Start by marking “Spider Sparrow” as Want to Read:
Spider Sparrow

Spider Sparrow

Spider Sparrow has always been different. Abandoned as an infant in a lambing pen and adopted by a kindly shepherd and his wife, Spider’s life is unusual from the start. As he grows, it becomes clear that he is not like other children: he can't walk, talk, or learn like them. But Spider has a gift: he can imitate perfectly the sounds of animals. The animals–and his communi ...more
Published July 10th 2001 by Yearling (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Spider Sparrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider Sparrow

Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Jami rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2008
Jun 28, 2009 Cindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent, just excellent. About a boy with a handicap, but with other gifts. Loved it. My kids were very impressed and still talk about it.
Mar 16, 2010 Qt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written and well-done. I really enjoyed reading about a *real* working farm in war-era England. The characters are all realistic, and I listened to the audio version and loved all the different voices.

This book turned out to be a little different from what I was expecting--although now that I think about it, I'm not sure what I *was* expecting :-) I think maybe I thought it would be more light-hearted, without any serious issues. I don't mean to imply that it is gloom-and-doomy (there are a
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2010
Tracy Jewell
Tracy Jewell rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2010
Marko rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2011
Beth Crosa
Beth Crosa rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2012
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2012
Bailey rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Cindi rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Linden rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Allie rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2012
Aaron Korte
Aaron Korte rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Raselo Ilas
Raselo Ilas rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2013
india_ink rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Miss Amanda
gr 4-6 162pgs

1926-1942 England. As a baby Spider Sparrow was left in a barn. He was taken in and raised by the Sparrows. As he grew, everyone realized that Spider was different. He couldn't talk like all the other children, but he had a special way of communicating with animals. All animals, even wild ones, trusted him. As he got older, his parents decided he needed a job. When he's asked to be "soljur" and protect the crops from the bad crows that want to eat it, Spider can't wait to start.

Maria rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2013
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 30, 2013 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-1001
A foundling, Spider Sparrow isn’t like others; he doesn’t speak much and he shuffles along. But in spite of his infirmities, Spider has a special affinity for animals.

And that’s the story. The story of a boy who seems handicapped but who uses his strengths to make a lovely life for himself.
Juli Anna
Jan 13, 2014 Juli Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-ya
Lovely quiet story of rural 1940's England. Not terribly plot-driven, but the characters make up for it. Great for animal lovers. Ending was a bit strange, and somewhat poorly explained, or else I would have given it four stars.
Apr 26, 2014 Kyrie rated it it was amazing
Great story about a boy who can bond with animals, despite an inability to talk and being very slow and clumsy in his movements.

Spider is a foundling, taken in by a shepherd and his wife. He finds his own place in the tiny community of a World War II era English farm.

It's a gentle simple tale, and despite the use of local dialect, it's easy to read and follow.

Some books, even when a tale is sad, take you away to another place, a peaceful place, and this is one of those stories.
Courtenay rated it really liked it
May 26, 2014
Derek G
Derek G rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Shannon rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Clara rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Cynthia Egbert
Oct 19, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
Shelves: library
This one is a departure from what Mr. King-Smith usually writes. At the beginning it felt like a cross between Silas Marner and An Incident at Hawk Hill so I thought I would love it. It also has a fairy tale feel about it which is always a bonus with me. But the ending was not what I wanted and that put me off the book quite a bit. I did love the descriptions of life in a small English village during WWII and the characters contained in that village.
Gemma Nguyen
Gemma Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Jun 28, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More literary than most of the author's stories about fantastic animals. No 'magic' but, rather, a magical fable. Reads as if the author heard tell of this boy who lived in the olden days and interviewed some descendants of the characters for details, and then worked up the story.

Lovely. Sentimental, but not at all saccharine.

Not sure who the audience is. Shelved as Juvenile, but to me it seems more like a novella for adults. Readers of any age who want to stretch their brain muscles a bit sho
Tyler Wong
Oct 14, 2016 Tyler Wong rated it liked it
« previous 1 3 next »
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...