Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing

Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Hit shows like "Who Do You Think You Are?" and "History Detectives" demonstrate that people are fascinated by family origins. Here, America's top genealogist reveals how she's made headlines solving genealogical puzzles with entertaining, revealing, and controversial candor.
Published February 1st 2012 by Citadel (first published January 31st 2012)

Julie Ivens
A really interesting read. Shows you some of the crazy/fascinating stories the author has uncovered using genealogy tricks. The author covers a very wide range of subject matter, and almost every chapter was interesting to me, though I preferred the stories involving previously unknown people as opposed to the super well knowns (the presidential chapters). I think this book would appeal to genealogy nerds such as myself as well as people who normally would not be so into genealogy-she makes it i...more
Notetaker
Fast paced real life stories of this renown Genealogist's work. Ms. Smolenyak's was kind enough to share interesting examples of her work experience with such chapter titles as Grandma Stepped Out (her own Family), the Paralyzed Prostitute to the Al Sharpton & Strom Thurmond Family connections. It is not a how-to book on Genealogy, however, with that said it gives the reader several examples why Genealogists are much more than just Family Tree makers.
MissSusie
I found this book interesting but I do want to stress this book will not tell you how to search on your own it is written by a veteran genealogist about some of the cases she has worked on. Okay now that I have that out of the way… this book was with fun all the stories and history.

I found it very interesting that the First Lady Michelle Obama’s family only took 3 generations to go from slaves to the white house I found that fascinating because I come from a family that had 5 generations living...more
Nancy Narma
“Who’s on the Branches of Your Family Tree?”

I have always had an interest in my family’s history and Ms. Smolenyak2 ( you read it correctly--Smolenyak “squared”—you’ll find out why, if you read the book) has heightened my curiosity and has taught me, among other information, that although some paths may be difficult to follow due to misspellings, name changes, misinterpretations by those who gathered information at ports of entry, etc. decades ago—it is not impossible and you don’t always run up...more
Doug Dams
This was a fun book to read. Megan Smolenyak is a genealogist who has used her genealogy skills to help a number of other people. In this book she describes many of her "history-mystery" cases she has helped solve. Besides genealogy, Megan has worked with the Army to identify the next of kin for remains found from WWI, WWII, Korean, Vietnam wars. She's also found next of kin for FBI cold cases and NCIS cold cases. The stories in each chapter are fascinating as a history lesson as well as showing...more
Lnlisa
A really interesting book to read. Megan is a genealogy detective. She has worked for Ancestry.com and more recently the TV show, Who Do You Think You Are.

In this book, she shares her adventures detecting in the field of genealogy. Each chapter covers a field or type of genealogy detecting that she does. For example, the first chapter is about her work finding the next of kin for soldiers who died in WW II, Korea, Vietnam, etc. Another chapter is about help she has been able to give to those wh...more
Robin
Jan 28, 2012 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone who is into Genealogy
Recommended to Robin by: Me, Myself and I
In her book, Hey America, Your Roots are Showing, Megan Smolenyak discusses her many genealogical adventures. She explores the variety of types of research as well as diminishing the very thing that makes one squeal with delight: the famous ancestor and/or cousin. Her thoughts on that? So what? Everyone does.

Smolenyak brings realism to genealogy. It is not as easy as it looks on Who Do You Think You Are and there are many roadblocks as well as frustration at others who make untrue and unsourced...more
Charlotte
I just finished this book and immediately searched for more books by this author. I had already read her book, Who Do You Think You Are? It was good, but I think Hey, America, Your Roots Are Showing is even better.

Having Sherlockian tendencies certainly is a boon to genealogy fans. I appreciated the detail this author gives her readers, letting us know step-by-step how she finds her answers. She also warns us not to accept too quickly what we find because it may not be accurate.

