Start by marking “Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why” as Want to Read:
Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why

Christianity's Family Tree: What Other Christians Believe and Why

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This book is excellentfor individual readingor can be used as the small group study book for the Christianity's Family Tree DVD based study. Adam Hamilton is, in my opinion, a national treasure. He embodies the kind of generous orthodoxy so many of us have been dreaming of and praying for. This book provides something truly unique a kind of orientation to Christianity in i ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Christianity's Family Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christianity's Family Tree

Laura Dallas
Many people in the church today do not know much about their denomination’s history and even less about the history of other Christian denominations. Why is it important to know these things? What is the difference? Hamilton begins to answer these questions in this study while providing the historical knowledge and background needed to understand the branches on Christianity’s family tree. Starting at the very beginning with Orthodoxy and leading up to Methodism, Hamilton shows where eight diffe ...more
Roberta
An easy to read book that highlights the foundation, themes and differences between some of the major branches of Christianity. We read this as part of a small group and the video that goes along with it of Adam Hamilton's sermons on the same topic provided additional information. The book and video did not generate a lot of discussion among our group but maybe groups where members have more of a background in the various religions would find more to discuss.
Rachel
This is something everyone who's interested in Christianity should read. Hamilton is very fair-minded and focuses on the positive aspects of eight denominations, even the ones that are easy to make fun of. It's very concise and educational. Not exactly gripping, but that's not why you'd read it, so that's OK. He has a similar book on world religions that I look forward to reading someday.
Jonathan Sims
At our church we completed this journey via sermon series and evening study. Helpful introduction to other 'movements' or branches of Christianity. Especially poignant is Hamilton's intent to learn from these branches, rather than merely dismiss them as different.
Shawn
This is a very illuminating explanation and history of the Christian denominations. The theme is that most Christian denominations have progressed from one root and essentially constitute a united tree of diversified, yet complimentary branches. I’ll briefly address the denominations in the chronology by which they developed.

The Orthodox Church

The Orthodox Church is identified as the first Christian church to become distinct from Judaism. The Orthodox Church became distinguished as the eastern
Mark
If you want a quick tour through the major Christian denominations, mixing history and theology and some positivist advice, you couldn't do better than this short book.

It is written by a Methodist pastor near Kansas City, and he does an excellent job of boiling down the complexities of the Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Anglican, Baptist, Pentecostal and Methodist branches of Christianity in terms of how they got started, what distnguishes them, and equally important, what bin
Sandi
Informative, positive, and super interesting. Answers many questions I've had about where did this and that church/religion come from and how does it relate to others? And the answer is, they ALL have something important to say, and they say it in different ways.
Erika
A decent overview of Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostals, and Methodists. He gives a brief history, major beliefs, and things to appreciate/learn from them.

For the most part he is respectful of all traditions/denominations, however I feel not as much in regards to the Baptists as it is the only tradition that he includes jokes regarding. In my opinion, that was out of line and out of place. Additionally, on page 119 he says "United Methodist
Laurie Holding
I was curious as to the various Christian denominations, and this book helps on a solid, down-to-basics level to break down the differences between Catholicism, Orthodoxy, and many of the Protestant denominations.
Bunnyhugger1
I don't come from a Christian background, but I have always been puzzled about the different branches of Christianity and how they differ from each other. This book covers Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, Baptists, Pentecostalism, and Methodism. It's a slim volume written by a Methodist pastor who doesn't claim to offer an academic study but who more aims to capture the "unique personality" of each of the groups. I have a better idea now than I did before but fi ...more
BoBandy
Adequate. Short on detail, and long on the author's personal anecdotes. In the end, it seemed like an advertisement for Methodism.
Rachel Stoneman
Quick overview - quick read :)
Debbie Stone
Very interesting.
Chelly
Interestin read. Hamilton leaves out several groups of tge tree such as Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and tge Anabaptists. Hischapter on Presbyterians was lacking as he did only one small sect of them the PCA vs the larger PCUSA body that most Americans recognize. Good basis for those wondering what other denominations believeand why. Took this as a Sunday School study and learned a lot. He never criticizes anygroup for its beliefs just states them to show how they are similar yet different.
Sam
Excellent book! The book examines major mainline Christian denominations. The book isn't written in a condescending "my religion is superior for these reasons" attitude, but rather in a "what can we learn from various mainline Christian denominations" attitude, which was very refreshing.
Sally Kilpatrick
Fascinating take on other religions from the Methodist perspective. If you're Methodist and have ever wondered what aspects of Methodist doctrine differ from other denominations, this book has your answers. It's a quick, interesting read, too!
Fuzzy
Great overview of the largest Christian denominations. Helped me put them in perspective, both historically and theologically. Hamilton doesn't denigrate any of them, but highlights the positive aspects of each.

I highly recommend.
Lindsay
Great book for comparing and learning about the contributions various denominations provide for Christianity in history and contemporary. Really enjoyed this book!
Lindsay
Great book for learning the contributions of various Christian denominations. Loved it.
Steven
This was a decent overview of the major Divisions in the Christian Faith.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Amanda Ritchie
Amanda Ritchie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Misidentified book 4 18 May 08, 2015 07:21PM
  • Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living
  • The Bible in 90 Days: Cover to Cover in 12 Pages a Day (New International Version)
  • 11: Indispensable Relationships You Can't Be Without
  • Worship Architect, The
  • The First Christmas
  • The Externally Focused Church
  • Oxford Study Bible-REB
  • Simpler Living, Compassionate Life
  • Breathing Space: A Spiritual Journey in the South Bronx
  • Rediscovering God in America: Reflections on the Role of Faith in Our Nation's History and Future
  • Creating a Healthier Church (Creative Pastoral Care and Counseling): Family Systems Theory, Leadership and Congregational Life (Creative Pastoral Care & Counseling)
  • The New Testament in Modern English
  • Most Good, Least Harm: A Simple Principle for a Better World and Meaningful Life
  • Dialogues with Silence: Prayers & Drawings
  • Sleeping with Bread: Holding What Gives You Life
  • Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook
  • Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives
  • The Sufi Book of Life: 99 Pathways of the Heart for the Modern Dervish
Rev. Adam Hamilton is the founding pastor of the United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas. He grew up in the Kansas City area. He earned a B.A. degree in Pastoral Ministry from Oral Roberts University and a Master of Divinity Degree from Perkins School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.

The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection has grown from four people in 19
More about Adam Hamilton...
24 Hours That Changed The World When Christians Get It Wrong Why?: Making Sense Of God's Will The Journey: Walking the Road to Bethlehem Making Sense of the Bible: Rediscovering the Power of Scripture Today