Start by marking “Mirror Talk” as Want to Read:
Mirror Talk

Mirror Talk

Winner of the 2012 IndieReader Discovery Award for Best Memoir

Memories of a Catholic girlhood and being an actress in New York theatre are recalled in this tenderhearted and often hilarious memoir.
Published by Amazon (first published June 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mirror Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirror Talk

Kimberly Fujioka
Jul 20, 2011 Kimberly Fujioka rated it it was amazing
Barbara Alfaro’s Mirror Talk is a delightful book of essays and poems all tied in together to form a memoir. She weaves the many tales of her Catholic childhood in New York and her years of theatre work. The memoir is full of humor and sadness as the reader watches Barbara grow up. It shows a young girl growing into maturity who is full of spunk and has the courage to ask the difficult questions. In one essay, she asks, as a young woman, “What is love? Was it putting stone in your shoes and ...more
Irma Walter
Aug 25, 2012 Irma Walter rated it really liked it
A feather-light memoir, like sheer gossamer. Barbara recaptures seemingly random memories of her life and slowly a figure takes shape: her own life, struggles of matching her restrained personality with her passion, the stage.
Rolando Garcia
Jul 12, 2011 Rolando Garcia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, family, memoir, poetry
I can only compare reading Barbara's Mirror talk to appreciating a pointillist painting. When you begin to read it up close, the author lays down the colored dots of her life leaping from past to present and back. Sometimes you wonder what she is up to, but as you keep reading, and you step back, the dots form patterns, and patterns of patterns, until finally you get to the end and are able to see the whole; and it all makes sense. Anyone can live a life and write about it, but poets like ...more
Penelope
An engaging, often humorous, sometimes regretful book of reflections on the author’s life. The author goes back to her Irish Catholic family and the influence of the church— “bouncing down Hell Avenue.” The first time she sees a stage play, her desire to become an actress is born. She spends years acting in bit parts, off Broadway, in local theater, and directing plays. As a mature university student studying poetry, she talks about the mark of the Marks—her teacher and the glowing aftereffects ...more
Cheryl
May 24, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
It is always interesting to read about someone elses life. Step into his or her world. I love hearing stories about how people grew up and what makes them who they are today.

It was interesting how her Catholic upbringing, even though she had to "overcome" things the nuns said, stayed with her. Like a foundation. I enjoyed reading how she worked through the nun image of God and discovered the true God on her own.

This is was a good book. I enjoyed it a lot.
Carrie Allen
Feb 21, 2016 Carrie Allen rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I think it is a sweet grouping of memories. Some of them made me sad and some of them made me think that the author is a bitter person, who wanted to make it big in a field where she never did. There is definitely an intense dislike for Angelina Jolie...I think if I acted and wrote a book of personal memories and stories about my life, I would not want to waste my time trashing another actor. However, those things aside-I did enjoy the book and lots of it made me smile.
Suzanne
Jul 14, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Barbara Alfaro takes her reader right into the moment - whether it's with her knees knocking at an audition or her terse conversation with a former mate. Barbara has an Irish gift of gab that lilts with stories of her family life on Long Island when we all knew where the potato fields were. Mirror Talk delivers - with humor, nostalgia, integrity and style.
Joe
Jul 02, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
A wonderful memoir full of feelings, truths, joy, pain, memories and hope. Ms. Alfaro's writing is easy to read and her expression compelling. Each memory is expressed with warmth and honesty. The path she followed was not always smooth but it was always interesting. I thourally enjoyed the book and I'm sure you will as well.
Suzanne Rosenwasser
Dec 17, 2011 Suzanne Rosenwasser rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to Ms Alfaro's book because of the author's connections to Long Island and the theatre; then I read the book twice because I found so much humor and pathos within those settings. "Make Mine Cognac" is a theatre story that rivals "Noises Off" in its comic timing and powerful narration. Mirror Talk is a memoir about a life lived with wry observations and honest assessments.
Dia
Feb 15, 2012 Dia rated it really liked it
I read this book in 3 sittings which is pretty fast for me. I enjoyed it---it's a flash back of a woman as she reflects about the events in her past and how they influenced the person she became. The style of writing is superb, simple but descriptive and honest. This woman feels like many of us as we age--life went so fast, we didn't have time to become the person we dreamed of being.
Carla
Jan 24, 2013 Carla rated it it was amazing
I'm not generally a fan of memoirs, but this one reads like good fiction. The tone's original, and mixes poetry with prose, humor with sadness, all without pretension. Barbara Alfaro has the gift of making everyday life sound like a miracle.
Girl on a shelf
May 23, 2012 Girl on a shelf rated it it was amazing
A beautiful memoir that had me hooked from the first mention of Rockaway Beach. Alfaro's memories are really accessible and made me think about being a kid with a hot dog from Coney Island in my hand. I LOVED this book.
Carolyn Zeller
Jun 05, 2012 Carolyn Zeller rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about the workings of the theatre. I learned why it is so hard to become a "star" in this art. The memoir is frank and a very easy read.
Cathy
Jan 30, 2012 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
This was free for Kindle.
Vignettes about life and school. Would have been a nicer read if they had all been in chronological order.
Barb
Jun 11, 2013 Barb rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
This didn't feel like a memoir; it was a very loose and seemingly-disorganized collection of ideas and stories. It made little sense and could have used some kind of order.
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2012
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Cliff
Cliff rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2013
Danni Hable wyatt
Danni Hable wyatt rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Betty
Betty rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2013
Rebecca Zimmerman
Rebecca Zimmerman rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Diane M Fritton
Diane M Fritton rated it it was ok
Feb 21, 2016
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
Mandi Button
Mandi Button rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
  • An Angel With Fur
  • The Accidental Anarchist: From the Diaries of Jacob Marateck
  • Memoirs of a Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra
  • Run Away: One Woman's Story of Resilience
  • Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life
  • Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road
  • Bombshells
  • Carolina Sunshower
  • Backpacked: A Reluctant Trip Across Central America
  • Another Quiet American: Stories of Life in Laos
  • Happy New Life (Grandberry Falls, #2)
  • For Fukui's Sake: Two Years In Rural Japan
  • The Accidental Caregiver: How I Met, Loved, and Lost Legendary Holocaust Refugee Maria Altmann
  • Will Love For Crumbs
  • The Adventures of Bindi Girl: Diving Deep Into the Heart of India
  • Remembering Judith
  • Miles from Home: A True Story of the Choices That Define Us
  • Harriet Tubman: The Moses of Her People
Barbara Alfaro is a graduate of Goddard College and the American Academy of Dramatic Arts. She is the recipient of a Maryland State Arts Council Individual Artist Award for her play Dos Madres. Her poems are published in a paperback edition called Singing Magic and an ebook edition titled First Kiss. Barbara is also the author of a collection of humorous stories called Irresistible Impulse and ...more
More about Barbara Alfaro...