Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)

Cookie Dough or Die (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  808 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Olivia Greyson is the proud owner of The Gingerbread House—a quaint shop that specializes in all things cookie—and her best friend, Maddie, is her sidekick, baking up scrumptious treats for their cookie-themed parties. But now they must take a break from baking and turn their attention to recreating a recipe for murder...

No one is more shocked than Olivia when prominent bu...more
Published April 5th 2011 by Berkley (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Cookie Dough or Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cookie Dough or Die

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I found this book very gentle and handled being a new series well. There were murder mysteries and the clues were placed, not obviously, throughout the book. I had a sense of the culprit but was not sure until the ending.

I would make the recommendation that our new friends, Olivia and Maddie learn to eat something other than pizza. I do understand about not being a 'cook' but a baker, however, with the world of take-out at our finger tips, it seems, a lasagna, ravioli, sub-sandwich, something?

T...more
Robin
I found the whole situation unbelievable. How could a store completely devoted to selling cookie cutters plus a few baking utensils support two employees? The characters are suppose to be in their early thirties and have the experiences of people of that age (college, careers, failed first marriages) but act as though they barely in their twenties acting like moon-sick calves with their new love-interests, throwing caution to the wind trying to catch a dangerous murderer, and even eating nothing...more
LORI CASWELL
Olivia Greyson is the owner of The Gingerbread House which occupies the first floor of her Victorian home in Chatterley Heights. It is a shop that features cookie cutters and other baking items. Olivia lives upstairs with her tiny dog Spunky. Olivia (Livie) and her friend Maddie run the shop and Maddie bakes and creates the most yummy cookies. Olivia gets to be close friends with prominent Chatterley Heights citizen and business woman Clarisse Chamberlain who also has a passion for cookie cutter...more
Arlene
Wow, a mystery centered around cookie cutters and collectors. I love that this book is dedicated to members of the Cookie Cutter Collector's Club and to our newsletter "Cookie Crumbs". I wish there was a shop like the Gingerbread House in my city! She talks about D.C. collectors coming in a van to shop at her little store. I am wondering if any of my friends were in that van? I do wish that she had included a little bit more of the cookie cutter lore.
This is an example of a "cozy mystery". Oliv...more
Cathy
The mystery itself was fine; plenty of suspects, plenty of motives and red herrings to keep the reader guessing.

But I am a knit-picker, so I question whether a town that is so small that it only has two officers of the law could really support a store that specializes in cookie cutters (Unless it is a known tourist destination, but then wouldn't there be more that two police officers?) and provide enough income for two people. Also, did Livie and Maddie sell the cookies they made or only use the...more
Nicole Cadet
While this is an enjoyable mystery romp (being the first in the series), with some well rounded interesting characters, it was be a little slow in parts. There seemed to be at times a repetitiveness with the descriptions of the baking and decoration of cookies (yes, the primary character and her sidekick run a cookie cutter store with a side of catering, but it did detract at times from the main story).

The books did not give away too many hints about who the actual killer was, which was probabl...more
Tammy
I wanted to like this book because it takes place in a cookie cutter shop named The Gingerbread House (how cute is that?) I liked the main character, Olivia (or Livie, as she likes to be called)because she is smart, tough, and determined. Her dog, Spunky, is a realistic characteration of a typical small dog, all bark and a lot of love. The way the story evolved, in my opinion, was too slow at the beginning. However, it really picked up during the last 100 pages of the book. Overall, it was an en...more
Jess
I really hate to give a bad review... that's why I'm not... I just really think it was me this time and not the book. I just couldn't get into the plot and the characters. I will have to pick it up and re-read it at a later date... so...

Dear Cookie Dough or Die,

I sincerely regret to inform you, that I am finished reading you (for now). It is just not working out between us and to be truthful... I'm just not that in to you. Fortunately it is not your fault... this time it's all me. Don't worry.....more
Kate
Oliva owns a cookie cutter shop with her best friend Maddie. When her mentor dies under suspicious circumstances, and the police think it was accidental suicide, Oliva makes it her mission to find out what really happened. I really enjoyed this book- especially the small town setting, Olivia's relationship with Maddie (which is tested by Maddie's new love), and Olivia's Yorkie Spunkey. I also liked the cookie cutter theme (I had no idea they were so collectible!) and the baking/cookie decorating...more
Grey853
Do people really collect cookie cutters? I guess so, probably the same people who collect salt and pepper shakers. It takes all kinds.

