Start by marking “Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #5)

Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery #5)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  716 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Avery and her hunky handyman boyfriend Derek Ellis are renovating another house in Waterfield, Maine. But it’s not just any house. It belongs to local news anchor Tony “the Tiger” Micelli—and it’s a quaint cottage with limitless possibilities. Even more exciting is that the makeover is going to be filmed as part of a home renovation TV show.

Unfortunately the road to cable
Published (first published October 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Flipped Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flipped Out

Christine
Avery Baker and her boyfriend and business partner Derek Ellis are beginning their fifth home renovation project together. Their latest project is to update the 1930s cottage belonging to local news anchor Tony “the Tiger” Micelli. This isn’t just any renovation project. The crew of Flipped Out! Is coming to Waterfield, Maine and will be filming the whole project. If that isn’t enough pressure, the entire project must be completed within one week. Further complicating the situation, Tony’s girlf ...more
Eileen
I love this series and even though I suspected who it was, I wasn't completely sure until the end. It was a quick read partly because I couldn't put it down.
Shirley Worley
Avery and handyman boyfriend Derek are the stars of a week-long make-over project that is being filmed for a home-renovation project. When the owner of the home is discovered dead, the project is put in jeopardy and Derek's ex-wife and the murder victim's fiancé is the prime suspect. Avery tried to (albeit, very reluctantly) clear her name, only to put her life in jeopardy. I really enjoy the characters, however in this book, I am a bit put off by Avery's jealousy of Derek's ex-wife. She seems a ...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
This is the 5th Do-It-Yourself Mystery so clearly I've jumped ahead in the series as I try to pick them up. Avery and Derek's relationship has advanced and they're in business together - with most of the work falling to Derek. This rehab is for cable-TV sleezeball Tony "the tier" Micelli, and the rehab will be a quick one, filmed for TV. Tony's the dead body driving the mystery, but why? There may be more dead bodies to follow!

Love the Maine setting - and those huge mysterious Maine Coon cats.

Fred
This is the fifth book in the Do It Yourself Mystery series. And a great addition it is, too.

I have really enjoyed all the books in this series and this was no exception. Some books grab you on page one and this one did just that.

Avery and Derek are back on the mainland renovating the home of a local TV personality and the fiancee of Derek's ex wife, Melissa. This renovation is going to be taped for showing on a DIY tV show. The crew has arrived and Avery and Derek are doing a walk thru of the h
Diana Leigh
4 stars!

FLIPPED OUT is the fifth book in Jennie Bentley's popular Do-It-Yourself mystery series. I really enjoyed this one. In fact, I'd put it in my top three favorite cozy mysteries I've read this year.

For someone new to the series like me, Ms. Bentley did an excellent job of weaving in the series backstory with this book's mystery. Avery Baker has lived in Waterfield, Maine, for about a year, ever since she inherited her aunt's old house. She's a former Manhattan textile designer, and her boy
Michelle
Ok...I admit it. I am now, thanks to this series, completely and wholeheartedly in luurve with cozies. It's like a super sharp lemon drop for my mind....fun to savor and easy to digest, even as my eyes water (from giggling like a dork). It is also gone all too soon- a coupla hours is all it takes to read one of these books. *LITERALLY the perfect book for a rainy afternoon under a snuggie.
I read a lot...and a little of almost every genre. From abnormal psychology, true crime, paranormal, and sc
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I really enjoyed this cozy murder mystery set in Waterfield, Maine. It is about our sleuth duo, property renovators, Avery Baker and Derek Ellis as they set off to do an episode of a popular reality television show, "Flipped Out!".

Avery's new step-father,Noel asks the couple to help him out by renovating local newsman, Tony (the Tiger) Micelli's house. Tony uses the house as a rental and it could use some fixing up, but, the show requires it to be done in five days...yikes!

As Avery and Derek try
Erin
3.5 stars, really, because I guessed the villain from the very beginning, although I did not guess a couple of the subplots.

Avery and Derek are about to renovate another house, this time for television. Avery's stepfather has arranged for them to be featured on an episode of "Flipped Out!" which his TV network produces. When the crew arrives to start filming, the director, Nina, discovers that the owner of the house in question is a former colleague and boyfriend of hers from twenty years ago. T
Melody
Another excellent home renovation mystery. Avery gets in so many scrapes, this time she is fooled by the least likely suspect and nearly gets killed for her error. But she does get the dreaded ex-wife put in jail, at least for a few days.
Doris
I really like this series and the characters and look forward to the next adventure. That said, while this was still an interesting read and a good mystery, I felt like Avery (the lead) did a bit too much rehashing of events; it began to feel repetitive and like filler. There were a few instances where questions were asked by her or another, answered and then immediately asked and answered again like the characters (in real life: proofreaders/editors) weren't paying attention to what they were d ...more
Mirjam
Flipped Out is a wonderful cosy full of delightful twists and turns that kept me guessing till the very end. Avery 'Tink' Baker and Derek are a great couple and I always enjoy spending time with them. As usual Melissa, Derek's ex-wife, is the ex everyone hopes to never meet. This time she finds herself in a right pickle when she becomes a murder suspect. Lucky for her Derek and Avery are good folks who are willing to risk life and limb to find the real killer before anyone else gets hurt or kill ...more
Amanda
I absolutely loved this novel!

Avery and Derek are back with a new project and another death in Waterfield. Can they solve this one before someone else dies?

Avery and Derek are such a great fit as a couple and as business partners. They seem to keep each other balanced, and Avery keeps things interesting always coming up with design ideas that Derek would never think of on his own.

They are both so intelligent and inquisitive, they have has success in the past finding the truth in difficult situat
Laura Brown
I am loving these cozy little mysteries! Avery is like a nice, sweet, creative Stephanie Plum. I wasn't prepared for the plot twist at the end.
M.E.
Another good addition - and unlike another reviewer, I did not figure it out until later in the book. Bentley has built a very believable, enjoyable world in Waterfield.

One of the risks to a cozy with romantic elements is stagnation in the relationship, and one of the best things about this book is how that is avoided in the Derek/Avery relationship. However, it's also nice how Bentley avoids making Avery sound like an insecure/sniping girlfriend - she has legitimate thoughts and concerns.

The fi
Elizabeth
Another great Do It Yourself mystery. Avery and her boyfriend Derek have agreed to flip a house for a TV show. Think Sell This House on HGTV. A local TV newscaster offers his small house. From day 1, when a dead body shows up when the crew comes in to film, things go wrong. There are no shortages of suspects, both within the crew and in the community, including the victim's fiancee. Several others involved in the house flip have close calls with death, including Avery. I was surprised by who the ...more
Vickie
Murder in Maine. Avery and her boyfriend, Derek, have been having really good results with their house flipping, which is taking a house, renovating, selling and moving onto the next project. This time there's a television crew recording it all. To include the murder of the owner of the house. Flipping a house and solving the murder are now both in the works.
This is another one of my favorite cozy series. Neat town, nifty characters, and swell house renovation tips included in each book of the
Dogsandbooks
Donated to DPL 2015
Lorrie
This series is always fun to read.
Another GREAT book in the series. This one was a little bit tougher for me to get into than the other books but I still really enjoyed it. I really like the relationship between Derek and Avery, and I cant wait to see it develop into hopefully a marriage. However I can NOT stand Melissa - she either needs to die or she needs to move far far away and out of the picture. Please keep up the good writing!
Erin
Good fifth installment in this series...the mystery holds your attention, the supporting characters are interesting and I love books about home renovating. The only real problem I have with this series is that the main character, avery, is catty and unlikable; her boyfriend Derek does not seem to live up to her hero-worshipping description of him and his ex-wife is too ditzy to believe.
Brenda Kirton
Not a bad read. Mystery was challenging for long enough and the characters had enough personality. I will be looking for the next one. Although as someone who has worked in a building supply store for years and has several tilers for relatives, there was an error in the tiling description that would have made an obviously bad job. But the story was good.
Maggie
A Maine couple who are do-it-yourselfers take on the renovation of a cottage and then agree to do the entire renovation in a week with a TV crew filming them. Instead of flipping the house quickly, they are stymied by the appearance of a corpse, which flips everyone out and wreaks havoc on their schedule. Lovely DIY tips at the end. A fun read!
Nancy H
Another in the Maine-based 'Do-It-Yourself' mysteries, this one involves a TV crew coming to town to film Avery and Derek 'flip' a house in a week's time. Of course, there is the requisite murder, the requisite red herrings, and the ultimate solution. This is a strong series with good characters and good plotting.
Wendy
This was okay............ I like this series, but I did not like this book nearly as much as the previous ones. I knew who done it, and I did not like the way that either Avery or Derek acted in this book. Will probably keep reading this series, but won't anticipate the next book as much after this one.
Liz
So. Somehow I got the fifth book in the series instead of the first (idek) but this was an awesome introduction nonetheless. The characters and setting were welcoming, the mystery had quite a few layers, and the overall plot was resolved nicely. Looking forward to going back to the first one now.
Staci Williams
I should have left this on the "did not finish" list. But it was on the shelf, so... Bad writing (every other sentence was "I nodded" or "he shrugged"). Disappointing end. And talk about my pet peeve of being just too far out of the realm of plausible reality...
Jeanine
Fifth in the Do-It-Yourself Mystery series, Flipped Out hits the mark! This series is delightful, full of rich characters and plot lines. Although each book is a stand alone, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not reading them all.
Susan
Another interesting story line, thought I had it figured out, but there was a little twist
Valerie
Another winner with Avery & Derek doing a quick renovation for a TV show, i.e. "Flipped Out." A murder for unknown reasons, 20 year old reunion former relationships. Good paced story with hints here and there but guessing to the end.
  • Polished Off (Southern Beauty Shop, #2)
  • A Deadly Cliché (A Books by the Bay Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Patterns (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #3)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Chapter and Hearse (A Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Night of the Living Dandelion (A Flower Shop Mystery, #11)
  • A Parfait Murder (A Mystery a La Mode, #3)
  • Digging Up Trouble (Nina Quinn, #3)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • One Book in the Grave (A Bibliophile Mystery, #5)
  • The Good the Bad and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Death in a Difficult Position (Mantra for Murder, #4)
  • The Diva Haunts the House (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #5)
  • The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)
  • How to Survive a Killer Séance (Party Planning, #3)

A Do-It-Yourself Mystery (7 books)
  • Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #3)
  • Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4)
  • Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)
  • Home for the Homicide (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #7)
Fatal Fixer-Upper (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #1) Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2) Plaster and Poison (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #3) Mortar and Murder (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #4) Wall-to-Wall Dead (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #6)