This book is ente...more
Juliana Haught
My great-aunt was a genealogist, and I've dabbled a bit in it because of her, so I was instantly intrigued to find a book that was written by a genealogist about some of her searches. I found it very interesting to read about as a series of stories, but also helpful in that I got some ideas about how to explore some things a little differently with all the recent tools available to us with the internet. More and more information gets digitized and loaded online, so searching for traces of ancest...more
Rachelle
Megan Smolenyak is not only a great genealogist, but an excellent story teller. She made national news when she located Barack Obama's Irish roots, but the media has her on speed dial for a long time when it comes to finding out genealogical background for a story. But it wasn't just the famous people she made interesting; I loved how she worked on old FBI Civil Rights murders and locating the living descendants of MIA's who's bodies were discovered in Korea, Vietnam etc. If you are a genealogis...more
Barbara
I loved this book! As a rather sedate and serious family historian, I found Megan Smolenyak's enthusiasm for solving genealogical mysteries and her boundless energy very contagious. Especially fascinating were her examples of how DNA testing can supplement research efforts made along the paper trail. This book has done much to make the genealogy of ordinary people and their places in history less stuffy and more compelling than ever. I cannot wait to tackle my own research with a renewed sense o...more
Kara
I really really enjoyed this book but minus 1 star for the following:

1) Despite her claims that she is more interested in the 'everyman,' the author devotes many chapters to tracking genealogy of well known personalities.

2) There were several cringe-worthy lines where she seemed to awkwardly toot her own horn.

3) I am insanely jealous as this is essentially my dream job.

