Start by marking “A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3 part 1)” as Want to Read:
A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3 part 1)

A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo / Das Lied von Eis und Feuer #5)

4.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  46,145 Ratings  ·  1,462 Reviews
George R.R. Martin's superb and highly acclaimed epic fantasy A Song of Ice and Fire continues with the third in the series A Storm of Swords. There is passion here, and misery and charm, grandeur and squalor, tragedy, nobility and courage. Unabridged and split into two parts. The Seven Kingdoms are divided by revolt and blood feud, and winter approaches like an angry beas ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Storm of Swords, please sign up.

Mitali Robert Baratheon's paternal grandmother was a Targaryen (Rhaelle Targaryen, the youngest daughter of King Aegon V). This means that Robert and his…moreRobert Baratheon's paternal grandmother was a Targaryen (Rhaelle Targaryen, the youngest daughter of King Aegon V). This means that Robert and his brothers were a quarter Targaryen.(less)

Kristin
May 04, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better than the last book, not as good as the first. Altogether an interesting story, but the pace of the series is very slow and if GRRM mentions one more banner/sigil, I'm gonna lose it...
Col
Feb 09, 2014 Col rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews about this book: people complaining about a slow story line and a ridiculously cruel world where anyone can be killed off without a second thought. My response is: if you want a quick, happy clappy mushy book, you need to get yourself to the romance section. Or even better, the young adult section.

My biggest pet peeve in books is feeling that characters are safe. I want people to die. I want people to be miserable. It tells me that the author is serious and
Cait (Paper Fury)
OKAY SO I'M DONE PART 1!! I feel a little intimidated since this is, um, a 600-page part one. Oh gosh. What have I done by getting so embroiled in this series?! THERE IS NO ESCAPE.
But I'm supposed to be reviewing this. Right. Let's get on with it.

A Storm of Swords (so far) has been waaaay better than A Clash of Kings. It's faster! More action! More character development! There haven't been many surprising or awful deaths (at least of the main characters). And some of the barely-introduced-chara
Kai
Jun 15, 2016 Kai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
"Night falls for all of us in the end, and too soon for some.”

Part 1 of A Storm of Swords was less exciting than it's companions. I grew tired of most of the character's plot lines and couldn't get enough of others. I especially love that we finally get introduced to the Tyrells and the Dornish people. They definitely belong to my favourite characters and make all the events in King's Landing even more exciting.

While I really like Brienne I don't care much for yet another long journey with une
Tim Howard
Jan 12, 2014 Tim Howard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
The first volume of the third book of A Song of Ice and Fire is a 600pp behemoth in its own right. I loved the first two books, but GRRM is really revved up here. I'm not sure I have ever read a novel in which so much shit has gone down. Every chapter brings unexpected twists of fate, and at least two chapters ended with me shaking my head and whispering, "Oh. Fuck me."

If you're into this series, you don't need me to tell you to read this, and indeed you probably did so years ago. If you're not
Camilla
Jan 17, 2016 Camilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.
Josh
George R R Martin had fun with this instalment – the evidence is in the dialogue and actions of the characters who manage to find moments of jocularity amidst the chaos of war. Tyrion Lannister is his usual swashbuckling self with a sharper sense of violence honed through bloody battle and everyday dealing with his treacherous domesticated life. Robb Stark breaks an oath and gains comfort of the flesh – a choice sure to have ramifications on the war effort. While King Joffrey continues to echo t ...more
Paul
Dec 01, 2014 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2014
Westeros is still in the grip of the War. Joffrey Baratheon holds the Iron Throne, but Robb Stark, Balon Greyjoy and Stannis Baratheon, jostle for their claim with blood and steel. Catelyn Stark has released Jaime Lannister as an exchange for her daughters, Sansa and Arya, who she still believes are at King's Landing. Having been victorious until now, Robb Stark suffers setbacks, and learns that Winterfell has been taken, and his other brothers are now presumed dead.

In the North the Wildlings ar
Maxi  ❥
Apr 12, 2016 Maxi ❥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maxi ❥ by: Serendipity
Shelves: own-and-read, 2015
*4.5 stars*

EPIC AS FUCK.
Can't wait to read part two!
Kirstine
It is a good book.
Rationally I know this. And I did enjoy it. There are some great characters, great stories and great writing. It's a very imaginative and epic tale. And it has tons of things I love, like dragons and sword fighting and magic and a huge wall of ice AND WILDLINGS. Rationally I know this.

