Start by marking “The Study of Language” as Want to Read:
The Study of Language
George Yule

The Study of Language

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,153 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
This best-selling textbook provides an engaging and user-friendly introduction to the study of language. Assuming no prior knowledge in the subject, Yule presents information in short, bite-sized sections, introducing the major concepts in language study eÄì from how children learn language to why men and women speak differently, through all the key elements of language. T ...more
Published November 17th 2010 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1985)

Dunya Al-Mishqab
Jul 12, 2011 Dunya Al-Mishqab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The best introductory book of language. I've studied it in college for the Introduction to linguistics course, and it was really amazing. I liked how the author used an easy language to explain and illustrate, and the examples in the beginning were great. I enjoyed it and I highly recommend it :)
Sep 20, 2016 پگاه rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
من میدونستم زبانشناسی دوست دارم! همین طور از دور و نخوانده!
ایشون رو که خوندم فهمیدم حدودا چه جاهاییش رو دوست دارم.
از فصولش، اون جاهایی که راجع به مغز و زبان میگفت بهترین بودن. البته خییلی کلّی بودن و دلم میخواد بیشتر بدانم و بخوانم( لذا از همه تون تقاضا دارم اگر در این باره کتابی میدونید بهم بگید! سخت هم باشه اوکیه! میرم میخونم فیزیولوژیش رو:) ) در ادامهی همین، جایی که پروسهی اکوییزیشن ِ زبان اول رو میگفت خیلی خوب بود!
جایی که تاریخ انگلیسی رو میگفت هم خیلی دوست داشتم که البته قبلا دوستداشتنم رو
Leyla Taran
Dec 07, 2008 Leyla Taran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm studying this book and it consist of lots of nice things to provides a solid foundation in all of the essential topics,& introduce the analysis of the key elements of language-sounds,words,structures and meaning.
an very inclusive introduction into the fields of linguistics, starts off with origins of language, aspects of language that is, phonetics phonology morphology, syntax and semantics, gives a wonderful basic explanation of the function of each. and then goes on to the wonderful stuff of applied linguistics, discourse analysis, pragmatics, first language acquisition, second language, language change, sign language, sociolinguistics and language and culture. regrettably no chapters on psycho-lungui ...more
María Ramirez
Jan 28, 2016 María Ramirez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have I mentioned before that I'm an English teacher?
Well, aside from all the good and enjoyable fantasy, contemporary and other books I've read, I've also read the academic ones! :)
I'm not an empty head! Woho to me! :D =P
Teresa Hill
Oct 26, 2010 Teresa Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent overview of all languages. Language application, theories, and linguistic symbols. Most defiently a re-read for me. Love the section on manner and place of articulation.
Giuseppe D
Apr 12, 2013 Giuseppe D rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IMHO a great introductory book for those who want to know more and get acquainted to linguistics. It doesn't necessarily focus solely on English giving many examples of how things work in other languages, more or less spoken and known. Moreover it gives very good explanations even for beginners and study questions at the end of each chapter encouraging the student/reader to make use of the notions just acquired and deepen their knowledge. It also quotes 'Me talk pretty one day' by David Sedaris ...more
Feb 15, 2009 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dear Friends,

Today, February 15, 2009, I am resolving to write up the books I have read in order to have a list to refer to. Let's see if I can stick to my resolution for the next year.

While The Study of Language had a fascinating title and while it began with some interesting observations and examples of the beginnings of language, it raced on to a more scientific and uninteresting area that did not interest me. Neither my husband nor I felt compelled to finish it.
Jan 07, 2014 Abdelrahman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect introductory book for those who want to know introductions about all fields of Linguistics. However, professors ordered to study all the fields in Linguistics course which seems dull and weird course in my major (English Translation). It is not good who really wants to focus on a specific sub-field in Linguistics. I skimmed through several chapters as History of Language and The Origins of Language as I do not believe it will make much difference for me.
Kate Croft
Mar 07, 2012 Kate Croft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accessible, streamlined introduction to most of the basic areas of linguistics, from phonetics to syntax to language development and sociolinguistics. Not practical for in-depth study of any particular field, but excellent as an overview. The "textbook" elements (chapter review questions, etc.) are thoughtful and stimulating, as well.
Apr 11, 2015 Amal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An accessible introduction to most of the basic areas of linguistics, from phonetics to syntax to language development and sociolinguistics. Not practical for in-depth study of any particular field, but excellent as an overview. I highly recommend it to the beginner students of general linguistics since it is beneficial and the language is not beyond their level.
Apr 17, 2010 Sara. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Book is amazing. I also admire the writer, he knows how to clarify something... I just read about 4 to 5 chapters, I don't know how I can get access to the whole book ?

so if anyone could help me.....
Sebah Al-Ali
Read this book a very long time ago. It was the textbook for one of my early language courses.