Livie Greyson runs The Gingerbread House that makes cookies and sells cookie cutters. When a friend and fellow collector dies, Livie's not convinced that it was an accident. Unlike some of the more recent cozies I've read, she at least investigates without being an idiot about it.

I found it an easy, fluffy read, no heavy lifting needed. For a first book in a seri...more
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Well, I started out not liking this book and putting it back down to read others. But I think it may have just been the mood I was in, because when I picked it back up I fell immediately into the story. Nice plot line and even though you know who the strongest suspects are throughout most of the book, she did a nice job of keeping me from guessing who really did it. Nice character development as well. This book was enjoyable enough that I'll read the next one.
Casey
I enjoyed this book very much. I wihs there was a recipe in the back for cookie dough, as I have never tried to make cookies like these, now I'm ready to give it a chance. I liked the characters, but had a hard time picturing them in my mind. (just me, probably) It was a nice between books read, easy to follow - although I still didn't figure out who did it. (I never do!)
If you have some reading time on your hands, and enjoy a little myster give it a try.
Cozy Reader
Best friends, Olivia and Maddie, own The Gingerbread House, a cookie shop that specializes in not just cookies, but cookbooks, cookie cutters… everything cookies! When Olivia learns that her dear friend, Clarisse Chamberlain, has passed away, she’s devastated. Clarisse was her mentor and close friend. When the circumstances surrounding Clarisse’s death don’t add up, Olivia and Maddie take it upon themselves to investigate and find out what happened.

COOKIES! I love cookies, everyone loves cookies...more
Fanficfan44
I just finished this cozy mystery, Cookie Dough or Die by Virginia Lowell. The theme is not cookie baking, although there is some of that going on, but rather a shop that sells all things cookie related with an emphasis on cookie cutters, both antique collectibles and the everyday kind.

The sleuth, Olivia or Livie as she prefers to be called, is a divorced woman living with her mother who owns The Gingerbread House, the cookie and everything cookie related shop. She has a dog, Spunky, and a partn...more
Gail
This is my first cookie cutter mystery, and it was better than I had anticipated. The main characters we were defined with room to grow. Whether they cook or not, they need to expand their menus beyond Petes diner and pizza. Ellie is a character I hope to see more of in future stories .
Sam
While the premise behind the main character's shop seems somewhat dubious (can one REALLY make a living off of selling 97-cent cookie cutters?!), I tried my best to go along with this new series. This debut title was mediocre. I made it through and, with somewhat of a sense of girding my loins, turned to the second in the series. But I lacked the enthusiasm I want to feel by the end of a debut novel's final pages. Lowell's main characters are curiously lifeless and one-dimensional, and I felt th...more
Liora
In this first book in a new cozy mystery series, Olivia owns a shop called The Gingerbread House which sells cookies, cookie cutters, and specialty bakeware. The store is on the ground floor of a restored old Victorian in the downtown area of a small town in Maryland. Olivia and her small Yorkshire pup, Spunky, live upstairs. The book opens with the death of Olivia's friend and business mentor, Clarisse Chamberlain, apparently an accidental overdose of sleeping pills that were dissolved into a b...more
Sapphyria
Olivia (Livie) Greyson is the owner of The Gingerbread House, a store on the main level of her Victorian home in Chatterley Heights. The Gingerbread House is a quaint little store that specializes in cookie cutters; from brand new to antique. Olivia also owns a rescue dog named Spunky who certainly brings his own bit of charm to the story, and his interactions in the park with his lab friend Buddy, who is owned by the Deputy Sheriff, is just awesome. Olivia's business partner is her best friend,...more
Aurian Booklover
I liked Olivia, or Livie as she wants to be called. She is recently divorced from a very controlling husband, for whom appearances are everything. So now she is slowly discovering herself, and allowing herself to do the things she likes and he did not. He liked to criticize her, wanting her to be the perfect arm candy and hostess to his associates. A dog was totally out of the question, so one of the first things Livie did, was adopt a little puppy.
Olivia loves baking, and she has been collecti...more
Heather
Title: Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery Series #1)

Author: Virginia Lowell

ISBN: 9780425240670

Publisher: Berkley

Synopsis (from BN.com):

Olivia Greyson is the proud owner of The Gingerbread House-a quaint shop that specializes in all things cookie-and her best friend, Maddie, is her sidekick, baking up scrumptious treats for their cookie-themed parties. But now they must take a break from baking and find a killer, or else their reputation-and quite possibly their lives-will be batte...more
Jenn
Culinary Cozies thinks COOKIE DOUGH OR DIE is a “Delicious Read.” This first book in the Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery series, by Virginia Lowell, was a cut about the rest.

