Start by marking “All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder” as Want to Read:
All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder

All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder (Read and Wonder)

A great resource for teachers!

Read and Wonder books tell stories, take children on adventures,
and reveal how big and WONDER-full the natural world really is.
Published February 1st 1995 by Candlewick Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about All Pigs Are Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Pigs Are Beautiful

Julia Wickenden
Mar 17, 2014 Julia Wickenden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Pigs are Beautiful is a very sweet book. The author's love of pigs comes across in an endearing way. It is a very accessible non-fiction book, presented almost as fiction. The illustrations are wonderful.

There is no particular storyline, as the book is really a non-fiction book. All Pigs are Beautiful introduces you to many different types of pig and new vocabulary. It is a biased view of pigs, due to the author's fondness for the animals. It is not entirely factual, therefore; the facts are
midnightfaerie
Jul 22, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I really loved this book, but it was a little long for the attention span for my children. I thought it had a lot of good and interesting information by my preschoolers and 5 yr old don't care much for pigs so each page looked somewhat the same to them. You can only say "Oh look! Piggies!" so much and expect the kids to still be interested. But I still really enjoyed it myself and found it interesting, so I plan on bringing this back to the table in the future when they're all a little older.
Liz - Using My Words
Dec 23, 2014 Liz - Using My Words rated it it was amazing
A clever well written and beautifully illustrated book all about facts about pigs.

Reading level 4.3 with a few solid vocabulary words to figure out. A few notes on each page near the pictures give another detail but are in a cursive style font so might throw an early reader off trying to sound out letters.
Cynthia Egbert
Jul 21, 2016 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Mr. King-Smith really loves his pigs and that comes across sweetly in this book. We have been raising hogs for years and I still learned a couple of things.
Autofic
Feb 27, 2017 Autofic rated it really liked it
Shelves: albums-jeunesse
Des illustrations classiques, un coté vintage qui colle bien au sujet et des cochons à gogo ! Que demander de plus ? Vraiment, j’ai aimé l’histoire mélangée à un aspect documentaire. On apprend pas mal de choses sur les cochons !
Anna
Jan 22, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

How to present facts about animals in an engaging and entertaining way? Undoubtedly, Dick King - Smith knows how to do it and his book “All Pigs are Beautiful” can be a perfect example. It introduces us to various breeds of pigs and presents their habits in an appealing way. This book contains pure facts about pigs distinguished from the main story by the use of different font and it also presents some funny statements about what pigs may be saying.

“All Pigs are Beautiful” may be used as a guid
Charlene Sterling
Sep 23, 2012 Charlene Sterling rated it really liked it
This is an exceptional book about Pigs. The story is informative and rich vocabulary and fantastic illustrations. The story is without poetry, rhyme or repetition other than the word pig. However, there are great additional informational texts under the illustrations that can support a child’s understanding of pigs, and nature. This story could be used in a cross-curricular way in the class room in science for helping children to develop knowledge and understanding of animals.

At the end of the b
Whitney Bailey
Nov 24, 2012 Whitney Bailey rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Think of a mnemonic to help you remember how to spell 'beautiful'.

Some people might think of pigs as 'monstrous and frightening'. Can you think of words that mean the same as or the opposite of this? -- synonyms and antonyms.

Make a shape poem about a pig, in the shape of a pig (see Resources below).

Think of some thought / speech bubbles for the pigs in the illustrations.
Rebecca
Jan 23, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
I learned that pigs cover themselves in mud as a form of sunscreen...to protect against sunburn. I didn't know that. I also learned that piglets always nurse from the same mother's teat, they claim it at birth. Didn't know that before either.

Kaye
Feb 06, 2011 Kaye rated it really liked it
636.4 KING-SMITH
A nonfiction book written in a picture book style. The picture book story line has is beautifully detailed drawings. On the same page with the story, their is another picture with handwritten words that tell a tidbit about pig life. Great for young readers.
Pete
Feb 26, 2012 Pete rated it did not like it
Shelves: for-dakari
I gave this book a star because I felt I had to at least give one. I mean, who compares people to pigs, with pigs coming out on top. I must say this book provided a great opportunity for us to discuss what really matters.
Robert
This is a cute little book. It provides good information about pigs in a friendly and humorous manner. Illustrators have captions to help guide the reader. The author discusses pigs from his personal ownership.

Good stuff here. And yes, pigs are beautiful.
Kelly
Jan 19, 2009 Kelly rated it really liked it
I love pigs, so of course I loved this picture book! Sometimes it seems like there's too much text for younger kids, but the illustrations are almost unbearably cute so I think that makes up for too much text on some pages.
Sara
Jun 08, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
A children's nonfiction picture book about pigs - it's perfect! Very pretty illustrations.
CFAITC
Jan 01, 2009 CFAITC added it
Shelves: primary
This book explains everything you've always wanted to know about pigs, proving whether they're big, little, gentle or stubborn, all pigs are beautiful.
Teri
Apr 11, 2015 Teri rated it really liked it
Cute book that is also informative about pigs.
Amanda Andrews
This was a pretty neat book. It's the perspective of a girl who loves pigs and tells you many reasons why. It also has informational facts about pigs along the way.
Emma
Llewellyn likes this at 22 months simply for the pigs. 'Pig' he says. 'Piiiiiig'. How many stars is that, friends?
Kathryn
Apr 06, 2015 Kathryn rated it really liked it
A bit wordy at times but very sweet. You can feel the love the author has for pigs. The illustrations are great!
Mary
Jan 08, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Very informative and beautiful book.
Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 Kate B rated it liked it
Non-fiction for pre-schoolers.
Tamzyn Baker
Tamzyn Baker rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2011
Lorena quirin
Lorena quirin rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2017
MyLadyLydia
MyLadyLydia rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2010
shawn
shawn rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2015
Melanie Browning
Melanie Browning rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2017
sarah
sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2016
  • Don't Lick the Dog: Making Friends with Dogs
  • The Milk Makers
  • Humphrey the Lost Whale
  • Ben Franklin: Young Printer
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3  Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Cold Feet: A Book About Hot- and Cold-Blooded Animals
  • What Do Authors Do?
  • Bunny My Honey
  • The Elephant Scientist (Scientist in the Field Series)
  • Alex the Parrot: No Ordinary Bird: A True Story
  • Little Chick
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • Kids Pick The Funniest Poems: Poems That Make Kids Laugh (Giggle Poetry)
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans