Start by marking “Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway” as Want to Read:
Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway

Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  817 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Sensing the need for a thoughtful, balanced book to explain our deeply troubling national political process, Dave Barry has not even come close. Still, though he has covered every presidential campaign since 1984 for The Miami Herald, has run for president several times, and run for cover at the rainy inauguration of George W. Bush (the man will stop at nothing for his art ...more
Published October 29th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published October 2nd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway

Jen
Overall, it was a good book, but the section on Florida politics was hysterical! I still can't beleive any of that actually happened.
Chris
When an election year comes around, I try really hard to stay above the fray. I know that there will be rumors and speeches and policies that get everyone really riled up, and I like to think that I can remain emotionally detached and not allow things to get under my skin.

I usually last until about the Conventions, at which point the slumbering poli-sci major in my brain wakes up and grabs the controls. At that point, I start to take things WAY too seriously. I write long, link-filled diatribes
Lemondrop
Dave Barry has been making me laugh hard enough to spray my drink out my nose since I was a kid and read Dave Barry Slept Here: A (Sort of) History of the United States for the first time. As I've gotten older, the generational gap plus a SLIGHT lean to the right in his politics - in the rare instances where he alludes to them - have put a bit of a wedge between us, but it's a teeny, tiny wedge - a sliver, really. He tends to rely on broad, Regular-Joe stereotypes for punchlines, and usually, th ...more
John Guzzardo
When Dave Barry's humor is firing on all cylinders, you need to wear absorbent undergarments to prevent an accident. "Hits Below the Beltway" is Barry at his very best! His extremely sarcastic adaptation of the United States Constitution makes this worth the read on its own. Explains of the Congress, the Presidency and how America deals with its own government makes this book a clinic in biting political commentary. PJ O'Rouke would be proud of this work, and Barry himself hits the ball out of t ...more
Robb Bridson
Runs the gauntlet between occasional hilarity, funny-but-overdone, and groan-worthy running gagness.

I never really read (or heard-- this was the audiobook version) Dave Barry before; I just knew he was a very silly guy. And he does not disappoint. Unfortunately the jokes get to be kind of tedious over the course of all the pages/discs.

Also this being Dave Barry's shot at political satire surprisingly made it less enjoyable for me, as a political junky. He aims for a more general audience and us
Dolly
I am a big fan of Dave Barry's books. I've read a dozen of them so far, and I love his acerbic wit. His books are quick, funny reads.

I picked this book up specifically since I live in the D.C. area and I thought it would offer some barbed, but humorous thoughts on our great capital. It has a fairly dated feel to it, especially with jokes about Ted Kennedy, Strom Thurmond (I'm sure the jokes were funnier when they were alive), as well as Monica Lewinsky, dimpled chads and Whitewater (I wonder if
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/313691.html[return][return]Dave Barry is one of the funniest writers in the English language, but he is best at the length of his newspaper columns - his one novel, Big Trouble, is surprisingly flat. I did like his book on American history, Dave Barry Slept Here. This book, nominally about Washington DC and the US political system, contains some beautiful laugh out loud moments and some bits that are less memorable. One passage that stood out for me was his description ...more
Jill Minor
Right up there with Wodehouse as a guaranteed mood lifter. Do not read with food; you might asphyxiate in a fit of hysteria. And bear in mind that "piracy on the low seas is ok" in the Barry Constitution. . .oh, that did it. I can't. . .
Laurie
a funny read for summer, although slightly dated from 2001, a lot of funny cynical truth still remains. My favorite humorist still.
Tyler
Synopsis: The humor columnist for the Miami Herald writes about the history of politics and the United States government.

My Review: While you never know if Dave Barry is speaking the truth or not, this book was certainly an entertaining read. Barry pokes fun at everything he can fit into his 208 pages. In many ways, I found the book to actually be quite eye-opening to the excesses and poor practices of our government. Imagine if the government actually worked the way the founding fathers meant i
Emily
This book is HILARIOUS!! Just like all of Dave Barry's stuff! This isn't one of his 'normal' collections of columns, though. It's an actual (mostly) cohesive book. I just love the guy! He makes everything SO funny! This is a great parody on politics and modern Washington D.C.--and even 'ancient'! He discusses why we don't have amazing presidents like George Washington, Theodore Roosevelt, and Thomas Edison (HA!) anymore... and also why things take so long in the gov't. Hilarious! Read it!
Lee Gunter
Dave Barry is one of the funniest men currently working in the English language. Which is ironic, since he is from Miami where nobody speaks English.
How can I not love a book that is the closest thing I've found to reflecting my own frustration with American government. AND he has not one, not two, not three... okay, I'm kidding - yes three. Three GBNs (good band name) references. Salute.
Michael
This one rivals Dave Barry Turns 40 as my favorite Dave Barry book, although that might be because I have an unhealthy obsession with politics. He takes shots at both of the big parties, so don't worry that yours will be left out.

