Start by marking “All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder” as Want to Read:
All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder

All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder (Read and Wonder)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  19 reviews
A great resource for teachers!

Read and Wonder books tell stories, take children on adventures,
and reveal how big and WONDER-full the natural world really is.
Published February 1st 1995 by Candlewick Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about All Pigs Are Beautiful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Pigs Are Beautiful

midnightfaerie
I really loved this book, but it was a little long for the attention span for my children. I thought it had a lot of good and interesting information by my preschoolers and 5 yr old don't care much for pigs so each page looked somewhat the same to them. You can only say "Oh look! Piggies!" so much and expect the kids to still be interested. But I still really enjoyed it myself and found it interesting, so I plan on bringing this back to the table in the future when they're all a little older.
Julia Wickenden
All Pigs are Beautiful is a very sweet book. The author's love of pigs comes across in an endearing way. It is a very accessible non-fiction book, presented almost as fiction. The illustrations are wonderful.

There is no particular storyline, as the book is really a non-fiction book. All Pigs are Beautiful introduces you to many different types of pig and new vocabulary. It is a biased view of pigs, due to the author's fondness for the animals. It is not entirely factual, therefore; the facts are
Anna

How to present facts about animals in an engaging and entertaining way? Undoubtedly, Dick King - Smith knows how to do it and his book “All Pigs are Beautiful” can be a perfect example. It introduces us to various breeds of pigs and presents their habits in an appealing way. This book contains pure facts about pigs distinguished from the main story by the use of different font and it also presents some funny statements about what pigs may be saying.

“All Pigs are Beautiful” may be used as a guid
Charlene Sterling
This is an exceptional book about Pigs. The story is informative and rich vocabulary and fantastic illustrations. The story is without poetry, rhyme or repetition other than the word pig. However, there are great additional informational texts under the illustrations that can support a child’s understanding of pigs, and nature. This story could be used in a cross-curricular way in the class room in science for helping children to develop knowledge and understanding of animals.

At the end of the b
L
A clever well written and beautifully illustrated book all about facts about pigs.

Reading level 4.3 with a few solid vocabulary words to figure out. A few notes on each page near the pictures give another detail but are in a cursive style font so might throw an early reader off trying to sound out letters.
Kathryn
A bit wordy at times but very sweet. You can feel the love the author has for pigs. The illustrations are great!
Teri
Cute book that is also informative about pigs.
Whitney Bailey
Think of a mnemonic to help you remember how to spell 'beautiful'.

Some people might think of pigs as 'monstrous and frightening'. Can you think of words that mean the same as or the opposite of this? -- synonyms and antonyms.

Make a shape poem about a pig, in the shape of a pig (see Resources below).

Think of some thought / speech bubbles for the pigs in the illustrations.
Kaye
636.4 KING-SMITH
A nonfiction book written in a picture book style. The picture book story line has is beautifully detailed drawings. On the same page with the story, their is another picture with handwritten words that tell a tidbit about pig life. Great for young readers.
Robert
This is a cute little book. It provides good information about pigs in a friendly and humorous manner. Illustrators have captions to help guide the reader. The author discusses pigs from his personal ownership.

Good stuff here. And yes, pigs are beautiful.
Rebecca
I learned that pigs cover themselves in mud as a form of sunscreen...to protect against sunburn. I didn't know that. I also learned that piglets always nurse from the same mother's teat, they claim it at birth. Didn't know that before either.

Kelly
I love pigs, so of course I loved this picture book! Sometimes it seems like there's too much text for younger kids, but the illustrations are almost unbearably cute so I think that makes up for too much text on some pages.
Pete
I gave this book a star because I felt I had to at least give one. I mean, who compares people to pigs, with pigs coming out on top. I must say this book provided a great opportunity for us to discuss what really matters.
Amanda Andrews
This was a pretty neat book. It's the perspective of a girl who loves pigs and tells you many reasons why. It also has informational facts about pigs along the way.
CFAITC
Sep 27, 2013 CFAITC added it
Shelves: primary
This book explains everything you've always wanted to know about pigs, proving whether they're big, little, gentle or stubborn, all pigs are beautiful.
Emma
Llewellyn likes this at 22 months simply for the pigs. 'Pig' he says. 'Piiiiiig'. How many stars is that, friends?
Sara
A children's nonfiction picture book about pigs - it's perfect! Very pretty illustrations.
Sammy
Aug 07, 2011 Sammy added it
Pigs are beautiful. Loved this book.
Mary
Very informative and beautiful book.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Cierra Smith
Cierra Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Beezoo
Beezoo marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Aryana Kolton
Aryana Kolton marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Ally
Ally marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dick King-Smith was born and raised in Gloucestershire, England, surrounded by pet animals. After twenty years as a farmer, he turned to teaching and then to writing children's books.

Dick writes mostly about animals: farmyard fantasy, as he likes to call it, often about pigs, his special favorites. He enjoys writing for children, meeting the children who read his books, and knowing that they get
More about Dick King-Smith...

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans
  • Just Ducks!
Babe: The Gallant Pig The Water Horse A Mouse Called Wolf Martin's Mice The Hodgeheg