Spider Sparrow

Spider Sparrow

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Spider Sparrow has always been different. Abandoned as an infant in a lambing pen and adopted by a kindly shepherd and his wife, Spider’s life is unusual from the start. As he grows, it becomes clear that he is not like other children: he can't walk, talk, or learn like them. But Spider has a gift: he can imitate perfectly the sounds of animals. The animals–and his communi...more
Published July 10th 2001 by Yearling (first published 2000)

Qt
Well-written and well-done. I really enjoyed reading about a *real* working farm in war-era England. The characters are all realistic, and I listened to the audio version and loved all the different voices.

This book turned out to be a little different from what I was expecting--although now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I *was* expecting :-) I think maybe I thought it would be more light-hearted, without any serious issues. I don't mean to imply that it is gloom-and-doomy (there are a...more
Kyrie
Great story about a boy who can bond with animals, despite an inability to talk and being very slow and clumsy in his movements.

Spider is a foundling, taken in by a shepherd and his wife. He finds his own place in the tiny community of a World War II era English farm.

It's a gentle simple tale, and despite the use of local dialect, it's easy to read and follow.

Some books, even when a tale is sad, take you away to another place, a peaceful place, and this is one of those stories.
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 162pgs

1926-1942 England. As a baby Spider Sparrow was left in a barn. He was taken in and raised by the Sparrows. As he grew, everyone realized that Spider was different. He couldn't talk like all the other children, but he had a special way of communicating with animals. All animals, even wild ones, trusted him. As he got older, his parents decided he needed a job. When he's asked to be "soljur" and protect the crops from the bad crows that want to eat it, Spider can't wait to start.

The...more
Juli Anna Herndon
Lovely quiet story of rural 1940's England. Not terribly plot-driven, but the characters make up for it. Great for animal lovers. Ending was a bit strange, and somewhat poorly explained, or else I would have given it four stars.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A foundling, Spider Sparrow isn’t like others; he doesn’t speak much and he shuffles along. But in spite of his infirmities, Spider has a special affinity for animals.

And that’s the story. The story of a boy who seems handicapped but who uses his strengths to make a lovely life for himself.
Cindi
Excellent, just excellent. About a boy with a handicap, but with other gifts. Loved it. My kids were very impressed and still talk about it.
Jo
Sep 16, 2007 Jo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young readers
Shelves: fiction, youth
this is a new story with that old fashion fairy tail feel.
Christina Packard
Christina Packard marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Roslyn Jade
Roslyn Jade marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Brenden
Brenden marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Amanda C
Amanda C marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Revanth
Revanth marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get...more
More about Dick King-Smith...
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg