Start by marking “Irish History for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Irish History for Dummies

Irish History for Dummies (For Dummies)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
From Norman invaders, religious wars--and the struggle for independence--the fascinating, turbulent history of a tortured nation and its gifted people When Shakespeare referred to England as a "jewel set in a silver sea," he could just as well have been speaking of Ireland. Not only has its luminous green landscape been the backdrop for bloody Catholic/Protestant conflict ...more
Published May 18th 2011 by For Dummies (first published January 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Irish History for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish History for Dummies

Anna C
Mar 31, 2015 Anna C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
Got some weird looks at the checkout counter, but this was totally worth it.

You see, I want to understand the Troubles in Northern Ireland. However, all the books I have found are written by stodgy professors and intended for scholars who already speak Gaelic and can give the chemical composition of a pint of Guinness. Typically, when I need an easy introduction to a thorny topic, I go for a children's book (no joke). However, I had the hardest time finding kid's books on the IRA. Bizarre, right
Charles Shapiro
Apr 25, 2015 Charles Shapiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about Irish history, and need to re-read it to actually learn the names of significant people and dates. I appreciated the last chapter that went into the top ten places to visit, ten people you never heard of from Ireland, but should have, and ten significant books.
Andrea Zuvich
OK, this book is written in a fun, engaging way which was fine. That being said, I specialise in the history of the Late Stuarts and I was concerned when I read about the Glorious Revolution. Oh dear. The book repeatedly refers to Mary II as James II's 'sister' when she was, in fact, his daughter! (page 208). I'm sure this can be attributed to the often confusing fact that James *did* have a sister, also named Mary, who married William II of Orange. This couple produced William III, who then in ...more
Amy
Apr 28, 2010 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ghastly mash up of anecdotal history, April 28, 2010
By Amy E. Henry (Nipomo, CA United States) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Irish History For Dummies (Paperback)
This was a subtext used in an anthropology class, and it is incredibly useless. There is no cohesive theme or element in the text: it jumps around in a flippant, jokey, childish tone (even cartoons) that minimizes the importance and relevance of what should be socially urgent information.

Time periods jumble around, the ja
Jenn Rogers
Jul 11, 2015 Jenn Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Will definitely read again.
Matthew
Jun 30, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Picked this up to get a better handle on some history of Ireland before trying to tackle some James Joyce. Cronin's written a pretty thorough but easily read book that gives a very broad overview of the history of Ireland. More than anything, though, I appreciate his writing style. He interjects small bits of humor here and there, which keeps the text from coming off too dry or boring. Definitely a good primer for someone just starting out with the history of the Emerald Isle.
Sonja
Mar 11, 2012 Sonja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read Irish History for Dummies right after I read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture and even between those two books for Idiots/Dummies I already found different views on what really happened. Even though the Dummies book was more focussed on Irish History than the Idiot's guide, I still thought the Idiot's guide was more useful to me in understanding books on the subject of Irish history that I read while in Ireland.
D
Както всички книги от тази поредица и тази е написана на доста простоват, дори на моменти неуспешно шеговит език с всички позитиви и негативи от това. Чете се бързо и не изисква голяма концентрация. Моето мнение е, че една академично написана книга дава доста по-ясни представи за историята на което и да е, но в случая няма много избор.
Jurate Stanaityte
I've seen the criticism for this book but as a foreigner I'm glad I read it: should have done it much earlier. Read it before visiting Ireland for a richer experience :)
Michelle
Jun 14, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is not the most engaging from the "Dummies" series, but it is clearly written and easy to understand. A good way to get information about Irish history, but definitely not the most entertaining way to get it.
Sara
Dec 02, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I chose this book as I was looking more for a neutral history of Ireland and it almost managed that. It provides a working knowledge on the history of Ireland that was nice to supplement my experiences there.
Frances Brand
Jun 05, 2016 Frances Brand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and well written
C.
Nov 03, 2015 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Interesting
Maria Nichtsdestotrotz
Maria Nichtsdestotrotz marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Juleen Brantingham
Juleen Brantingham rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Pippilotta Långstrump
Pippilotta Långstrump marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Heather Beaty
Heather Beaty marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Soile Kokkonen
Soile Kokkonen marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Keppi Serpa
Keppi Serpa marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Wicca Rossini
Wicca Rossini marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
John Kerrick
John Kerrick rated it it was ok
May 28, 2016
noah broyles
noah broyles rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2016
Denny
Denny rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Esther Pohl
Esther Pohl marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Suzan
Suzan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
  • British History for Dummies
  • Canadian History for Dummies
  • World History for Dummies
  • Organizing for Dummies
  • Genealogy Online for Dummies
  • Cooking For Dummies
  • U.S. History For Dummies
  • Vegetable Gardening for Dummies?
  • Gardening All-In-One for Dummies
  • Shakespeare for Dummies
  • Mythology for Dummies
  • Frugal Living for Dummies
  • Fitness for Dummies
  • 101 Things You Didn't Know About Irish History: The People, Places, Culture, and Tradition of the Emerald Isle (101 Things You Didnt Know Abt)
  • Container Gardening for Dummies
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • Genetics For Dummies
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies