Start by marking “A Voice Crying in the Wilderness (Vox Clamantis in Deserto): Notes from a Secret Journal” as Want to Read:

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. Barbs like this one make the last work of nonfiction by Edward Abbey especially wise and vibrant. Abbey lays down the law on everything from death t o the environment to California to fine art. The text is complemented by 50 line drawings by noted Arizona artist Andy Rush. (St. Mar tin's)
Published April 1st 1990 by St. Martin's Press (first published August 15th 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about A Voice Crying in the Wilderness (Vox Clamantis in Deserto)

jeremy
Nov 25, 2007 jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the most ingenious, discerning, singular american thinkers of the twentieth century. simply brilliant...

"i hate intellectual discussion. when i hear the words phenomenology or structuralism, i reach for my buck knife."

"belief in the supernatural reflects a failure of the imagination."

"better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion."

"there has got to be a god; the world could not have become so fucked up by chance alone."

"is there a god? who knows? is there an angry unicorn on the dark s
Stephen Hicks
Nov 11, 2016 Stephen Hicks rated it it was ok
This was my first dive into the famed militant environmentalist Edward Abbey. And I'm not sure I'd recommend it (at least not as an opening act).

A Voice Crying In the Wilderness is a collection of phrases jotted down by Abbey in a journal. Therefore it is his unqualified, unfiltered, unadulterated thoughts. There are no nuances. There are no exceptions. I'll restate again that I've never read Abbey in my life, and I'm mildly scared to read him now. This collection, penned by his own hand, make
Pat Muccigrosso
May 22, 2015 Pat Muccigrosso rated it it was amazing
Amazingly prescient, Edward Abbey wrote this book just before he died (1989) but it's about precisely what is happening in our society, with our economy and politically, right now. I love his humor and his pithiness. Abbey wastes no words as he wasted no time on idiots, self-aggrandizers and the "important."

This small but powerful book is divided into sections like Nature, Life and Death and All That, Music, Money, and Government and Politics. And his words cut right through the meat and to the
Anthony
Aug 01, 2012 Anthony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Utah's greatest Park Ranger...we don't even know where he's buried, in that great, vast oasis of space. Great quotes...my favorite is, "Whenever I hear the word culture I reach for my checkbook." Don't mis-understand him...read at your own peril and glean a perceptive fella without pretensions...oddly he was a mixture of St. Andrew's, redneck proclivities and much needed common sense wisdom.
KatieSuzanne
Jan 23, 2008 KatieSuzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little quotes from books, journals, and who knows where else because it doesn't really say. Some are funny and some are just plain good but not a lot that are crude. If you like Edward Abbey than you'll really like this little book.
B
May 31, 2008 B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last Abbey I read. I think, maybe, the last he wrote. Can't remember. A compilation of shorts that are, each and every one, a treasure. I love the writer who can put it down clearly, and in short while still being at the top of his/her entertainment game.
Christine
Feb 15, 2008 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Having had the honor to read Abbey's private journals, finding this book was an amazing experience of seeing his words, and his thoughts translated into pithy sayings. A little bit of bumpersticker mentality but well worth it for the truths it reveals.
Kent
Apr 01, 2013 Kent rated it it was amazing
Quotes drawn from Ed's journals and writing.
Lynn Miller
Aug 04, 2013 Lynn Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of great stories. Vox Clamantis on Deserto!
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I've never read another book by Edward Abbey and I'm not in a big hurry to go find more to read, but I do enjoy his frank opinions and ideas :-) I found this at the library looking for something easy to read, light and amusing. I really liked some of Abbey's thoughts and others were blah to me. This volume was sent to the publisher just two weeks before the author died in 1989.

Below are some thoughts that stood out to me-

Chapter 1:Philosophy, Religion, and So Forth

"The more fantastic an ideology
Josh
"Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissues."

"Belief in God? An afterlife? I believe in rock: this apodictic rock beneath my feet."

"From the point of view of a tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the appetite of the tapeworm."

"Proverbs save us the trouble of thinking. What we call folk wisdom is often no more than a kind of expedient stupidity."

"Appearance versus reality? Appearance is reality, God damn it!"

"Fantastic doctrines (lik
Jeremy
Jan 08, 2016 Jeremy rated it liked it

This is a collection of quotes and witticisms from an anarchist tree-hugger. I was expecting it to have this gem, but it did not: “WEALTH AND HOW TO ACHIEVE IT: Let us define the wealthy man as he who has everything he desires. How to reach that happy condition? Two ways...
(1) Through money: Work, sweat, scheme, grovel, cheat, lie betray to acquire it. But there's no guarantee you'll succeed. Ninety-nine chances out of a hundred, you'll fail. Or...
(2) Do without: Reduce your needs to the minim
Mark
May 06, 2012 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Aristotle said (or I've heard he said), "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Edward Abbey may not himself have been an environmental terrorist, but apparently his works are important to environmental terror groups. I'm a big fan of protecting the environment, conserving the natural beauty of the earth and generally not trying to screw over the planet that keeps us alive. But, I don't agree with the more extreme measures proposed by many to d
Carl Nelson
3.5 stars. A nicely curmudgeonly tone, with a penchant for sarcasm and wit. I found that Abbey's quotes were strongest when talking about things he loved, like nature and freedom, and weaker on things that he felt superior to, which is most of mankind. I appreciated his acerbic barbs for the most part, even when I disagreed with him; in general I liked his libertarian bent. A quick read with a lot of payoff, but not for the easily offended.
Marlène
Voici une petite collection d'aphorismes croustillants sur tout et tout le monde. Une montagne d'humour et de cynisme joliment emballés dans une forêt de provocation. Tout le monde en prend mais surtout l'auteur lui-même. Un véritable plaisir pour ponctuer des journées ennuyeuses et trop chargées de routine.
Une voix dans le désert qui appelle à visiter d'autres mots d'Edward Abbey.
Jailynn
May 13, 2009 Jailynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another snag from Katie
I can see the beginnings of a great Love/Hate relationship starting here, I either really love and agree with what he is saying or I totally want to go cause him some pain and call him a jerk, maybe kick him in the shins and tell him to go take a hike....and then ask if I can come along with him.
Kendra
I'm still too angry about this book to write another review apart from my anti-review I posted to Medium.
Charles
All great stuff...a collection of quotes and bits of wisdom that's probably worthy of 5 stars, but that'd be like putting a "greatest hits" album on the list of "best albums of all time" or something like that. The original collection is always best.
Josh Stride
Dec 19, 2007 Josh Stride rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A self-consciously pretentious collection of snippets of wisdom from Edward Abbey some of which, he admits, "have appeared, in altered form, in previous books of mine, floating along in a flood of earnest prose. Others may be unconscious plagiarism of the great and dead."
Sandra
May 28, 2010 Sandra rated it it was ok
Shelves: other
A book of interesting quotes. Some are good and some are not written from the author's perspective on life.

A good example is from page 13:
"I believe in nothing that I cannot touch, kiss, embrace...The rest is only hearsay."

Matt Carpenter
There are some good quotes in this book, but when the author is a materialist and an anarchist, you will get quotes that display this philosophy. I can appreciate when a man speaks without fear of being politically incorrect, but besides that, I didn't enjoy this book.
jackalope Mack
Apr 19, 2007 jackalope Mack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with short attention spans
Shelves: edwardabbey
I don't know who has my copy of this book, but I wish they'd return it. Since I haven't seen it in over ten years, I ain't a-holdin' my breath. Selected sayings from my philosophical grandpa. God I miss him.
Dan
Mar 23, 2011 Dan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pithy witticisms, but I do love Abbey.
Kristin
Jun 10, 2008 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2010
A good book is a kind of paper club, serving to rouse the slumbrous and to silence the obtuse. (pg. 55)
carolyn
not a story at all but a collection of Abbey quotes some sharp as knives and funny as hell some dull and flat. It's a mixed bag and certainly not what I was expecting. I prefer stories
Bethany Gray
Dec 30, 2012 Bethany Gray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book of quotes I know. Love it.
Ben
Aug 20, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This great little book is full of quotations (and nothing else) by Abbey. Organized loosely into topic, they are great for finding the perfect quote to end a rant.
Robin
Feb 01, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great set of thoughts and mantras.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I adore Ed Abbey, and this is nice because it's just pithy little quotes pulled from his books and organized by topic.
Clifford Novey
A great and compact collection of quotes and notes and short stories by the man himself.
  • Rivers of Empire: Water, Aridity, and the Growth of the American West
  • The Book of Yaak
  • Field Notes from a Hidden City: An Urban Nature Diary
  • Where the Bluebird Sings to the Lemonade Springs
  • The River of the Mother of God: and other Essays by Aldo Leopold
  • In the Absence of the Sacred: The Failure of Technology & the Survival of the Indian Nations
  • About This Life
  • Nature and Walking
  • Red: Passion and Patience in the Desert
  • Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age
  • The Ecology of Freedom: The Emergence and Dissolution of Hierarchy
  • The Land of Little Rain
  • Political Ideals
Edward Paul Abbey (1927 – 1989) was an American author and essayist noted for his advocacy of environmental issues, criticism of public land policies, and anarchist political views.

Abbey attended college in New Mexico, and then worked as a park ranger and fire lookout for the National Park Service in the Southwest. It was during this time that he developed the relationship with the area's environm
More about Edward Abbey...

“Music clouds the intellect but clarifies the heart.” 20 likes
“From the point of view of a tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the appetite of the tapeworm.” 17 likes