Start by marking “The Reunion” as Want to Read:
The Reunion

The Reunion

Innes? Innes, it's Isabella. Isabella Velasco ... Don't ask me how I got hold of you ... We live quite close, you know, would you believe? God, you sound just the same. Just the same! ... I need to talk to you ... see you. Can you call me as soon as you can?

Innes Haldane, who as a teen was deemed out of control both physically and sexually, has made every attempt to put t

Published (first published September 28th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Reunion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reunion

Jeremy Wood
Oct 29, 2007 Jeremy Wood rated it it was ok
very British. Very Dark. Very much a waste of time
Bill Kupersmith
Oct 19, 2013 Bill Kupersmith rated it it was ok
I give The Reunion three stars for being a good read, but just one star for representing reality - that averages out @ two stars. I still ponder the extent we should allow in fiction things that could never happen in real life before they become a fatal artistic flaw but here I found the police being so incompetent that the perpetrators got away with their crime impossible. There would have been a mammoth hue & cry after the victims. Their pictures would appear in every shop window & on ...more
Dana
May 19, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Reunion is a thriller about a group of adolescents who are inmates at an 'avant-garde' psychiatric facility. The teens include: Danny, a charming rapist, Carrie, a drug addicted beauty, Lydia, an obese girl with a tendency to commit arson, Alex, a foul-mouthed and aggressive bully, Simon, who has an awful mother, Isabella, seemingly normal with a completely abnormal family., and Innes, the newest member.

The story revolves around the present day and the year 1977 when these teens were in 'The
Audrey
Dec 16, 2008 Audrey rated it did not like it
This kind of hurt to read, the prose was painful to get around. I kept reading for the clunkily preshadowed pay-off and yes, it was suitably shocking, but there was much too much preshadowing and characterisation of grotty characters. ick.
Dawn McNary
May 15, 2017 Dawn McNary rated it really liked it
Magpie
Mar 02, 2017 Magpie rated it it was amazing
Sharon 2017
Rich
Nov 12, 2014 Rich rated it liked it
A confident debut which i feel could have benefited further from some editing. The revelation at the end is a long time in coming, by which point I felt we were wallowing in the characters emotions without really understanding them. They become difficult to sympathise/empathise with.

There is an overwhelming amount of guilt in this book, even characters who had nothing to do with the crime feel guilty and suffer, in a way I was glad to finish the book and leave the characters behind me.

On a plus
Jasmine
Jan 23, 2014 Jasmine rated it it was ok
The build up to the ending was far too long. I found myself mumbling something along the lines of "these kids better have done something utterly shocking and despicable if I'm going to read hundreds of pages of build up first". And they DID do something terrible, yet I feel unsatisfied with it, and the ending.
The chapters jumped from one characters thoughts to the next, but it wasn't smooth. Titled chapters with the character name would have been really helpful and made this book easier to read.
Lynai
Sep 09, 2010 Lynai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
If you have been reading my posts for quite sometime, you already know that I am a fan of mystery/suspense stories. I love the chest-thumping, heart-stopping, and hand-trembling sensation brought about by suspense stories and I love making who-done-it guesses related to solving the mystery in a particular story. My love for mystery and suspense books started when I was in high school when Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys became popular readings amongst my friends and classmates.

Continue reading.
Madge
Feb 14, 2015 Madge marked it as not-interesting-enough-to-complete  ·  review of another edition
The book started off with an interesting depth, but the prolonged suspense became rather dreary after awhile. The plot twisted so badly towards the middle, it was simply awful. I fast forwarded to what was so abominable, which confirmed my prior suspicions, and gave up on ever completing the book. The "terrible deed they committed decades ago" is something that does not need to be so graphically novelised, in my honest opinion. We read of it everyday in the papers.
Michelle
Jul 12, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
It's a little difficult, at first, to get into the narrative style of this novel, which shifts from character to character (with additional report and diary documentation interspersed throughout), but once you sink into the story it becomes really quite gripping as you wait to find out the cause of the deaths in the group of former psychiatric unit "friends", and what really happened back when they were kids.
Mary Catherine
I have to be honest and say I don't remember much from this book. I started it at the beginning of 2010, maybe even the end of 2009 and only finished it now because I'm cleaning out my bookshelves and noticed I still had a chapter or two left to read. There are some intriguing moments and it is suspenseful but there were more moments that tended to drag on a bit. I won't rate it with stars only because I don't feel I have a good sense of the plot to do so.
Scott
May 02, 2016 Scott rated it liked it
A bit slow to start with, jumping between characters telling the narrative was a bit confusing at first. Once I finally got into the story a bit more I enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing until the last few chapters. Good book overall.
Nurture Waratah
Dec 06, 2011 Nurture Waratah rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, suspense
The Reunion is unpredictable and intriguing. The plot, which jumps back and forth in time, is quite complex. The writing is gripping and easy to read, the characters engaging and realistic. This book will have you thinking long after you are finished reading.
Julieanne Thompson
Mar 10, 2013 Julieanne Thompson rated it did not like it
took too long to get to the point, the build up led to something predictable. I don't enjoy reading about child rape, sodomy and torture And I dont find it to be entertaining so it was not the right book for me.
Caroline Barr
May 15, 2012 Caroline Barr rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book guessed the ending
Kate
Jul 25, 2007 Kate rated it liked it
chilling
Peter Hunter
May 02, 2010 Peter Hunter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
Disjointed and poorly constructed thriller
Helga Baxter
Jul 15, 2011 Helga Baxter rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
It kept me interested even though I knew it was going to have a pretty disturbing ending. I was right!
BexReader
Jan 30, 2016 BexReader marked it as to-read
I'm 3/4 in and ready to DNF. I'm not at all sucked in and the loooong lead up has lost me.. But I was so intrigued in the beginning.
Jess - The Tales Compendium
Apr 25, 2011 Jess - The Tales Compendium rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult
well written but disturbing storyline
Nina
Nina rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2011
Gotomoco
Gotomoco rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2012
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
May 03, 2008
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2013
Reyhan Izzet
Reyhan Izzet rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Pippi van Merwijk
Pippi van Merwijk rated it liked it
May 03, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was ok
Apr 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Betrayal
  • Shadows on the Mirror (Sarah Fortune, #1)
  • Living Proof (Charles Resnick, #7)
  • Angels Passing (DI Joe Faraday, #3)
  • The Long Shot (Mike Cramer #2)
  • The Color of Night
  • Undone
  • Take No Farewell
  • The Dead  (The Saxon & Fitzgerald Mysteries, #1)
  • The Last Days of Newgate (A Pyke Mystery, #1)
  • The Pinocchio Syndrome
  • FINAL ARGUMENT
  • Quiet as a Nun (Jemima Shore, #1)
  • Eyeshot (Sonora Blair, #2)
  • French Kiss