Start by marking “Mossflower (Redwall, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mossflower (Redwall, #2)

Mossflower (Redwall #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  55,554 Ratings  ·  562 Reviews
The thrilling prequel to "Redwall". The clever and greedy wildcat Tsarmina becomes ruler of all Mossflower Woods and is determined to govern the peaceful woodlanders with an iron paw. The brave mouse Martin and quick-talking mouse thief Gonff meet in the depths of Kotir Castle's dungeon. The two escape and resolve to end Tsarmina's tyrannical rule. Joined by Kinny the mole ...more
Published September 30th 2002 by Firebird (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Mossflower, please sign up.

The Liam It's aimed at young children, but the brilliant thing about this book is that anyone can enjoy it. It transcends age barriers. It's a book for…moreIt's aimed at young children, but the brilliant thing about this book is that anyone can enjoy it. It transcends age barriers. It's a book for everyone.(less)

Kogiopsis
If you asked me to pick a single favorite Redwall book, I'd probably splutter at you a lot and then mutter 'Mariel, if I have to pick just one'; but if you asked me for a list of my top 5, Mossflower would definitely be on it. Early on, before I'd read the rest of the series, it was far-and-away my favorite - for the interwoven quest and siege plots (two of my favorite fantasy structures, tropey as they can be, likely because of Redwall books), for the humor, and for the absolutely glorious take ...more
Caris
The act of reading Mossflower is perhaps the closest one can come consciously entering a state of deja vu. It’s like watching The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 or D2: The Mighty Ducks- you know you’ve experienced this all before, but, for some reason, you find yourself unable to avert your eyes.

I toyed with the idea of just reposting my recent Redwall review in an overly-subtle attempt at saying as much, but ultimately decided against it. You’re welcome.

Because it’s kind of a shitty thing to do. Pe
Jing
Mar 28, 2008 Jing rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is looking for adventure
Shelves: advisory
This next Redwall book and one of the most famous is starting with Martin the Warrior again. After he had defeated Badrang the stoat, he is now is mossflower area which is under the rule of Tsarmina the daughter of Verduaga who also had a older brother Ungatt Trunn in another Redwall book series. These are one of the relationship this book has with others. Continuing on, martin was then captured and brought inot Kotir the stronghold of Tsarmina the cruel evil wildcat. Later on he met Gonoff wher ...more
Jana
Mar 14, 2016 Jana rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Martin, a traveling warrior mouse, is accidentally caught up in a war between the wildcat Tasrmina, who rules over Mossflower Wood, and the gentle woodland creatures starving under that rule. The creatures have formed a resistance group, but they're farmers or weavers, and lack the experience needed to fight Tsarmina's army of stoats, weasels, and other assorted nasties. Once Martin joins the resistance, they may finally have a chance to win their freedom and drive Tsarmina out.

I loved the Redwa
Chris
When Brian Jacques passed last month, it was a gut-punch for me. I can't tell you how many times I read his first few books, how eagerly I awaited the new hardcovers each year. I can't say I've read them all-- the point came, round about book seven or eight, when I'd figured out the formula, and they started getting old. But when I was just the right age, these were perfect.

Mossflower was my favorite of the lot as a kid, and upon reread, I can still see why. Tsarmina is a terrific kid's villain,
Juushika
July 2006 Review:

The second book in the Redwall series, Mossflower provides much of the backstory for that novel, recording Martin the Warrior's time spent in Mossflower wood and his battle to free the natives from the tyrannical rule of Tsarmina the wildcat. This text shows remarkable improvement, both in style and in setting, from Redwall and even now remains one of the best books in the series. Martin is a true hero and an enjoyable protagonist, both supporting characters and villains are wel
Debbie
Dec 19, 2008 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans of all ages
Book 2 in the Redwall series (prequel to Redwall)

In this prequel to Redwall, we meet Martin the warrior and understand how his heroic deeds, as well as his ability to form alliances, leads to the creation of Redwall Abbey.

The Corim, the governing council of the woodland creatures, tries to protect themselves against the evil Kotir, malicious wildcats determined to rule all the animals. Tsarmina is the cruel and mentally unstable ruler of the Kotir.

