Het laatste zwijgen

Het laatste zwijgen (Kimmo Joentaa #2)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Een meisje verdwijnt – precies op de plek waar drieëndertig jaar geleden een ander meisje is misbruikt en vermoord. De misdaad wekt niet alleen beroering bij de politie en het grote publiek, maar ook bij één van de daders van toen.

Niemand weet beter dan weduwnaar en inspecteur Kimmo Joentaa hoe het is om een dierbaar mens te verliezen. Daarom kijkt hij wel uit de ouders va...more
Published May 6th 2011 by Cossee (first published 2007)

Jim Coughenour
A few years ago I read Ice Moon, the first of Jan Costin Wagner's novels to be translated into English, and I was immediately curious about the next. Wagner is German, but his Detective Kimmo Joentaa is Finnish. His plots are set in Turku and Helsinki, amid forests and lakes and the abundant natural beauty of Finland's climate and geography. For a Californian like me, the landscape described through Joentaa's eyes is enough to set me dreaming of endless snowy nights or a midnight sun flickering...more
Karen
Because SILENCE is the third of the Detective Kimmo Joentaa series, I read it third. (Rebellious you may well think, not paying attention is a much better explanation).

One of the things that I most love about these three books - ICE MOON, SILENCE and THE WINTER OF THE LIONS is the sheer beauty of everything. The place, the culture and the emotion. Sure Joentaa is in deep mourning for his wife who died too young, but there's no sense of self-pity, this is simply a beautiful example of a man strug...more
Petra
Ich lese die Krimi-Reihe um Kimmo Joentaa zwar in komplett falscher Reihenfolge, angenehmerweise macht das aber nichts. "Das Schweigen" ist nichts für Leute, die Tempo und Action brauchen. Eigentlich ist es eher eine Psychographie als ein Krimi. Täter,Opfer, Angehörige und Polizisten - alle Charaktere sind bis ins Detail ausgearbeitet. Obwohl eigentlich nicht viel passiert, fand ich das Buch wirklich spannend. Der fünfte Stern fehlt nur, weil man am Schluß (gerade weil er glaubwürdig ist), ein w...more
Ellen Keim
I liked this better than the first novel in this series (Ice Moon). Although I only gave the first one three stars, I thought it had potential or I wouldn't have tried another. I'm glad I did.

The main character, Detective Kimmo Joentaa, is still grieving for his wife, who died only a week before the first book takes place. But his grief doesn't dominate this novel like it does in the first one. I also thought the story was better. And the end had a bit of a twist, which I like, too.

All in all, I...more
Anna
If you like the classic, old-fashioned Scandinavian style of crime and mystery stories, you might like this. Think among the lines of Matti Yrjänä Joensuu's Harjunpää series (please do ignore their horribly mediocre translations - the art has been perfected in the past 25 years), or Sjöwall & Wahlöö. Wagner's detective is Joentaa, a Finnish inspector who's got the sad lonely air around him, and not only because he's mourning his wife.

A girl disappeared in 1974, and it took months to find her...more
I really enjoyed this book - while it explores some pretty dark themes, it's not violent. The story was written from the perspective of various characters, which was interesting. I liked that the plot, like most of the characters, ended up not being what it seemed.

While I liked the ending, it was a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll definitely check out his other books, though.
Elli
Silence by Jan Costin Wagner. He is a German who married a Finnish woman, and this is most definitely a Nordic mystery. They live in Germany and Finland, not the English speaking world. This is a translation, but a good one. I don't think the first one by him that I read was done so well. A third one has come out and I am looking forward to reading it. It's eerie and creepy all right. He goes into much depth with his major characters similar to early Wallender according to one critic. It made fo...more
Paul Curd
Sally
Wagner is a Finnish writer with a style infested with minutia. He awoke and rubbed his eyes with both hands. He sat up and looked across the room, then swung first his left leg and then his right leg over the edge of the bed. He put his left foot on the floo. Then his right foot on the floor beside his left foot . He took a breath and then stood up.... Tiresome and artificial.Also, the author shifts the viewpount constantly from one character to the next. Too bed, because the plot is clever, wit...more
Jenny Thomson
A complete shambles of an opning, perhaps caused by poor translating or poor writer (it's hard to tell) that had me thinking there was one character with a multiple personality disorder, I almost didn't finish the book.

That would have been a pity because this wasn't a bad read. The main two police characters were likeable and the woman who's daughter was kidnapped and murdered 30-odd years ago gave us a good insight into what it's like to lose a child.

