Lonely Planet: India

Lonely Planet: India (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  603 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Travel Guides: India Travel Guide. Indias diversity is apparent in its architecture, landscapes, festivals and handicrafts. And spirituality the beating heart of India pulsates from the mountains of Ladakh to the shores of tropical Kerala. Sarina Singh, Lonely Planet writer. You can trust our travel information because Lonely Planet writers visit the places we write about,...more
Paperback, 14th Edition, 1220 pages
Published October 2011 by Lonely Planet (first published 1981)

Morgan
The drawback of following Lonely Planet's advice is that every other tourist is doing the same thing. Wherever you go, there's whitey with a thick-ass lonely planet in hand, figuring out what to do next. The drawback to Lonely Planet's India guidebook is that the country is just way to big for a single book to be of any real use. In all 1,200 pages each town only gets a cursory amount of information. In practice, there were some good hits—like the Institute for the Development of Musical Instrum...more
Yoana
This was our Bible during our 8-month stay in India. Only once has it let us down - when it recommended a sort-of traditional, sort-of uber modern healthy eatery in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, where everything was served on a palm leaf. It looked pretty, tasted like dirt and included tree bark as one of the hors d'oeuvres. Lesson learnt: only eat from the grubbiest, most miserable-looking holes-in-the-wall. Everything else is a (disgusting) tourist trap.
Ahmad
Though not as good as some of the other lonely planet guides, useful nontheless.

The budget options were useless.

It seems that once the hotel, restaurant etc get into lonely planet, bussiness is guaranteed and complacency and price discrepencies ensue.

My advice: Use as a rough rough guide; photocopy and cross reference if you need to but live your OWN journey not the guide books!
Andy
We used the Kindle version of this travelling around the Golden Triangle, Rajasthan, Goa and Kerala. It's the current 14th edition published in Oct 2011.

Good things:
- approximately a third of the cost of the paperback in New Zealand
- significantly lighter and smaller
- hot-linking from the map key to the text descriptions
- enjoyable contextual information and history of India
- the usual excellent travel advice (though we found Delhi and Jodhpur sections were often inaccurate in terms of pla...more
Ovijit
This is pretty much the bible for travel in India! All the travelers I met on my trip had this guide book in their respective language (which could be skewed because they all went to the same recommended hotels and restaurants that I did, but lets conveniently ignore this fact). I think its a great reference especially for getting lists of hotels that are available, but the accuracy of the reviews vary. With restaurants, its even more hit or miss. Its worth spending some time investigating each...more
Celine
I was recenly in India and used LP once again. The first half of my trip was pre-set as I was attending my friend's wedding in Jaipur so accommodations & events were already planned (thank goodness!!), but for the second half of my trip it was helpful to have the LP guide as it came in handy when looking into hotel, sightseeing, & particularly helpful about cost of things such as tours, how much to tip, etc.
Suzanne
Would have been lost without it! Mainly used it to read up on different places and sights and for the maps and the there and away sections. It's such a huge country, they did well to cover so much in one book (huge though it is). If you are going to a specific area of India I would suggest buying the version specific to that area - it will be lighter to carry and have more detailed info on the places.
Grace Hardy
People who say to do it without the guidebook are either incredibly brave or flat out crazy! I couldn't have tackled India without this on a first visit! Yes there are occasional inaccuracies but India is a very difficult country to pin down. It opened up the country for me and made it, if not easy, much more accessible! I just have such admiration for all those who work on the book.
Laura Belle
I am going to have to write Lonely Planet. Some of the information is just too loose to even follow. People thought I was crazy when I was asking for the addresses listed. Some of the hotel reviews were completely incorrect, but overall incredibly helpful as a primer into each city we visited.
Savannah Darling
I've used Lonely Planet for everywhere I've traveled, and so far I don't think you can go wrong their travel guides. I'm looking forward to putting this knowledge to good use in India early next year.
Elisha
A great comprehensive guide to India! It also has a significant amount of detail on individual cities, from history to recommended specific tourist attractions.
Lindsay
Oct 16, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Anyone going to India
Shelves: travel, z2008
Very comprehensive guide to travelling in India with some great ideas of places to go and general tips.
I'm very excited about my planned trip!
Kathryn
Not the cover we have... not sure what edition I'm using.

Just too big to carry with you when traveling, a good base to work from though.
Mark
Lonely Planet Books are indispensable, I just wish they were better at referencing the map in the text, and the page ref from the map key.
Febri
actually i read the previous edition...2002 edition I think...helped me a lot during my stay and my whole trip in India, 2002-2003.
Christine
I went there in 2004, back when it was hard to look lots of things online and the older edition of this book was super helpful.
Milan/zzz
I haven't read whole book but only parts about places I was visiting in Feb/March and it was quite useful.
Andrew
I’ve travelled to a number of places in India over the years and I have found this book a valuable resource.
Bethany
Jul 21, 2007 Bethany marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
sitting by my bed...probably will eventually read it on a plane to mumbai (i hope!)
Joshua Andert
Lonely Planet does it again. Keep up the good work LP.
Walter
my bible to India. Loved it, appreciated it.
Megan Schultz
Can't wait to see if this book is accurate!
Nathan Carter
This was our bible while in India.
lance
Was great for my travel needs
Kristen Iworsky
Apr 18, 2007 Kristen Iworsky rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone traveling in India
it saved my life a few times.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
  • Thailand
  • Lonely Planet: Southeast Asia on a shoestring
  • Cambodia
  • Lonely Planet: Japan
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Europe on a Shoestring
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • London (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • The Age of Kali: Indian Travels and Encounters
  • The Lost Continent & Neither Here Nor There
  • Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom
  • Travel Photography: A Guide to Taking Better Pictures
  • Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking
  • Round Ireland in Low Gear
  • All the Fishes Come Home to Roost: An American Misfit in India
  • Himalaya
  • Danziger's Travels: Beyond Forbidden Frontiers (Paladin Books)
Pakistan & the Karakoram Highway Lonely Planet Aboriginal Australia: & the Torres Strait Islands North India South India & Kerala Lonely Planet West Bengal: Chapter from India Travel Guide (Country Travel Guide)