When Martin the Warrior has a run-in with Tsarm
Lisa
Apr 07, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This will always be one of my favorites. We first met in the Florida library when I was 10. We reunited when I was 13 and facing my own wildcats in the form of high school bullies. We then parted ways for over a decade when I was 18, until last year. Martin & Gonff are childhood heroes with a tale that translates for any age group.
Jasmine Woods
Feb 14, 2015 Jasmine Woods rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Picture the scene, if you will. Here's your erstwhile reviewer, aged twenty-four and about to have her first tooth removed. Gifted with three hours to kill before the dental happening, she sets off in search of vittles and something new to read, having been stuck in the waiting room so long she's already made it through the two books she brought with her. Lo, she went a wandering in W H Smith's and her gaze chanced upon Mossflower, the first and greatest of her Redwall loves, her favourite child ...more
Kelsey Hanson
May 27, 2014 Kelsey Hanson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
This is another old favorite of mine that I rediscovered on audiobook. Like Martin the Warrior, the audiobook features a full cast including the author Brian Jacques who is a masterful storyteller and his radio experience is clearly evident. I always feel like I'm reviewing the entire series when I review a Redwall novel but here goes. Yes, it's forumlaic. Yes, all of the books have a similar theme. Yes, the good guys are pretty easy to spot from the bad guys, but I DON'T CARE! Haha.
Eh ahem. Se
Carina
May 07, 2014 Carina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was younger this was never my favourite of the Redwall books. Reading it back now I see how it fits more easily into the stories. I can definitely see why the published order is the recommended order of reading - though part of me still thinks you could read this after Mattimeo rather than before it.

In the first book - Redwall - Martin is set up as a legendary figure, this book deals with his life in Mossflower and gives you enough back story to consider this the first tale about Martin.
Chelsea
Jun 22, 2015 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, classics
Continuing my new purpose of writing about books that influenced me as a child, I had to get started on Mossflower. This book! This series! Chronologically this is not the first of the group, but it is the first one I read. Brian Jacques did such a long and great series of short books geared tower young adults/children. I’ve read all of them, and I recently enjoyed reading them again. I was so sad when he died, considering he filled my childhood with such wonder. It was a series with fascinating ...more
Fantasy Literature
Martin, a traveling warrior mouse, is accidentally caught up in a war between the wildcat Tsarmina, who rules over Mossflower Wood, and the gentle woodland creatures starving under her rule. The creatures have formed a resistance group, but most of them are farmers or weavers who lack the experience needed to fight Tsarmina's army of stoats, weasels, and other assorted nasties. Once Martin joins the resistance, they may finally have a chance to win their freedom and drive Tsarmina out.

I loved Br
Hannah Rodes
Aug 04, 2015 Hannah Rodes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My first thought after reading the first chapter was "really this mole accent is driving me nuts I can't hardly read it!" Soon I got used to it but it still annoyed me.

What I liked
• my favorite characters were Gingevire, Mask and ya gotta love Gonff
• The hares were awesome with there British accent:)
• and the squirrels and otters? Awesome!

What I didn't like
• so much death, I counted most of them it added up to 45 (there was more then that!)
• seriously when thy die they go to the "Dark forest" th
Heimdall Thunderhammer
Review originally published at http://thevikingreviewer.blogspot.com/

This is the prequel to Redwall which follows Martin the Warrior when he first arrives in Mossflower woods. He is immediately taken prisoner by the foul cat Tsarmina and held prisoner along with the mouse thief Gonff. With the help of the nearby woodland creatures they escape and plot to take down the wicked cat and her castle of rats, stoats, and weasels. In order to accomplish the task, Martin sets out for the mysterious mount
Lindsay
While I love Redwall, I doubly loved Mossflower. Redwall took me awhile to get into the pace and style of Jacques writing. Mossflower, though only the second book in the series, seems to mature. Aimed for children in genre, though not as obviously written in style. The author does not "write down" to the level of children as some authors do. Instead, he presents more of a "child friendly" story in setting, but does not beat around the bush when it comes to serious issues--death, betrayal, enslav ...more
Lauren Schultz
I was pleasantly surprised to find just how much I enjoyed Redwall, the first of Brian Jacques’s fantasy novels that I had ever read. In comparison, I did not enjoy its prequel Mossflower quite as much, which was disappointing.

Although the second novel that Jacques wrote about his woodland creatures of Mossflower County is certainly full of action and adventure, I could not take seriously the threat posed by the self-involved cat Queen Tsarmina and her incompetent army of rats and stoats. Althou
Josiah
Jul 31, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Our spirit flies with you. May you find what you quest for..."

—Lord Cayvear, "Mossflower", P. 241

As always seems to be the case in his books, Brian Jacques has brought forth a deeply rich and rewarding story that involves the reader in the passions and ethos of all the main characters.
"Mossflower", as a novel, is an absolute success when it comes to plunging the reader headfirst into a new world and making him care about a large cast of characters right from the start. The nuanced ethos of
Jen
Oct 09, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C'mon, these stories are so freaking cute! And I actually don't mean that condescendingly; I mean that Jacques can write essentially the same characters in roughly the same plot, and it's still a fun adventure that I will read over and over. That's some kind of talent, really.

So Martin, who was Such A Legend in Redwall, is here as a flesh-and-fur warrior figuring himself out. Does he ever have a believable character flaw? Nope, but that's not really the point; the point is the adventure, the tra
Jun 21, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book from the “Redwall” canon that I’ve read in the past few months. I seem to be unable to get enough of the little rodent inhabitants of that country. Brian Jacques is a lovely storyteller, although I’m interested to see if he can break away from the “evil tyrant threatening the humble but tenacious villagers” routine for any of the following books.