Sadly this book was let down by an ending t...more
Shari
This is one of those wonderful psychological mysteries. Everyone is emotionally damaged. It takes a while to figure out who is who. Names are doled out piecemeal and over a long period of reading time. It's our job to figure out where all the puzzle pieces presented to us might fit. There are times when it doesn't seem anyone is sane. At times we end up thinking no one or everyone committed the foul deed, and just what is the foul deed anyway? What actually was done to create so much blood?

The c...more
Corny
This Finnish detective novel, written by a German, is a muddled ethereal romp through a 33 year old murder case, somewhat in the style of Crime and Punishment. I found it of little interest. I am not sure what the message is but the plot lacks any shred of credulity. The detectives on the case start laughing for no apparent reason. Either the translation is horrific or most Finnish detectives are insane. Perhaps it is the climate. What saves this novel is the character of Timo who as a wannabe R...more
Andrew
My second in this series and a cracking crime series it is. The central detective is Kimmo who in the first book has just lost his wife. At 244 pages the novel is a perfect length and an interesting plot in which the character's are further developed, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next.
Heather
I enjoyed this second novel by Jan Costin Wagner, although subject of abuse in the novel,not described too fully so could read the book. For the next Wagner novel shall make the ffort to find out how to pronounce the characters names, which hampers me slightly. Coincidently I met a Finn in Preston last week,I will have to carry the next book around with me on the off chance we bump into each other, or perhaps just google, a far less interesting method!
T.

I'm tempted to give this a 5, due to its usefulness for one of my prose manuscripts. I'll say more at a later date. In short: great indirect characterization, well wrought emotional states, fragmentation /nonlinear aspect that makes the book more compelling and surprising for this genre. Thinking about why seemingly strange translation choices might make this an even more interesting read ....
Vivian
Dark. Very dark. Unlike anything I've ever read and enjoyed, but I did really enjoy this one, and I liked it even better than the first entry. I've grown attached to Kimmo Joentaa and his team. I thought that this was a good translation from the German, and I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Rosemary
I liked this book but felt that it lacked enough detail about the characters to make me feel any empathy. It took a while to get going and towards the end I was looking forward to how it would end. But I felt rather disappointed about it.
Abigail
Enjoyable Nordic Noir from Finland. (Well, sort of -- the author is German, but he lives in Finland and having lived in Finland myself, I think that counts). Adding this series to my crime fiction rotation. Kiitos, Jan Costin Wagner!
Simona
I read this & really enjoyed it today. I also watched the film that the book was based on - The Silence /Das letzte Schweigen(2010): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1361835 - some if it was different but a very good adaptation.
Joan
Interesting study of guilt.

Some experience it and some don't. And for the ones who do it manifests itself in many ways.

Not as good as The Winter of the Lion,so 3 1/2 stars.
Clane
Slow-moving but thoughtful, and unlike many stories that involve pedophilia, you don't feel like you're passing a terrible accident you can't look away from.
Stephanie
Humm I really enjoyed this, bit it just felt a bit rushed at the end. So a very good book, and I will read more from this author.
Matt
Briskly paced & occasionally artful Finnish crime tale. A longer, more exacting and Nordic Steven King short story.
Chris
Really moved along but, as usual, I got mixed up between who was who with all those Finnish names. My bad not his.
Lynn Kearney
A new (to me, pretty good Scandinavian thriller, set in Finland though written by a German.
MJ
interesting...sort of slow . been reading alot of nordic authors, like others better.
Sallyaslibrarian
Reading my Advance Reader's Copy. Review to appear in Library Journal.
Nisha D'lima
A book with promise but seems to be missing an ending??????
Chris
Pretty interesting with a real twist at the end.
Doctorwu51
Quirky & dark. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dregs (William Wisting #6)
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Dark Secrets (Sebastian Bergman, #1)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • Frozen Moment (Christian Tell, #1)
  • Dancing With The Virgins (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #2)
  • Burned (Henning Juul #1)
  • House of Evidence
  • Outrage (Inspector Erlendur #9)
  • The Terrorists (Martin Beck #10)
  • Betrayal
  • Season of the Witch (Einar, #4)
  • Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4)
  • Black Seconds (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #6)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Unseen (Anders Knutas, #1)
Jan Costin Wagner is a German crime fiction writer. His novels are set in Finland and feature detective Kimmo Joentaa.

Wagner studied German Literature and History at university in Frankfurt, and later worked as a journalist. His first novel, "Nachtfahrt" (Night Trip) was published to much acclaim in 2002 and won the Marlowe Prize for Best Crime Novel. His wife is a native of Finland, and they spen...more
More about Jan Costin Wagner...
Ice Moon The Winter of the Lions Das Licht in einem dunklen Haus Tage des letzten Schnees Nachtfahrt