Start by marking “Shaken: Stories For Japan” as Want to Read:
Shaken: Stories For Japan

Shaken: Stories For Japan

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Published (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shaken

Benjamin Sobieck
I'd never heard of the Japan America Society of Southern California before picking up a copy of "Shaken: Stories for Japan." As of the anthology's publishing, the Society has been in existence for 102 years.

Before the earthquake and subsequent tsunamis that hit Japan in March 2011, I hadn't heard of many of the places in Japan that would dominate world headlines. That's what a tragedy will do. For all the wrong reasons, it brings together people regardless of borders, cultures or routine.

For all

SHAKEN is a book of short stories written by some of the most popular writers in fiction today, especially in the mystery genre. Tim Hallinan approached some of his friends with the idea of a book that could be sold as an ebook with all the money going to help the people of Japan suffering from the earthquake and the tsunami. SHAKEN is the result of that collaboration and it is a book worth everyone’s attention. For the paltry sum of $3.99 on Amazon, less than the cost of most fancy coffees, re
What an impressive collection of short stories with a Japan theme! The Japan Society of Southern California put together this ebook of short stories whose proceeds were to go to disaster relief.

The authors are first rate - several award winners (and future award winners) among them. The stories vary in theme from racism in the San Francisco earthquake to post tsunami, um, enterprise. Some are funny, some bring a lump to your throat. Some are crime stories, some are not.

Consider spending 3.99 an
SHAKEN: Stories for Japan a collection of memories of the recent catastrophe shared by survivors is very moving. I.J. Parker has done a real service by writing down these stories shared by the people who were there. They will serve as a testimony to both tragedy and courage.
This is a collection of short stories by a wide range of authors, using a wide range of styles, for the purpose of raising money to help the victims of the earthquake that devastated much of northern Japan. Some of the stories didn't do much for me, some were WONDERFUL. Worth the read, and you get to help some people at the same time!
SO far I've only read the short by Brett Battles, but I look forward to reading the other stories.
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Debbi Mack
Nov 17, 2014 Debbi Mack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Jennifer Nakayama
Jennifer Nakayama marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Staci marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Bryan Winchell
Bryan Winchell marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Kris marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Meredith marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Valisha marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Sandy Shin
Sandy Shin marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Miriam Giles
Miriam Giles marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2013
Jacqueline Parson
Jacqueline Parson marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Ginger Hope
Ginger Hope marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Shinichi Asami
Shinichi Asami marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Pamela is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2013
Rosemary Farrugia
Rosemary Farrugia marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Diane marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Alan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Simone marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012
Nightlizard marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2012
I'm a thriller and mystery novelist who divides his time between Los Angeles and Southeast Asia, primarily Thailand, where I've has lived off and on for more than twenty years. As of now, I've had seventeen books published by major imprints.

My newest, THE HOT COUNTRIES (October 2014), is the seventh in a series of Bangkok thrillers about an American travel writer named Poke Rafferty and his small
More about Timothy Hallinan...
Crashed (Junior Bender, #1) A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1) Little Elvises (Junior Bender, #2) The Fame Thief (Junior Bender, #3) The Queen of Patpong (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #4)