In this tome by Jacques, we encounter the forest of Mossflower – the future home of Redwall Abbey. Martin the Warrior has been wa
06chandlerh
Oct 18, 2012 06chandlerh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mossflower Book Review
By: Chandler Holm P.4

I believe the book Mossflower is one of the greatest novels of my time. It’s very obvious why any person who has a shred of reading capability would be interested in this adventurous book. This book is the best because the author, Brian Jacques, does a great job at stimulating the imagination in a way that allows the reader to create his/her own picture.

An example of Jacques literary prowess would be found on page 157 when the trio of heroic creatures
Gabriel Kagan
Nov 21, 2012 Gabriel Kagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Redwall series initiates
Another seriously influential book, thanks to the public library of Round Rock, Texas. When I was 9 years old, my family started making much more significant use of the local libraries in the communities we lived in. Compared to the public library in the last town we lived in (Canton, Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston), Round Rock's allowed us to take out many more books at a time; needless to say, my mind was blown.

Mossflower, in fact, was recommended by one of the staff at the library. Needles
Kris
Jun 06, 2011 Kris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
They say you should never go grocery shopping when you are hungry and I'm inclined to think you should also NOT write a book while you are hungry.

Really I am a little over half way and am thoroughly bored with the mentions of food every 4 or 5 paragraphs. The characters are not so interested in freedom as they are in eating! I really think the full paragraph descriptions of every freaking lunch could have been omitted without hurting the book in anyway.

Other than that frankly, the book is slow
Alessandro Duran
Redwall, Mossflower by Brian Jacques, follows a warrior mouse named Martin who has come to Mossflower to look for thrills, and adventure. He meets the woodlanders who are fighting against a tyrant wildcat named Tsamina. Martin joins them, and defeats Tsamina after adventuring to a volcano, and looking for Boar the fighter.
I would recommend this book to a friend because, this story has lots of humor, adventure, and suspense.

Adam
Oct 13, 2015 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every second of this book. I found it very interesting and there were some parts where I was amazed at what happened. I found the hardships that the main characters went through were things that I never would have done. This is a very good read and would recommend if you like good fictional books.
David Beard
Apr 12, 2015 David Beard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this book was an awesome read and i would recommend it to anyone of any age. The morals of bravery are taught so clearly and in a way that doesn't suggest that another persons way of thinking is wrong that i believe anyone can benefit from this story.

Martin the main character is a young mouse put into captivity as he passes through the wintry forest of Mossflower. His one possession a sword he inherited from his father is broken by and evil wildcat queen. He escapes and embarks o
Jonathan
Zachary Barnes
Feb 12, 2015 Zachary Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
In the spirit of #TBT, I decided to review MOSSFLOWER by Brian Jacques. Why? Probably because this series is the reason I'm a writer. During my formative years, I read and re-read the Redwall books more than Mr. Jacques' editor did, and then some... And if you didn't partake of this wonderful, creature-filled world, then you are seriously missing out.

Of all the countless stories Brian Jacques told, MOSSFLOWER is my favorite. Most likely because it predates REDWALL, and I'm a super sucker for goo
Elizabeth
Feb 08, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
So a lot of people say that this is the best book in the series, and while I think Martin the Warrior is actually the best, this book is probably second. Mossflower has the classic Redwall formula (enemy threatens hero, hero [accompanied by at least one, usually two, others] sets off on quest to find enemy or warrior/item to help defeat enemy, enemy or separate threat attacks Redwall, hero comes back in the nick of time, and there’s usually a bunch of riddles to solve for those waiting at home), ...more
Macie F
Oct 22, 2014 Macie F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this book perfectly balances the magical tales and adventures of medieval times with regular environments and creatures. The story is about a young warrior mouse named Martin, and his two friends, a mouse theif named Gonff and a mole, Young Dinny. In the story, an evil wildcat queen Tsarmina, wants to rule the woodlands with an iron fist, enslaving and killing innocent woodlanders who block her path. So Martin, Gonff, and Young Dinny embark on a journey to the mountain of Salamandas ...more
Wouldn't this book make a good animated TV series? 19 61 Aug 28, 2015 02:18PM
What do you think of Lord Verduaga? And do you wish there could be a bit more background story to him? 3 20 Jun 15, 2015 03:35PM
Interesting 21 60 Dec 14, 2012 11:08PM
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Mirror of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #4)
  • Fire Bringer
  • The Kestrel (Westmark #2)
  • The Final Reckoning (The Deptford Mice, #3)
  • Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1)
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Song of the Wanderer (Unicorn Chronicles, #2)
  • The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady (The Squire's Tales, #2)
  • In the Time of Dinosaurs (Megamorphs, #2)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)

“Pick-a-lock, Pick-a-lock, you'll regret the day,
When you took a mouse thief and locked him away,
Silly cat, look at that, it's two for one,
A thief and a warrior, by dawn will be gone.”
36 likes
“There is no greater evil than killing. I don't care whether they call it war or justice. Life is precious.” 29 likes