Start by marking “And Never Stop Dancing: Thirty More True Things You Need to Know Now” as Want to Read:
And Never Stop Dancing: Thirty More True Things You Need to Know Now

And Never Stop Dancing: Thirty More True Things You Need to Know Now

Dr. Gordon Livingston's national bestseller, Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart, has drawn tens of thousands of readers who have embraced its thirty bedrock truths about life and how best to live it. Now, in And Never Stop Dancing, Dr. Livingston — a Vietnam War veteran, psychiatrist, and parent twice bereaved — offers thirty more true things we need to know now. The fresh truth ...more
Published March 22nd 2006 by Da Capo Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about And Never Stop Dancing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Never Stop Dancing

Susan
Jul 17, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The thirty brief essays in this book by a Columbia Md psychiatrist have wonderfully aphoristic titles: paradox governs our lives, much of what we think we know is untrue, forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves, every snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty, etc. He writes about family, love, grief, growing older, social and moral responsibilities, and his own life experiences, including his service in the military and Vietnam. One essay, "Attachment is the source of all suffering", begins " ...more
Will Redd
Feb 26, 2015 Will Redd rated it really liked it
Received this book as part of an "inherited library." A friend of a friend moved away, left the friend their books, and this was one of the books my friend didn't want, so he offered it and others to me. Since I'll read anything, and I have a Little Free Library to keep stocked, I took whatever he offered.

I enjoy these short-essay style bits of wisdom. In the same vein as Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, Livingston gives some quality bits of life advice. In some instances, his words helped me clarif
Sean Goh
Mar 15, 2014 Sean Goh rated it liked it
I read the description and laughed at the phrase "fresh truths". Probably half of the truths inside this book made an appearance in the previous work: "Too soon old, too late smart". Perhaps Livingston felt it was necessary to elaborate on things mentioned in passing.

Some define happiness as the ratio between accomplishment and expectations, and it must be noted that both are self-defined. We can be proud of the smallest achievements, if we so choose.

We do not release transgressors from accounta
Susan
Aug 14, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, my-ebooks
I love Dr. Livingston's books. There are always several passages that speak to me directly. He reminds me of things I already know but sometimes dont want to face.
Fred
Dec 13, 2008 Fred rated it it was amazing
Shelves: da-capo-press
Using the same short-essay approach that made Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart such a interesting and insightful read, And Never Stop Dancing collects 30 observations about how we live and relate to one another, distilling the wisdom of Dr. Livingston's experiences as a psychiatrist and a student of the human condition.

I am not usually a fan of self-help books. What makes this one stand out is its clear-eyed outlook and direct, unadorned style. Livingston does not hold to simple remedies to complex
Aman Dogra
Sep 08, 2014 Aman Dogra rated it it was ok
"Choose you partner VERY carefully; take care of your children; don't be worried by a divorce, just do it; don't parent if you are a step-parent; enjoy your old age; die gracefully".... these are few suggestions which the author has given in this book. The book seems like a senior citizen (who happens to be a psychiatrist too) sitting on a bench in a park, reflecting on his life. Nothing impressive.
I like the title of the book though. That is quite inspiring.
Alice
Jul 04, 2014 Alice rated it it was ok
OK, but way too much repetition of similar ideas from the first book (Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart). Also, the chapter titles (things to "know") often don't correspond completely with the content; at times the writing seems to veer off topic. Many chapters were somewhat lacking in structure and cohesiveness.

Nevertheless, there are some gems of wisdom throughout the book (and in the previous book) that are worth knowing.
Tallulah
Jun 08, 2014 Tallulah rated it it was ok
Though there were little nuggets of interesting insights, I found great swarths of this book, and its predecessor, largely useless. As others have described, many chapters were largely repetitive, espoused subjective experience as fact or were just personal stories that seemed to have no connection to a larger point.

Livingston's commentaries on the futility of war, the responsibility of nations and how he found meaning after the death of his sons I found particularly fascinating and worthwhile
Darlene Pienta
Mar 17, 2014 Darlene Pienta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Food for Thought

Thought-provoking, insightful discussion of grief, wholeness, authenticity, growing old by a psychoanalyst who suggests we know more than we think! He tells us we are ourselves sources of solutions to life's dilemmas. Highly recommended. I look forward to reading more of Dr. Livingston's writings.
Sylvie
Mar 14, 2009 Sylvie rated it liked it
Good inspiration, I would say a lot of wisdom from lifetime experience. I would recommend. Writing down quotes from the different books I read, I wrote 23 of them for this one, that is quite a lot! So for sure I would say that I found something in this book.