He also takes shots at The West Wing, despite the fact that it's the best show ever. Just so you know, I don't approve of that bit. Bad Dave.
Joel Simon
This is an enjoyable, funny, quick read. Any fan of Dave Barry's will recognize and enjoy his easy, flowing style. There are some laugh out loud moments in this book, particularly his review of the 2000 U.S. presidential election and his review of American history during colonial times. Makes a nice diversion from reading serious books all the time.
David Allen
This sank, ostensibly because of poor timing with 9/11, but possibly because the cover is unappealing and the text has a lot of tired jokes. Chapter 3, which mocks government waste, is sharp, while the rest is all over the place. If the similarly themed "America" by Jon Stewart is a grand slam, this is a bunt.
Gary Phelps
A hilariously warped take on the history of American politics that ranks with the best. Even though the writing consists of Barry's trademark surrealist sarcasm, it all makes perfect sense (which is kind of sad if you think about it). The chapter on the presidential election of 2000 is a classic.
Charlynn
I LOVE Dave Barry. He makes me laugh out loud with every single page. Sometimes it's just a quiet laugh, sometimes I laugh so hard I cry and I can't breathe. He says what we're all thinking, and I am constantly amazed that one person can be so funny and make a point at the same time.
Kathy
Dave Barry is amazing. He can make me laugh; he can make me cry. This wasn't his best book, but it hit the funny bone quite regularly. He pokes fun at all sides of the aisle. Watch out for the giant zucchini. (PS, this one is clean, unlike some of his novels.)
Susan Kelley
Although the material is somewhat dated (pre 9/11), I still found the book rather amusing. Barry's take on government is pretty giggle-worthy, though he does take a nearly disc-long sidetrip into everything that makes his homestate of Florida weird.
Cathi95
I've read Barry before and enjoy his commentary on the world. This one worked well. The only thing I regretted is that it was not more current. Guess I will have to check and see if he has written anything politically slanted since!
Greg Miller
Highly amusing, as usual... started great, and best part was Dave's version of the Constitution. Tangents about Florida near end got tedious - still prefer "Dave Barry Slept Here."
Matt
I found Barry's columns about politics funny, but necessarily spectacular...until I hit the section of the book describing Miami politics. I was laughing so hard I was crying.
Cathy Gulkin
The first half was just a rehash of old Barry stuff. The second half was far funnier, very close to the truth of how things run, but I didn't appreciate his Cuba rant.
Ritja
Es sollte satirisch sein und sich mit der Politik der USA beschäftigen. Leider ist es nicht wirklich satirisch und die Handlung ist ein eher flach als unterhaltend.
Kimberly
yep, his typical, insightful humor
Ashlie
This book is laugh out loud funny, and I live "inside the beltway". Slightly outdated in a few parts, but generally pretty darn funny.
Lori
Anything you read by him will always be funny. I don't want to spoil it for you by writing a silly review. Just read him!
I thought I might have a different view of politics with a different administration, but I am still just as cynical as Dave is.
Amy
see comment on other dave barry books... his schtick gets real old real fast, but is "my best friend's mom LOVES him" funny
Matthew
I listened to this while driving to work, bad idea. There were times I was laughing so hard I almost ran off the road.
  • Last Chapter and Worse
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Dogbert's Top Secret Management Handbook
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy and Other Misheard Lyrics
  • Welcome to Jasorassic Park: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Extra Nutty! Even More Letters from a Nut!
  • Ranting Again
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
  • All I Know About Animal Behavior I Learned In Loehmann's Dressing Room
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, Volume II
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“A short distance away is the Tidal Basin, ringed by cherry trees that every year produce flowers, an event to which Washingtonians react as though it were the Second Coming of Christ.” 14 likes