I don't remember it well, but it was a resourceful book, informative. It was used to introduce linguistics to students.
Apr 11, 2012 Hazem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is an amazing book, easy to read, easy to understand, very suitable for beginners in the field of Linguistics, I strongly recommend all those are new to Linguistics to get a copy, the presentation is clear, and the ideas are well-organized.
Hassina Belghoul
Sep 11, 2012 Hassina Belghoul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: study
perfect introductions to everything I am interested about. very simple cristal clear and comprehensive. loved the book.
Awesome! I loved the type of writing so much! Nice examples at the beginning of the chapters! I do recommend it!
Sep 27, 2009 Pihla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I applied to Tampere University to study English and I found it very interesting and informative. It's been on my list of books to re-read for a few years now.
Aug 20, 2015 Pablo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great introduction to Linguistics. Getting a bit old when talking about computers and language but fun to read in general.
Jul 15, 2016 HaameD rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linguistics
tremendously helpful, I love how Yule gradually enhances with each chapter. The recommendations at the end of each chapter is brilliant. This is the ultimate introduction to linguistics Everyone of Yule's books are of such fantastic quality that won't ever bore the amateur reader or at least didn't bore this particular reader. Overall, I while think the chapter on Semantics could be longer and also with regard to the Speech Act theory, that I think Yule could have advanced on it a bit more, but ...more
Narmin Hajizadeh
Amazing guide book with tons of interesting facts about languages! One may think that language is something that should not be studied about: dude, get this book and read. It is not worse than physics, astronomy or any other scientific book. I really enjoyed reading that course during my entire academic year. The book contains all necessary information about linguistics, sociolinguistics, lexicology and related subjects.

I pay my tribute to George Yule!

P.S. I had final examination on this subject
This book basically covers everything about language. From how language developed through first and second language acquisition, sign language, the language centers in the brain, the social role of language and the developement of language through time. However, I don't feel that it is very thorough on the different subjects but rather gives the reader a general overview of these. I read it as part of my university studies and at this level I expect more. But definitely a good introduction to th ...more
Apr 22, 2016 Henna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for my entrance exams and the first thought I had when I was eyeing the book through was 'Ugh no way, I dont care', but when I actually started reading I was positively surprised - there were times when I didn't want to put the book down! It was written really skillfully and the examples were ones you'll remember. The book was easy to understand and it covered nicely so many aspects. I even went on to recommend it to people who didn't have anything to do with English studies, so ...more
Dec 02, 2014 Cristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was only supposed to check a couple of chapters I was interested in, but I ended up reading the whole book.

I think it is a great introductory book and everyone interested in Language and Linguistics should read it to have a general idea. It is very easy to follow and everything is well explained thanks to the simple definitions and various examples the author provides. I also enjoyed the humor, which should be appreciated considering the type of book and the subjects that are addressed in it.
Feb 13, 2014 Leena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Study of Language by George Yule is an amazing succinct book of Linguistics that combines all Linguistics areas in only 200 pages! It's very informative. It gives only the most important information you need to know about Linguistics. It's a very ''solid foundation'' and a clear very easy-to-understand reference in ALL linguistics areas; theoretical, descriptive and applied! A must to buy and have and read BOOK!
Jul 14, 2014 Mashael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linguistics
Great and useful textbook to have for studying Language . It deals with several topics in Linguistics in a very clear and simple way , but not deeply explained . I've bought it for my Introductory Linguistics class and still have it as a reference . I highly recommend it as a begining window to study language :) . Must read for everyone interested in Linguistics .
Ryry Dos
Really nice book , every thing was presented simply and nicely. What I like the most was that every thing they talked about would have a really easy and catchy example, which would make it very easy to me as a student.
Kathleen C.
This book presented information in a concise and orderly way. Reading was easy because the language was not dry or too technical. The tasks and study questions were helpful and helped me to think deeper about the topic it covered.
"El Lenguaje" es un libro teórico sobre el lenguaje muy interesante y entretenido. Los conceptos son explicados con claridad y el autor utiliza un sentido del humor muy refrescante para hacer la lectura más llevadera.
Sannie Hald

"Why is 6 afraid of 7? well because 789" --> couldn't stop laughing. I heard the joke so many years ago and it was somewhat nostalgic to hear it again
Mar 24, 2013 Jonah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An ideal book for those who want to learn more about languages in general. I enjoyed reading it myself! A lot of interesting and factual things I discovered! Thumbs UP to the author!
  • An Introduction to Language
  • English Phonetics and Phonology
  • A Course in Phonetics
  • Essential Introductory Linguistics
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • Foundations of Language: Brain, Meaning, Grammar, Evolution
  • Contemporary Linguistics: An Introduction
  • Language Myths
  • Language Change: Progress or Decay?
  • Language Death
  • Principles of Language Learning and Teaching
  • Pragmatics
  • Language: The Basics
  • An Introduction to Historical Linguistics
George Yule has worked as an English teacher in Britain, Canada, Jamaica, and Saudi Arabia. He has also taught Applied Linguistics in the Universities of Edinburgh, Hawaii, Louisiana State and Minnesota.
More about George Yule...