However, not being american, at time, I did not feel the same calling ... a bit moralist, certainly someone who is still angry at his government (Bush was President at the time of writing the book). Yes, we all know that Vietnam was a BIG mis
Juan Carlos
Sep 03, 2016 Juan Carlos rated it it was amazing
Great book! Wonderfully insightful. Very quick read. Although you may not agree with all of it, it's well worth the time.
Elizabeth m
Mar 07, 2016 Elizabeth m rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
Hmmm....not too keen on some of his statements, but he did have some god points....
Susan Reed
Sep 29, 2015 Susan Reed rated it it was ok
okay, occasionally preachy, not as good as first book
Sandra de koning-vd pol
Mooie inzichten inzichtelijk, het juiste boek op het juiste moment gelezen...
Lisa Rich
Feb 14, 2008 Lisa Rich rated it really liked it
I enjoy reading these sort of books...inspirational, how to be happy and kind etc...how to enjoy life. You only have to learn one new little thing and it is worth the read. This book in particular is easy to read...short chapters which one can read on their own without having to read the whole book.
Carmina
Jan 28, 2016 Carmina rated it it was amazing
The chapters are short but each brings an intriguing story endured by Livingston's personal life.( He is a master at story telling.) I consider this book authentic and very grounded. It brings consciousness and awareness through the defining lens of experience and age.
Kym Ryan -tomlinson
Jan 22, 2008 Kym Ryan -tomlinson rated it really liked it
This isn't a story it's simply inspiration an understanding, written by someone who has seen a fair bit and understands the human mind. i like books like this. who doesn't need a little bit more inspiration or knowlegde in their life
Wanda
Feb 23, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it
Interesting perspectives from a man that has many life experiences and a window into human behavior through his career choice. These are truly aspects in everyones lives and things we should all be contemplating. Good read!
Corina
Aug 16, 2008 Corina rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
I don't know what it was about this book but I had a hard time getting through it, something about him bugged me. Oh well, you win some you lose some :) I might try reading again at a later stage.
Bella
May 14, 2016 Bella rated it really liked it
Definitely contained some good advice. I think this was an appropriate read for me at this point in my life. Probably going to be a re-read!
Lynecia
A well written collection of 31 short essays full of "fatherly wisdom."
Natalie
Jul 02, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing
The sequel to Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart and it's just as genius! Everything I said about that one applies to this one too!
Laurie Baird
Jan 22, 2008 Laurie Baird rated it really liked it
Great self-contained chapters make it easy to break up the reading and digest the thoughts. Keep it on the nightstand!
Theresah
Jan 10, 2008 Theresah rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I'm currently reading the prequel to this book, and am surprised to find that I don't love it as much.
Ann
Mar 01, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful read!
It was fresh in insight, love, humor and wisdom.
And I'll never stop dancing..
SmarterLilac
Mar 09, 2009 SmarterLilac rated it it was amazing
This sequel is also terrific. Get these books; they increase emotional intelligence significantly.
Lisa
Jan 20, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A cute book that reminds you of the little things you already know, feel good book.
Sandy
Jan 30, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Gordon Livingston's perspective was too political for my taste.
Peggy Harshfield
Jun 20, 2012 Peggy Harshfield rated it it was amazing
Very informative. Enjoyed another Gordon Livingston book!
Liz
Sep 22, 2012 Liz added it
Nothing Wally new here. Not quite finished though.
  • Why We Work
  • Cartoon Guide to the Environment
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Climate Changed: A Personal Journey through the Science
  • Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living
  • How to Improve Your Marriage Without Talking About It: Finding Love Beyond Words
  • Even More Notes From the Universe: Dancing Life's Dance
  • Why People Fail: The 16 obstacles to success and how you can overcome them
  • The Dream of Reason: A History of Western Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance
  • Junius and Albert's Adventures in the Confederacy: A Civil War Odyssey
  • Cleaning Plain & Simple: A ready reference guide with hundreds of sparkling solutions to your everyday cleaning challenges
  • The Point of Vanishing: A Memoir of Two Years in Solitude
  • Running Through Corridors, Volume 1: The 60s: Rob and Toby's Marathon Watch of Doctor Who
  • Reading By Moonlight: How Books Saved A Life