Start by marking “The Kiss Box” as Want to Read:
The Kiss Box

The Kiss Box

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A reassuring story about separation and love

In this soothing love story between mother and child, Mama Bear offers various vessels to contain their love while they are apart--but none seem right. It's not until Little Bear suggests that they make each other a Kiss Box--filled with a hundred kisses--that they are able to stay connected--no matter where they are.

Whether it b
Published December 1st 2011 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Kiss Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kiss Box

Katie
The Kiss Box by Bonnie Verburg is an adorable story about a mama bear that has to leave her little bear for a while. Little bear says he will miss her terribly, and she tells him she will send him love and kisses every minute she is away. He wonders how he can keep the kisses she sends to him, and he comes up with an idea to make a box to keep all the love and kisses mama bear sends to him. He helps mama bear make a box, too so she can keep the love and kisses he sends to her when they are apart ...more
Ms Threlkeld
A good story for reassuring kids that their parents are always thinking of them, even when apart. I like the idea of a kiss box and can see myself creating something similar for my kids one day. I did find it a little odd that the mom tells her son she'll go away soon, but it's never clear why she's leaving. Is she going on a trip, to work, away for a long time? That part of the story was too vague for my liking.
babyhippoface
When Mama Bear has to be away for a while, Baby Bear worries about how much he will miss her. Mama assures him that her loves will always be with him, no matter where they are or what happens. She says she will leave him 100 kisses to keep him company, and every time he misses her, he will have all those 100 kisses. Baby Bear likes this idea but wonders how he can send kisses back to Mama. Then he gets a wonderful idea. He makes Mama a kiss box with his picture and a hundred kisses inside so she ...more
Barbara
Little Bear seeks reassurance from Mama Bear that she will always return to him, and that her love for him will never waver, even while they're apart. To help him deal with his anxiety, Mama Bear tells him she'll send him kisses or store them in a jar or an envelope. He, in turn, prepares a box filled with 100 of his kisses for his mother. She makes one for him as well. The author includes an explanation about how her own family used a kiss jar, making the story even more poignant. The watercolo ...more
Karen
First of all: Awwwwwwwwww. What a sweet book!

Second of all: Audrey and Don Wood were the godparents for the author's child -- how cool is that?!

And, lastly: What a beautiful idea.

Victoria Galvan
not sure why this book is flsgged for mature content
Terri Lynn
I love this sweet, comforting picture book for young children. Mama Bear has always been home with Little Bear but she has to go away on a trip and Little Bear will miss her terribly. Together they come up with a clever way to leave kisses for one another for whenever they feel lonely and miss each other. I wish this book had been around when my own were little and I am enjoying sharing it with every small child I am around. I find they all love it and so do I. Share this with a kid you love and ...more
Brooke Mullins
Little Bear finds a way to feel Mama Bears love when she is away and also send his love to her through the exchange of a kiss box.

Kindergarten can be hard for many parents and children. This book can help them adjust to being away from home during the day and can be created into the students making their own kiss boxes.

This book would make a great first day of school read aloud in Kindergarten but for all other grades I would leave it as a classroom library book.

Tatiana
Jun 29, 2011 Tatiana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tatiana by: Scholastic
A sweet and tender separation anxiety story where a mother puts her child at ease about being apart. This patient Mama answers all of her child's questions, soothing his worries away with reassurances, hugs and kisses. What parents and educators should try out with small children going to school for the first time is make a kissing box, an amazing way to keep child and parent together even when they each have to be somewhere else. Highly recommended for ages four and up.
Mary
Jul 16, 2014 Mary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: bears
GREAT illustrations!
Mary
A mother bear has to leave her little bear for a short while but he doesn't want her to go. She tells him she will make a kiss jar, kiss envelope, and kiss fingers so that her love will always come to him. He surprises her by making a kiss box for her and then they make one for him together. A cute story for one on one sharing or for older preschoolers in a storytime setting, but nothing that is that original.
Amy Burch
A very cute story. This would be a good book to have a student read if their parent is going on a long business trip or off to war. Ther mama bear and baby bear try to come up with ways to always be together, so they come up with a kiss box that contains 100 kisses. Now they can always be together wherever they are.
Monica Michaud
Baby bear is upset that his mom has to leave for a little bit. He wants to make sure she still loves him so he decides to make a kiss box. Whenever they are apart they can still have kisses from each other. They just open their boxes filled with 100 kisses. This book is very sweet and helps with separation issues.
Erica Jones
Appropriate for k-2 grade
Jenny
I wasn't sure what I thought about this book until I read it to my four-year-old. It really spoke to her! We talked about how I have to go away sometimes but I always come back, etc. She was just delighted to find herself in a story.
Stacey
Sweet story. Loved the writer's note at the end. If you have to leave your little one for an extended time, it would be nice to read the book and have a project making kiss boxes before the separation.
Linda Atkinson
Highly recommend this gem for parents looking for books that deal with separation anxiety as well as for preK story times (with a built in extension activity;). Recommended age 3+
Donalyn
When Mama Bear and Little Bear have to be apart, they each keep kisses in a special box as a reminder that they are always loved and remembered.
Jj
Sappy, yes...but do be sure to read the storyteller's note after the end of the story. I can't help but like this more after reading it.
Julee
Sweet story and good for a read aloud with Kiss box craft for Mother's Day. I loved the backstory involving author Audrey Wood. Lovely.
Hannah
SO cute! I just love the idea of a kiss box. It will help being away from my own children when I eventually decide to have some.
Michelle
A little sappy, but I think this book would be good to read to any child that has to be away from their parent.
Lori
I like The Kissing Hand better. Same kind of story. My favorite part was actually the author's note in the back.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
separation anxiety type story between a young bear and his mother...sweet...maybe a little too sweet.
Wendy Twigge
loved this children's book.. Every parent should read it to their children and more than once
Patty
This is the only sappy book I would give the green light.
Loved it.
Edward Sullivan
Simple and warm, a bit too sentimental for my taste.
Randall
I liked how little bear made a box of kisses for his mom.
Rachel
Cute pictures with a sweet but sappy story.
Jana Sulkowski
Good story for my 4 year old.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »