Start by marking “Murder At The Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder At The Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #2)

Murder At The Rocks (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  664 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
When Laurence Harford, a prominent businessman and philanthropist is found murdered in the historic Rocks area of Sydney, Detective Chief Inspector Fitzjohn is asked to solve the crime quickly and discreetly. After barely starting his investigation, uncovering a discarded mistress and disgruntled employees, a second killing occurs.

Meanwhile, Laurence’s nephew, Nicholas Har
Published June 7th 2011 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Murder At The Rocks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder At The Rocks

Sharon
Detective Chief Inspector Alistair Fitzjohn has been delegated to solve the murder of Laurence Harford. Laurence was found in a lane way that runs beside his business in the Rocks in Sydney. Working on the case with him is Detective Sergeant Betts together they set out to investigate the crime at hand, but they quickly learn that Laurence was not a well liked man so narrowing down their suspects could be a little harder than they first thought.

The further they investigate, they discover that Lau
Carolyn
Oct 31, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well written, fast paced cozy crime set in Sydney. When a wealthy businessman is found murdered near his jewellery business in the rocks area of Sydney DI Alistair Fitzjohn is sent to investigate. What he finds leads him on to discover past crimes and cover-ups and a family's darkest secrets. Well told story, the only negative being that the characters were a bit underdeveloped. It was almost as if the story was rushing along at such a pace that the author didn't have time to flesh out ...more
Brenda
Apr 07, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Chief Inspector Fitzjohn has been handed a murder case which is very high profile, because the victim, Laurence Harford, is part owner of a huge jewellery and diamond business in the Rocks area of Sydney. When DCI Fitzjohn and his offsider, Detective Sergeant Betts arrive at the murder scene, which is in the lane beside the business, he was struck by the particularly gruesome manner of death, quite obviously not an accident!

As their investigation progresses, Dr Nicholas Harford, nephew
Terri Lynn
I adored this book!!! I hope this author will write a hundred more mysteries and obviously I now have to seek out the book that came before this one.
Detective Chief Inspector Fitzjohn has to solve the mystery of who murdered Laurence Harford. Harford was such a jerk, the question was really who wouldn't want to kill him? He had been cheating on his wife for years , he bullied his late brother Edward so much the man had a heart attack. he is trying to challenge Edward's will to rob Ed's son Dr.
Mike
Oct 12, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Fitzjohn mystery that I've read and I must say it was fairly enjoyable. Considering the dirtbag uncle that was murdered, it's a shame someone like that even deserves to have their killer brought to justice considering all that he did throughout his life which I shan't get into here as it'd spoil the book for you. I will saythat some of the secrets took a bit too long to be brought out; I can understand and appreciate creating anticipation and keeping the reader on the edge of t ...more
PortCityDeDe
Dec 30, 2015 PortCityDeDe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Engaging...

The plot developed at a pace sufficient to keep you on the edge of your seat and guessing . The characters came to live and draws you into their fictional wild.
Lee Holz
Murder At The Rocks is a well-written police procedural with a complex plot and has rounded, engaging characters. I haven’t given it a higher rating because it’s not the sort of murder mystery I like very much and I see it as a responsibility to say as much for readers with similar tastes. There’s one too many sealed letters and locked lockets for me. They strike me as being deus ex machina plot devices when used multiple times. Unfortunately, I missed this aspect in the book description. I regr ...more
Guy Allen
This is a murder/mystery set in Sydney, Australia. The story chronicles the investigations of two murders by Detective Chief Inspector Fitzjohn and his sidekick Sargeant Betts.
When an unpopular jewelery store owner, Lawrence Harford is found stabbed to death, there are multiple suspects with strong motives. Familial relationships involving the murdered man, his wife, his recently deceased brother and the brother's son, and the inheritance of the business, further complicate Fitzjohn's efforts in
Carlin
Jun 13, 2015 Carlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
I've now read #1, 2, & 4 in this excellent series. I read them out of order but that did not detract from my enjoyment of them. The Australian policemen, Fitzjohn and Betts, are well realized, especially Fitzjohn, a fascinating man. He is widowed before the series begins and has finally learned to love his dead wife's orchid collection to the point he decides to enter one in the Orchid Association contest. The main character in this novel is Nick Harford, a professor at a University in Sydne ...more
Babs
Nov 10, 2011 Babs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, suspense
Lets see we have blackmail, family secrets, dysfunctional family and to top it off a murder. The family secrets start to come out as you go along and the locket is known, but there is no key. Fitzjohn does not get along with his superior and skates by. Between the twists, taking care of flowers, and solving a murder I suspected almost everyone a long the way at certain points. This book is a must read as you will not want to put it down.
Pam
Feb 05, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give it 3 1/2, but thought it was worth rounding up to 4. This was a clean read and held my interest. I've always enjoyed a good mystery, but it's usually hard to find one that isn't filled with smut. My biggest complaint with this book was I found it hard to keep all of the characters straight. It took some interesting twists and turns along the way! I felt comfortable enough with it to let my "tween" read it.
Sharon Osenga
Mar 06, 2014 Sharon Osenga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laurence Hartford is murdered outside of the family jewelry business right after Nicholas Harford, heir to the business, has an argument with him. Viewed by the police as the most likely suspect, Nick sets out to find out who and why his uncle was killed. There is no lack of viable suspects and all of the little details that come to light throughout the story play into the final solution.

I had been in a reading slump for a few days when I started this book and, to my delight, I fell right into t
Carl
Apr 27, 2016 Carl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Murder at the Rocks" is the second in author Jill Paterson's Inspector Fitzjohn series. The first in the series is a very good mystery, "The Celtic Dagger," which introduces us to Chief Inspector Fitzjohn, although he actually has a more minor role in that novel. "Murder at the Rocks" is a well written, fast paced mystery set in Sydney, Australia. This is an enjoyable series, and if you like a good mystery, then I do recommend this series to you.

The series is set in and around Sydney, Australia
Sue
Dec 07, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I received a free download of "Murder At The Rocks" by Jill Paterson, through a smashwords coupon.I really enjoyed reading this book.I am an avid reader who enjoys reading mystery suspense thrillers.This book definately fits in this category.Detective Chief Inspector Fitzjohn has to solve the mystery of who murdered Laurence Harford. Harford was such a jerk, the question was really who wouldn't want to kill him? He had been cheating on his wife for years , he bullied his late brother Edward so m ...more
MsFolio
This was my first Jill Paterson and my first Fitzjohn book. A compelling mystery by an accomplished author. Set in The Rocks area of Sydney this story revolves around the deaths of two brothers (one of natural causes; one not), who are joint owners of a large jewelry business and diamond trading house. Detective Inspector Alistair Fitzjohn is sent to investigate. Concurrently, the son of one of the brothers, and possible suspect, also sets about investigating - in an attempt to clear his name. H ...more
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
I gave this one 3 stars because the story itself is good. I liked the story and the characters. Unfortunately, the book has copious punctuation issues: missing and extra quotes, overabundant misplaced commas. It also had a minor issue about what had previously been said to the police and some awkward spots.

Additionally the blurb in the beginning about the book needs desperately to be redone, since it includes events 70% of the way into the book.
Anna Marie
The reader meets characters only through their dialogue and the characters all have the same indistinguishable dialogue. The murder occurs early on then the "plot" travels straight line through an investigation of simply traveling to interview different characters and then re-interviewing a few. Takes place in Australia but could have been anywhere since very little location descriptions are given.
J. Ewbank
This book by Paterson is an interesng read. The plot is a little different from many books and thereby it is compelling to read. A jewelry store is featured and though I will not get into the plot, it is strong. The interplay between characters is good and as a whole I liked it.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Lyndsy
Jan 26, 2016 Lyndsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots going on in this one! A huge cast of characters, overlapping murders, and deep family secrets. It's fairly simply written and easy to follow.

What's interesting is that the main character - Detective Fitzjohn seems to take a backseat even though he's the common thread. I expect more and more to be revealed about him as the series continues.
Adrienne Testa
Mar 14, 2012 Adrienne Testa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicholas Harford lost his mother at a young age, his father sending him off to boarding school shortly after her death. As Nicholas Harford became an adult, he became estranged from his father by choosing another field of work, instead of going into the family jewelery business. Returning to Australia after a year long sabbatical, Nicholas Harford learns of his father's death and his Uncle Laurence wanting to contest his father's will. Of course the uncle ends up dead and Nicholas questions his ...more
Priss
Jan 09, 2016 Priss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written, I really enjoyed this book, and will probably read more in the series. Chief Inspector Fitzjohn, this takes place in Sydney, Australia. Nick Harford returns home to find that his father has passed away. He is named sole heir to a large fortune, which infuriates his uncle, Laurence. Then Laurence is murdered.
Liz Wood
Apr 10, 2016 Liz Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting

In this story, Fitzjohn actually emerges as more shadow in the background than primary protagonist. The true main character is Nicholas and his niggling little glimpses of something more sinister which will be disclosed later.
Betsy
Jun 11, 2015 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this story although I thought there were too many characters to keep straight. Glad to see the author let Fitzjohn do the investigating and not Nicholas. I liked the young man, but I did not want this Sydney-based procedural to become a cozy.
Mary Schildman
May 26, 2015 Mary Schildman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Convoluted

Oh my goodness! So many characters, so many motivations and so many twists and turns. For awhile I got lost, but hung in there. I must admit it didn't see which one was the murderer until the very end. Very good mystery
Susan
Oct 07, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Chief Inspector Fitzjohn is assigned to investigate the death of local business man Laurence Harford, The nephew, Nicholas Harford, having just returned from Ecuador is a suspect. What are the secrets that have been kept hidden by the family?
Jacki Danis
Jun 17, 2015 Jacki Danis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before forensics....

Before forensics took over crime solving, there was good old detective work. Ms Patterson weaves a tale where the reader learns the thought processes required to solve a crime .
Sheri
Dec 12, 2014 Sheri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder At The Rocks (An Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery - Book 2) by Jill Paterson

A businessman is found murdered in The Rocks area of Sydney. Inspector Fitzjohn is on the scene. Soon more people are dying and the suspect list is high.Then Nicholas Hartfod, nephew of the victim finds a mysterious locket. Family secrets are revealed as they get closer to finding the truth.

A fast paced murder mystery. Filled with secrets, a long list of suspects, and an interesting plot. The perfect classic who-done-it.
James M. Barkley
Nov 04, 2014 James M. Barkley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from author Jill Paterson

The second in the Fitzjohn series is not quite as good as the first but it is also worth the effort and time. I am looking forward to the next book.
Alfredia Haynes
Jun 09, 2015 Alfredia Haynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great clean mystery

This is my first book by this author but it won't be my last. I love her writing style and the intrigue without a lot of profanity. Definitely my kind of mystery.
ksstannard
Dec 28, 2015 ksstannard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Move over Agatha

What fun to wend one's way through a traditional British-style mystery. The cast of characters and red herrings abound so expect to take a while to sort it out.
  • Dead Pan (Daphne Martin, #2)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • Mass Murder (Giorgio Salvatori, #1)
  • Cold Open (Sam North Mystery #1)
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • Crescent City Kill (Skip Langdon, #7)
  • A Fatal Verdict (The Trials of Sarah Newby, #2)
  • Maui Widow Waltz (Islands of Aloha Mystery, #1)
  • Silent Counsel
  • Absolution (Frank Renzi, #1)
  • If You Can't Stand the Heat (Poppy Markham: Culinary Cop, #1)
  • Ascension Day
  • Progressive Dinner Deadly (Myrtle Clover Cozy Mysteries #2)
  • Deadly Business (Maid for Murder #1-4)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • Conundrum
  • Crazy Little Thing Called Dead (The Bree MacGowan Series, #3)
Jill Paterson is best known for her popular Fitzjohn mysteries. The first book in the series, The Celtic Dagger, was published in 2010 by New Holland Publishers after Jill came second in the 2008 New Holland Publishers & NSW Writers Centre Genre Fiction Award. Since then, through Amazon, she has independently published its second edition along with four further books in the series.
Jill has als
More about Jill Paterson...

Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery (5 books)
  • The Celtic Dagger (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery, #1)
  • Once Upon A Lie (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #3)
  • Lane's End (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery #4)
  • Deadly Investment (Alistair Fitzjohn Mystery, #5)

“he said, ‘I don’t understand.” 0 likes