Zukunftsvisionen

Zukunftsvisionen

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,267 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Take it easy: that's Michio Kaku's motto. Given the extraordinary advances science has thrown up in time for the millennium, the only way you could possibly fit them into a single volume is by a correspondingly massive simplification.

Subtitled How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st Century and Beyond, Visions assumes that, by and large, scientists get to do whatever the

Published 2000 by Knaur (first published September 15th 1997)

Heather
Richard Dawkins defines "poetic magic" as something deeply moving, something exhilarating, something that gives you goose bumps in the night... in short, makes you feel good to be alive. Reading a book by Michio Kaku is poetic magic. Approachable, entertaining science writing, about reaching toward mastery of matter, life, and intelligence to reshape ourselves and the universe around us.

This was written about 15 years ago, so as a futurism book it's dated in places, but since we're only 12 years...more
Priya
The book was written in 1997, so it was interesting to see how Kaku's short term projections came out. It is split into the quantum revolution, computer revolution, and molecular revolution, with the broad theme that soon we will become masters instead of observers of the universe. By soon, I mean at least 100-10,000 years, depending on your definition of master. Anyway, it was a fun read. I will probably check out his most recent book, Physics of the Future.
Alberto
This is about technological developments for the next 100 years and beyond. A great investigation by a great scientist.

Written about 10 years ago, so its getting outdated but a lot of the predictions are happening. Good for anybody in the technology field or interested in tech foresight.
Craig
Kaku just sees to repeat a few sound bites over and over. He makes the common pop science mistake of truncating his explanations as they get technical, rather than explaining them in layman's terms. The result is like climbing into fog - the science becomes disembodied and disconnected.
Chris Meger
If you have any intention of keeping up with the 21st century, your best bet is to get out ahead of it. Read and learn.
Jason Mcclenney
I learned all about the future in this book. There are three main areas talked about in the book. These are: the computer revolution, the biotechnology revolution, and the quantum revolution.

I am most interested in the computer revolution. Computers are always getting smaller, faster, and able to store more. They will become increasingly ubiquitous in our lives. My favorite subject was artificial intelligence. I am fascinated by the brain, so I loved when the author expounded on how the brain wo...more
Leon M
Donna
I inadvertently made this book even more intellectually intriguing than it would have been otherwise by waiting ten years to read it.

Published in 1997, Visions is a futuristic look at what’s likely to happen in the decades to come in three areas of science that are rapidly converging: computer science, biotechnology, and quantum physics. As nearly as I can tell as a layperson, Kaku has been dead-on for the first decade since the book’s publication. Consequently, even his most off-the-wall predi...more
Jos
Still a very good read.

Reread this book (1'st read was in 1999/2000) after having finished "Physics of the Future" also by Michio Kaku.
Parts of this book were used verbatim in the later one, this is no wonder as we have a long way to go until some of these 'events' come to pass.

In hindsight it seems to me that computer science is the only science that keeps up with the predictions. It's true that major steps have been taken in other sciences but nothing that compares to... Moore's law.

Genetics...more
Briankiwi
If I had looked more closely before grabbing this book on Kindle from my library, I probably wouldn't have read a futuristic book written way back in 1998--but after diving into it, the book warrants reading even today. Helped me make sense of many changes in technology that have been happening outside my sphere of immediate awareness, provided a physicist's perspective on the revolution in genetics, and gave me yet another glimpse into the mysterious world of quantum mechanics. If I have a prob...more
Troy Crayson
Great book. Being 10 years old, its amazing how many of the things he predicts are already commonplace, while others are still far off on the horizon. Most, if not all seem INEVITABLE , not "what if" type stuff. Some of it might not happen for 150+ years, some, will happen within 5. Fascinating.

Kaku is (and is widely considered) one of the best writers (and public figures) talking and writing about reality / science. Unfortunately we are too busy wondering about what a wizard is doing playing w...more
Taro
I thought that this book is very interesting and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in hearing theories rather than just facts. In this book, famous physicist Michio Kaku talks about how science as of now has been the stepping stone of life. During the next several years he explains how we would soon be able to take what we have learned about life such as laws of natures or DNA structures and apply it to our everyday need. Michio Kaku's prediction was that we will soon change from "P...more
Nicol
My husband and I have been listening to Michio Kaku since the 1990a. So, even though this title is over ten years old, it's still relevant in its predictions based on current technology and mapping our leaps into advanced science with each passing year. It's about what is possible in the future of science and technology from medical break-throughs to I AM ROBOT androids to space travel. For instance, Kaku told us ten years ago that flat screen televisions mounted on walls were a possibility in o...more
Stuart
A fascinating read for the non-scientist (i.e. Me). Does a great job of explaining the link between quantum theory, computer development and biotechnology. He then projects those theories into the future. Written in 1997 I believe, it is interesting to see that many of the projections he has written of thru 2020 have in fact come true. It gave me a good grounding that will help me better understand these topics when they come up in news or science journals. His style is easy to read and peppered...more
Cassandra Kay Silva
I liked that Kaku spent a good deal of time on DNA and genetic advancements. I find this to be one of my favorite fields of interest, it must be included in visions of the future. Advancement in medicine will completely change our ideas about being human, as innovated research is used to outfit more than just the wold around us. I think he covered a vast amount of topics in a very small number of words which was well met. A fairly broad overview of some of the advancements that we can expect fro...more
José-contemplates-Saturn's Aurora
A very,very interesting book,both for scientists and laymen.Published in 1997,it's a look into the future. Three main revolutions expected to unfold: Computer's, a Bio molecular one and a Quantum revolution.
There are predictions reaching year 2100, antimatter engines...along with Nanotechnology advances (can you imagine supercomputers the size of atoms?), and eternal life seriously considered.Very futuristic: the idea of DNA computers...capable of solving problems faster than standard serial com...more
Steven
Michio Kaku is simply AMAZING! In this book, he is brilliant, entertaining, and understandable! He makes you dream like a boy again, thinking about the future and the capabilities of science and mankind.

