Start by marking “The Penguin Book Of Lesbian Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The Penguin Book Of Lesbian Short Stories

The Penguin Book Of Lesbian Short Stories

And more than that - sometimes women love women. Like Queen Victoria, the world has preferred to believe that sex between women is impossible, resulting in a long silence between the writings of Sappho and the flowering of talent produced by feminism and the sexual revolution. Lesbian writing has come a long way since Virginia Woolf's famous essay of 1928. Since then women ...more
Published August 25th 1994 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published November 2nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Penguin Book Of Lesbian Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Penguin Book Of Lesbian Short Stories

Timothy
Aug 27, 2008 Timothy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who are interested in lesbian fiction, not their score on the Kinsey scale
I bought this book furtively when I was 13 or 14, and hid it in a drawer in my room underneath something -- a box of stationery, I think? Its presence there, in my room, made very anxious, but also excited. Anyway, I bought it because I thought reading it would answer some of my questions, namely, Am I Really Gay or Not?

For the record, it was not helpful in this matter. I think I thought it might ring some bells, strike some chords, but it was just... confusing. There were no bells or chords. Pa
Korri
Dec 20, 2011 Korri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer, short-stories
So far I'm pleased with this anthology, not least of all because it features 'happy' stories instead of the large body of literature demonizing or diagnosing lesbians (while Faderman's anthology Chloe Plus Olivia is an important work, many of the stories it features are so damn depressing).

Finished.

Well, that was quite a range of work, including a slow, mannered tale of affection by Sarah Orne Jewett; stories about cross-dressing from several authors; a poetic, voluptuous description of sweet i
Jen Steffens
Feb 03, 2011 Jen Steffens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only read a few stories, and what I read was good. Just never got around to finishing it.
Christina Cooke
intriguing introduction, but spotty content. a few gems, a lot of duds.
Carmilla Voiez
A strange and beautiful book at times. Like a lover it develops its skill the more you indulge yourself in its pages.

I hadn't realised how much I had moved away from the old-fashioned purple prose and embraced the modernity of active words and language until I worked my way through these pages. Stories are included in a chronological order and I moved with them from estranged boredom to raw excitement.

If I read it again, and I probably will, I shall forgo the first seventy pages and begin with
Karin
May 09, 2008 Karin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Just couldn't get through this one! The stories didn't engage me. Seemed more like self-conscious, political tracts regarding sexuality. I wanted to read about PEOPLE, not the politics of the bedroom.
Goddess
Like most other folks have said, kind of hit or miss, depending on what you're looking for. My favorites tended to clump up near the end as you got post 1960s.
Claudine
Nov 30, 2011 Claudine rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, lgbtiq
A mixed bag - my reading progress was all stop-and-start.
Freyja Vanadis
There were very few stories in this book that were worthwhile; many of the stories and poems were written by historic lesbians of the early 20th century, like Radclyffe Hall.
Libay Cantor
Libay Cantor rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2007
Isla
Isla rated it liked it
May 02, 2017
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
May 13, 2007
Cory
Cory rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Minna
Minna rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Alexis
Alexis rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Emma Ward
Emma Ward rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Guaranimal
Guaranimal rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2008
Mair
Mair rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2014
Cameron
Cameron rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2016
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was ok
Mar 26, 2016
Laura G
Laura G rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Stewart
Stewart rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Fay
Fay rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Wendy Darling
Wendy Darling rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Lady Demelza
Lady Demelza rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Melody Compo
Melody Compo rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Penguin Book of Gay Short Stories
  • Chloe Plus Olivia: An Anthology of Lesbian Literature from the Seventeenth Century to the Present
  • Hannibal Lecter, My Father
  • A Woman Like That: Lesbian And Bisexual Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories
  • The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eleventh Annual Collection
  • Shudder Again: 22 Tales of Sex and Horror
  • Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present
  • Susie Sexpert's Lesbian Sex World
  • Virtual Equality: The Mainstreaming of Gay and Lesbian Liberation
  • The Better of McSweeney's, Vol. 1
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy II
  • Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction
  • Best New Horror 1 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #1)