But.. My emotional response?
Too many characters.
Too many storylines.
Too many things happening in different places.
AHHH. My poor head.

The things is, I care about too few of the PoV characters
Elena
Jun 26, 2015 Elena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes yes yes! Oh how I love this series!
Ashton Gibbs ♥ BB&B
A Storm of Sword: Steel and Snow (Part One) – George R.R. Martin

“Martin has captured the imagination of millions.” - Guardian

The above quote which is featured on the front of the book holds so so true. George R.R. Martin is sheer brilliance when it comes to creating an exciting world for readers. Even now, after reading over 2,000 pages of A Song of Ice and Fire, George R.R. Martin is adding details that deepen our knowledge of the land, the history and the people of this spectacular world,
Adam Woodward
NOTE: When reviewing these books, I will not allow my love of the show to influence the score; if the show is ever mentioned, it will not be for the purpose of comparison.

Due to 'A Storm of Swords' colossal size, the book is split into two parts in the UK: 'Steel and Snow', and 'Blood and Gold'. Because of this, I decided it was unfair to review this book as a complete experience and will instead review it in the same way I might answer the question "So how is it so far?", as I'm technically on
DramaQueen
After finishing A Clash Of Kings I couldn't contain myself: I had to pick up the first part in The Song of Ice and Fire-series immediately. And... I finished this bad boy in seven days. I loved A Clash Of Kings, but o my god. I can't even begin to explain how much shit goes down in this first volume of the third book (A Storm of Swords is split in two books (in most editions at least), namely: Steel and Snow and Blood and Gold).

"The night is dark and full of terrors, the day bright and beautifu
Sonja - Intellectual Badass
time slept when swords woke
I'm loving the way the series progresses. There is not a single boring moment. I'm off to Part 2. Ciao.

P.S.
A Song of Ice and Fire is a series that won't disappoint. It only gets better and better. Promise. If you can't accept that as a fact of LIFE then all I've got to say to you is this:
"You know nothing, Jon Snow."

A Song of Ice and Fire (Book Reviews)
1. A Game of Thrones: 5 Great First Stars
2. A Clash of Kings: 5 Royal Stars
3.2 A Storm of Swords Pt. 2: 5 Blood
Célia
"A Tormenta de Espadas" é a primeira parte do original "A Storm of Swords", geralmente considerado o melhor volume publicado até agora das Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, da autoria de George R.R. Martin. Apesar de ainda só ter lido metade (do livro original), posso dizer que de todos os volumes lidos até agora este foi o meu preferido. O motivo para isto é que, para além de todos os aspectos positivos presentes nos volumes anteriores, este livro é consistente no que diz respeito ao interesse gerado pe ...more
Lisa
Carmo Santos
Comecei este livro com grande expectativa e terminei-o já a acusar algum cansaço. A guerra fez uma pausa no campo de batalha mas as estratégias continuam nos salões nobres. Forjam-se alianças e casamentos para consolidar o poder, casamentos tão estapafúrdios, que não admira que houvesse tantos bastardos.
Gostei da evolução da história em torno da Daenerys e pouco mais. Demasiadas personagens, não vou (nem sequer tento) fixar tantos nomes e tenho dúvidas se irão ter um papel relevante no evoluir d
Gregory
Aug 18, 2012 Gregory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
New favorite character: Queen of Thorns. Other than that, I thought this book was the worst entry so far. It was so full of characters complaining (I'm giving a hard side-eye to Sam & Davos, especially) & chapters that didn't really go anywhere, plot-wise. Plus, Martin's sex scenes have gone beyond tiresome & have become completely laughable. Dude, where's my male gaze? Oh, it's lingering on Ygritte's/Brienne's/Shae's "teats."

I will say, howevs, that I'm liking what Martin is doing w
Sara
Dec 17, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok, the third volume is clearly the best, i love the pacing, the main characters, the story.... everything... literally, there is such a quality jump from the 2nd volume to the 3rd, i am so impressed and happy with this. can't wait to read the other half, and fingers crossed for my ships and fav charas.
Nivedita (thebooklovingnerd)
THIS WAS EPICCCC!
I cannot wait to read the next one.
Hissa Reads
The first book is still my favorite one:(
Liz
Oct 09, 2013 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing I have to say about reading Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is that I can never go straight into the next one without getting some literary respite from a few other books first, despite the books always ending on about 20 different cliffhangers.