This book predicts where science will take us in the near and distant future.

Michio Kaku (one of my favorite people in the world) is a Theoretical Physicist and a Futurist, and one of the founders and leading proponents of the new and exciting string theory.
Katherina
I am so happy I read this book. From the first 4 pages I knew that buying this book was worth it.
Even though it was published in 1997, and hence it is a bit outdated, that doesn't spoil the book much. I'd say it is quite amusing because of it, since we can see how well his predictions were made.
The language is perfect for people who aren't as deep into science, and it's very comprehensible.
I gained So much knowledge from this one book!
Jimmy Ng
Nathan
Sep 12, 2007 Nathan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Weapons manufacturers.
Michio Kaku's Visions is a look into the future. It focuses mainly on how the fields of quantum physics, biotechnology and computer science may converge in the future, and the possibilities for science's evolution in the decades to come. A fascinating set of "what if" scenarios that is easy to understand to those of us who don't have degrees in physics or microbiology.

NC
Jeff Quinn
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. At times, however, he is a bit redundant and a little too optimistic. I got around this by reading a bit at a time, as it is conveniently separated into sub-sections of a common theme. Some of the predictions Michio Kaku made (published in 1998) have already come true, and others seem just as likely. I'd recommend it.
Robby
Interesting book, although a bit outdated now since it was written in 1997... I enjoyed learning about a lot of the stuff he predicted, but it really dragged in the middle. I had a hard time getting through a lot of the sections about medical stuff and computer stuff. Good book, but I sure am glad to be done with it.
Jana
Very good, definitly a recommendation. It was published in 2000, and a few of Kakus predictions became reality already.
On a very personal note, having given a talk on the contents of this particular book made me enter a prestigious German schollar ship program. Thanks Michio Kaku!
Gerard
An entertaining and informative overview of the various technologies that will become significant in the 21st century. The book deals with the topics in way that those without any scientific background can grasp and also appreciate the changes these technologies will have on society.
Steve
Interesting to read this book 13 years past the publication date. A lot of the predictions for 2010 were simply far too optimistic. He seemed to go with the best case scenario fro the advancement of technology. Better was at the end the discussion of Type
Kdremak
Jun 29, 2008 Kdremak is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
published in 1997 still holds up. Good introduction to Michio Kaku and such daunting and previously i that i would never want to understand subjects. Physics EEEKKK! what is a writer of Fantasy and Murder Mystery Romances care from that LOL
Glenn
Between having a new baby and work, and the fact that this book was intriguing on the surface but way out of date and very dry, it took me pretty much a year to get through. Not recommended, and I love Kaku's TV and radio work.
Carol Green
I found the book fascinating. I have watched Dr. Kaku numerous times on the Science Channel. This book, written in 1997 projects the impact of science on the 21st century. Amazing. Very well written.
Hadrian
Moderately interesting pop-science book. I would have liked more detailed explanations instead of pleasant aphorisms about the future, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much Kaku got right.
Erik Dabel
Even though it's 13 years old now, it's still extremely interesting and insightful. It would be nice if he followed it up with an update in the next 5 years or so... Maybe at the 20 year mark?
  • Just Six Numbers: The Deep Forces That Shape the Universe
  • In Search of the Multiverse
  • The Inflationary Universe: The Quest for a New Theory of Cosmic Origins
  • Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution
  • Nature's Building Blocks: An A-Z Guide to the Elements
  • Conversations with Carl Sagan
  • Dreams of a Final Theory: The Scientist's Search for the Ultimate Laws of Nature
  • Cycles of Time: An Extraordinary New View of the Universe
  • God and the New Physics
  • Not Even Wrong: The Failure of String Theory and the Search for Unity in Physical Law
  • Warped Passages: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe's Hidden Dimensions
  • The Case for Mars: The Plan to Settle the Red Planet and Why We Must
  • Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium
  • Does God Play Dice?: The New Mathematics of Chaos
  • The 4 Percent Universe: Dark Matter, Dark Energy, and the Race to Discover the Rest of Reality
  • The Life of the Cosmos
  • The Day We Found the Universe
  • Uncommon Wisdom: Conversations With Remarkable People
Dr. Michio Kaku is an American theoretical physicist at the City College of New York , best-selling author, a futurist, and a communicator and popularizer of science. He has written several books about physics and related topics of science.

He has written two New York Times Best Sellers, Physics of the Impossible (2008) and Physics of the Future (2011).

Dr. Michio is the co-founder of string field t...more
More about Michio Kaku...
Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the Tenth Dimension Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100 Beyond Einstein: The Cosmic Quest for the Theory of the Universe