Olivia Greyson, the owner of The Gingerbread House, was shocked when her business mentor and dear friend was found dead. Was it accidental suicide? Olivia didn’t think so. Clarisse had helped her put her life together after a divorce and offered level-headed advice about moving forward … Suicide was simply not her style. There ha...more
Tara
I read this one for my Cozy Mystery book group and I don't think I would have picked it up without the nudge. It was a cute story, but I did not love it.
Livie, her mom, and Maddie were great characters, but some of the secondary characters were a bit one-dimensional. I did love that this book took place in Maryland. I love it when books take place in locales that I recognize.
I was almost sad that Clarisse was the one that died and not Tammy... Tammy's character really annoyed me (which is why I...more
Sharon
This is the first book in a new series. Olivia Greyson is the owner of the Gingerbread House, which offers all things "cookie" to the residents of Chatterley Heights. Her friend and employee, Maddie Briggs, and her little canine companion, Spunky, round out the normal shop occupants. When Olivia's business mentor, and friend, Clarrise Chamberlain is found dead, Olivia decides to track down the killer. The local sheriff is ready to rule the death a suicide.
I enjoyed the Virginia Lowell's charact...more
Julie
I loved this cozy mystery by Virginia Lowell! I just finished a dark, graphic, violent serial killler type novel and needed something a bit lighter . I couldn't put this one down.
Olivia, (livvy) owns a cookie shop with her good friend Maddie. Since moving back to her small hometown, Livvy became close with Clarrise. When Clarrise is found dead, Olivia can't believe it. It looks like Clarrise either accidentally consumed too much wine while taking pills, or committed suicide. Livvy just doesn't...more
Darlene Ferland
Virginia Lowell's series starts off with a with a fun read. . . The story begins with a Gingerbread House and a retail store filled with all things cookie. Olivia and Maddie are best friends,since grade school,and business partners. The store caters to cookie cutter collectors and that is only the beginning of story. . . The town of Chatterly Heights is a comfortable read and you'll be waiting to buy the next book in the series!
Jill
The first cozy I've read in a while that didn't make me say, "meh." I actually wanted to finish reading it because I cared about where the story was going rather than because I had started, so might as well finish. I liked the main character and the supporting characters are quirky without being too out there. The mystery was not too complex, but that's what I like for a fun read.
Crys (The Hodgenator)
I really enjoyed the story and the pacing.

Livie and Maddie are a fun twosome at both running The Gingerbread House and solving a mystery. These two friends have strong on-page chemistry, with Livie being the practical one and Maddie having all of the great lines.

And what is a mystery novel without a mystery? This one kept me guessing until the very end, which I like. Sometimes I figure them out too early and it's not as fun.
Bookadventurer
If you were a fan of Joanna Fluke's Hannah Swenson series, but it lost you because of the whole Mike/Norman triangle, then this is a great new "cookie" series that is very reminiscent of Hannah.

Strong start to a new series; I wasn't even aware there's a collectible market for antique cookie cutters until this book. I also liked the way the author lightly brought attention to animal shelters through Olivia's dog, Spunky. Good mystery and likable characters; however like other reviews, I too was a...more
Text Addict
I did not know, before I read this book's acknowledgments, that there is a National Cookie Cutter Collectors Club. I suspect they don't keep theirs all jumbled in a large glass jar, the way I do.

But, about the book! Not riveting, but a good job. I can't think of a thing wrong with it, actually, aside from my doubts about whether a shop specializing in cookie cutters could possibly survive, and the fact that it was easy to put down and ignore for days at a time.

Basically it failed to generate mu...more
Amelia-Irene
This is the start of a new series, Cookie Cutter Shop, and this starts with the person who has encouraged Olivia to open a shop is found dead and it's not natural. Olivia is the prime suspect, even though Clarisse had been one of her best friends as well as one of her best customers. Olivia needs to get the suspision off of herself and her store, The Gingerbread House, and will stop at nothng to find out why Clarisse's life was cut short.

Another nic thing about this series is that it is giving...more
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • Double-Booked for Death (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Grind (A Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers,  #1)
  • Buried in a Book (Novel Idea, #1)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Under Pressure (A Manor House Mystery, #1)
A Cookie Before Dying (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2) When the Cookie Crumbles (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #3) One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4) Cookies and Scream (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #5)

“She consoled herself with the thought that she looked terrifying.” 3 likes
“You can't control another person's agenda. You can only be clear about your own.” 1 likes