But really it is a great book that truly shows the heart of genealogical research: the life behind the names, dates, and places....more
Beth
Since I've seen Megan speak on numerous occasions I've heard a lot of the stories she relays in this book. the great thing about that is, I can tell you she writes like she speaks, I can hear her voice in my head when I read this book. I also like how she shows how versatile and useful genealogy is in the every day world. why its useful to so many organizations, like, police, coroners, etc. as well as to people just looking for family or medical answers. Nice fairly quick read, worth your time.
Dominic Bucci
As the family genealogist, I was immediately drawn to this book. I knew Megan was the country's foremost genealogist and would give a unique look into her world of research. From the moment I picked it up, I was unable to put it down. My favorite stories were the ones about No Man Left Behind, the Paralyzed Prostitute and Grandma Stepped out. In the process of the read, I picked up some tips that I feel will help benefit my own research. I cannot wait to read more from Megan.
Rachel
I really enjoyed reading selected case-stories of Megan's in-depth genealogical research. Even though I'm a New Zealander, I felt I still got something out of reading these U.S.A.-based case-stories, even though the resources and laws surrounding access to records was a little hard to follow. It would be great to have something similar with a NZ focus... though, of course, that will probably never happen : ( Still, a fascinating book!
Colette
Jun 13, 2012 Colette rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Colette by: Mom
If you like getting cornered by that elderly genealogist who talks your ear off about all their cases, you'll love this book. Oh yeah, and the genealogist is trying to drum up more business. In parts this sounded a little like a cover letter for a resume. Some of the methodology was interesting, but I couldn't get past the Smolenyak's style, as well as her use of cliches.
Anyone who likes genealogy research will enjoy this book and I think a lot of others who enjoy history and stories of people will enjoy it too. Every chapter is a different story. It is not heavy on research methods, but rather on the interesting stories of people's lives and how Megan Smolenyak tracks them down. Who knew that genealogy could be so intersting!
Shirley Brown
I thought this was going to be a book about African American's genealogy and it was to a certain extent, but the stories were quite interesting. I think the author was self-serving, which I didn't like, because I think the work she did would have stood by itself, and she didn't need to tell how wonderful she was. Her actual work is impecable and thorough.
Carole
This was a most interesting book by one of the country's best genealogists. Each chapter stands alone as she tells about various projects she has worked on from tracing celebrities family trees to finding next of kin for unclaimed bodies. Her work has taken her all over and included many TV appearances. She is an inspiration with an impressive resume.
Hikerdee
Apr 09, 2012 Hikerdee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Hikerdee by: Legacy FamilyTree friends
Shelves: ebooks, 2012
ebook ISBN is 9780806535524
I am a hobby-ist genealogist, and I enjoyed reading the 22 case histories Megan Smolenyak tells of the ways her special skills have been used to find ancestors or descendants. She develops her stories well, and they can hold the interests for most any problem-solving person.
Triste
Megan Smolenyak is an excellent story-teller and a very good researcher. This book is a quick and lively read that really makes you understand what good genealogical research looks like. She covers a variety of subjects related to genealogy. I recommend this book highly.
John
Great stories about a career in genealogy from a woman who clearly loves what she does. I learned about areas of genealogy and history I was not familiar with plus learning things that could help me learn more about ways I can learn more about my family history
Beth
I did have the privilege of hearing Megan Smolenyak Smolrnyak speak a few years ago so some of the stories were familiar to me. But maybe she should have put in some failures since she now looks like an absolute wizard of genealogy to me!
Jenny
Finally, a book about family history that isn't a snoozer! The author's adventures in historical sleuthing actually made for GREAT reading; I devoured this lovely little book in two days of air travel. I heartily recommend it!
Maria
Easy, relatively interesting read. She gives many examples of how she uses her genealogical research - finding descendants of military dead, looking up ancestors of celebrities, helping adopted children find their birth parents.
Gary Barton
Jul 05, 2012 Gary Barton rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: all, including non-genealogists!
Shelves: genealogy, reference
"America's Genealogist" has written a delightful book of anecdotes about some of her famous and unusual research projects. This is a good read broken into bite-size free-standing chapters. I highly recommend it!
Stephanie
I liked this better than the first one I read of hers - this is more 'here's what I did to solve the mystery' instead of 'how to solve your own' which is great but not as useful since I'm not using American sources.
Lori Jones
As an genealogist and historian I found these stories amazing and inspiring. I would definately add this to the recommended list of books for any genealogist as well as anyone with a bent for history.
Christine
FANTASTIC book that takes you through just about every emotion as "history mysteries" are revealed to you through "the g-word" ;) Thank you for such a wonderful book...I'm letting my roots show!
Debye
This quite a fun book to read. Little vignettes about genealogy searches written by one the country's best-known genealogists. I thoroughly enjoyed it---but I wish it was longer!! :-)
  • Annie's Ghosts: A Journey Into a Family Secret
  • Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project
  • The Hairstons: An American Family in Black and White
  • The Fiddler on Pantico Run: An African Warrior, His White Descendants, A Search for Family
  • Crazy Aunt Purl's Home Is Where the Wine Is: Making the Most of What You've Got One Stitch (and Cocktail!) at a Time
  • Family
  • One-Woman Farm: The Seasons of Life Shared with Sheepdogs, Goats, Woodstoves, and a Feisty Fiddle
  • The Little Guide to Your Well-Read Life: How to Get More Books in Your Life and More Life from Your Books
  • Dangerous Ambition: Rebecca West and Dorothy Thompson: New Women in Search of Love and Power
  • Doctor Who: A History
  • Kitty Cornered: How Frannie and Five Other Incorrigible Cats Seized Control of Our House and Made It Their Home
  • The Nomad: The Diaries of Isabelle Eberhardt
  • Reunion: A Search for Ancestors
  • Showdown: The Inside Story of How Obama Fought Back Against Boehner, Cantor, and the Tea Party
  • Rebooting My Brain: How a Freak Aneurysm Reframed My Life
  • Gold Diggers: Striking it Rich in the Klondike
  • Takeover: The Return of the Imperial Presidency and the Subversion of American Democracy
from back of the book:
Megan Smolenyak is an incurable genealogist who loves solving mysteries, making unexpected discoveries, and pushing the boundaries of conventional genealogy. A popular writer, speaker, and TV guest, she does all she can to get the g-word out there and inspire others in their quest for roots.

She lives in southern New Jersey with her husband.
More about Megan Smolenyak...
Who Do You Think You Are?: The Essential Guide to Tracing Your Family History Trace Your Roots with DNA: Using Genetic Tests to Explore Your Family Tree In Search of Our Ancestors Honoring Our Ancestors: Inspiring Stories of the Quest for Our Roots

“History is written by the victors, which is certainly true, but it's also written by the wealthy and the literate.” 1 likes
“In a period of less than 150 years, to progress from slavery to Pennsylvania Avenue speaks volumes about this family and our nation. Distracted by the rush of our everyday life, we might shrug it off today, but 100 years from now, historians will be discussing this precedent.” 0 likes