The novels are well written, and obviously have had an immense amount of work put into the writing. However, firstly they're REALLY complex. Just when you think you've got a handle on all the characters, another 5 pop up from somewhere, who y
Susana
A fama desta saga é bem merecida!
Apesar da enorme quantidade de personagens e da complexidade da história, tanto nos acontecimentos que decorrem no presente como nas inúmeras referências ao passado, o autor conduz-nos de forma magistral, a seu bel-prazer, de uma ponta à outra de Westeros e "dentro" dos vários protagonistas - como se fôssemos "wargs" - levando-nos numa direção para depois, inesperadamente, nos atirar noutra. E a gente gosta, e quer mais!

Os meus personagens favoritos continuam a s
Georgia
Feb 21, 2013 Georgia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
You know, at this point I don’t even know where to start talking about this series. I am truly and completely enamoured with it, and George R. R. Martin is a sheer genius. I could literally leave this review there, but I suppose that would be unfair!

A Storm of Swords Part One was a great read from the get go. The prologue raised the hairs on the back of my neck when the arrival of the Others was announced, and let’s just say Chett’s reaction was probably rather accurate. I’m trying to think of h
Natalia
Dec 12, 2015 Natalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of my friends told me that this book is much more fast paced from the start than Clash of Kings and I couldn't agree more. So much happens that it made me keep on reading until the very end. As most of you know my plan with this series was to read one volume then watch the season of that volume from the Game of Thrones tv show however as the tv show was so good I could keep myself from watching all the episodes that are out so far. After I finished watching the tv show I thought I wouldn't ...more
Susi
Aug 25, 2015 Susi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5 tai 4, en tiedä. Välillä vähän tylsä, Davos on ärsyttävä. Mut toisaalta Jaimen luvut...

Vähän nyt taukoa kun mennyt näitä järkäleitä parin viikon sisään kolme (2,5). Hieno kirja kuitenkin. Sarja.
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Good. Yep.
Craig "NEEDS MORE DAMN TIME TO READ !!!!"
Yet another great read in this wonderful series! As usual the intertwined storyline is thrilling, keeps you reading and on edge in most cases. The lines of who to like or hate are still blurred which makes for an interesting read. The sense of impending doom is building more too. Finally, again, it ends with you wanting to delve straight into the next book, which of course I plan to do :)
Anni
Jul 12, 2015 Anni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aina vain parempi kuin edellinen osa. En ymmärrä kuinka pystyin elämään viikon tämä kirja keskeneräisenä.
For people who have read and watched Game Of Thrones Series? 3 18 Sep 07, 2015 06:04PM
I still don't like Jaime Lannister. 12 175 Oct 02, 2014 01:49AM
GOT Season Four 7 31 Jul 05, 2014 11:13AM
Please help 8 67 Jan 05, 2014 01:35AM
The Red Wedding 4 74 Jun 18, 2013 01:29AM
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - Parte 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • A Marca de Kushiel (Kushiel, #2)
  • A Voz da Vingança (Tigana, #2)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • Presságios de Inverno (Acácia, #2)
  • Os Pilares da Terra - Volume II (Os Pilares da Terra, #1)
  • The Earthsea Quartet (Earthsea Cycle, #1-4)
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 2
  • Krew elfów (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo / Das Lied von Eis und Feuer (10 books)
  • Die Herren von Winterfell (Das Lied von Eis und Feuer, #1)
  • A Muralha de Gelo (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #2)
  • A Fúria dos Reis (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #3)
  • O Despertar da Magia (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo #4)
  • A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2 of 2)
  • O Festim dos Corvos (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, #7)
  • O Mar de Ferro (As Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, #8)
  • A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust (A Song of Ice and Fire #5, Part 1 of 2)
  • A Dance with Dragons: After the Feast (A Song of Ice and Fire #5, Part 2 of 2)

“Why ask for truth when you close your ears to it? - Ser Barristan Selmy to Daenerys” 25 likes
“Why would the stars want to look down on such as me?” 13 likes