Start by marking “Bindweed (Bretta Solomon, #6)” as Want to Read:
Bindweed (Bretta Solomon, #6)

Bindweed (Bretta Solomon #6)

River City, Missouri, florist Bretta Solomon is happy to spend an occasional day off with her helper, Toby, a slow-witted young man whose mother died from a terminal illness, leaving him on his own. Everyone in town, including Bretta, takes extra care to make sure Toby is doing okay.

However, today, before Bretta can relax, she must fulfill another promise: her father's new
Published November 29th 2005 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Bindweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bindweed

Denise
Aug 08, 2009 Denise rated it really liked it
Last book in the Bretta Solomon Gardening Series (as far as I can tell--this was published in 2005 and I cannot find a website or blog for Janis in order to contact her regarding her writing status). I had read this before but for some reason did not mark off my list. So I reread it. This was a good read. The murderer definitely used interesting ways to kill his victims. I really wish that Janis would continue this series. If anyone knows of a way to contact this author please let me know.
Dave
Jun 05, 2017 Dave rated it really liked it
Although the prose was somewhat flowery(get it?, get it?) it was an enjoyable mystery. Didn't know till almost the end of this whodunit.
Drebbles
Jan 25, 2010 Drebbles rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
Before she died, Agnes Sutton made arrangements with several shop owners that her slow-witted son Toby would do odd jobs for them. All of the shop owners, including flower shop owner Bretta Solomon, like Toby and are happy to oblige. Toby was liked by all, which is why it's so perplexing that someone would murder him by rigging a hornet's nest set to fall and break open when Toby opened his bedroom door. Even more perplexing, the motive seems to be that Toby discovered someone was stealing his m ...more
Shonna Froebel
Sep 30, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This mystery is part of a series featuring flower shop owner Bretta Solomon. Set in River City, Missouri this series is billed as gardening mysteries.
A young man with developmental disabilities, and who has lived on his own since his mother died is the first victim. Toby seems harmless, making spending money by working for a number of town merchants that his mother introduced him to before her death. Toby sweeps sidewalks, washes windows and does other small odd jobs. But someone considered him
April
Jun 02, 2014 April rated it it was ok
In this gardening mystery, florist Bretta Solomon tries to solve the mystery of who would want to kill the nice, somewhat retarded adult helper of her shop and those along the main street in their small town. She is also trying to deal with her father coming back into her life and wondering why he keeps pressing this new decorator on her. Although the mystery was pretty good, I doubt the ending was really guessable from the info given; also Bretta was a bit too brusque and obtuse about her fathe ...more
sylph
Aug 22, 2008 sylph rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of the Gardening Mysteries so far. I would rather give it 4.5 and the others 3.5, something like this, or give stars out of 10 than 5, but, there we are. As "cozies" I'm willing to rate them in their own place in the world, you see. They compare to themselves, not necessarily to literature at large. But this one had something more to it, some striking depth, almost from the opening page, and I had a real sense of how much more this author can do with a story if she continues ...more
Anne
Aug 25, 2010 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
It's my own fault for picking up mysteries with cover art and blurbs that let me know they are not just "cozies" but probably "sillies." I keep wanting to find another M.C. Beaton, an author that can write a light mystery well, but it's really very hard. Bindweed is Chick Lit with a mystery twist, an improbable story line and the solution is ridiculous. You might enjoy it, but don't say you haven't been warned.
Mary
Oct 31, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: lent-by-another
Although I enjoyed this last book of the series, I was rather disappointed that Bailey didn't have more input into this last murder mystery. I thought it would have concluded the series more, seeing that he and Bretta's relationship grew together in solving the murders.
Also, I wanted to read more about how the boarding house was evolving and have it completed at the end.
The book kind of left me wanting another book to follow.
Heather
Nov 13, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
This was a simple little mystery, but nice for a light read, entertaining and clean. Of course I loved the gardening and flower references.

Also written by an author in Missouri, and set in a small Missouri town, so it was easy to picture having lived in one myself. The quirks of the small town people were well described!
Stephanie
Aug 05, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Miss Marple in South Carolina! Read this because I found it in the beach house we were staying in. Simple, fast read, and enjoyable enough if you can get past the main character constantly missing clues that are as obvious as an elephant in a swimming pool. I learned a bunch about various poisonous plants though, and really icky ways to die - poison ivy bubble bath anyone? Yeeech!!!
Marian
Dec 21, 2015 Marian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this is the 6th book in the series it was my first. It was a fun little mystery I enjoyed the characters. If I happened across another one of her books, I would read it.
Most of the book I read are free from various sources.
Christine
Aug 22, 2009 Christine rated it it was ok
Everything I expect a cozy to be. I didn't know it was part of a series until later (oops) and I can't say that I would go back and read all of them but this book was perfectly fine for a lazy Saturday afternoon.
Mary
Jul 09, 2011 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, mystery
Last in the series so far.
Eamount
Aug 05, 2013 Eamount rated it it was ok
Interesting ideas but she just missed in so many ways.
Dec 26, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Relaxing read from a nice mystery series
Karen Henry
Apr 11, 2013 Karen Henry rated it it was amazing
This was REALLY good! I love gardening mysteries.
Suzanne
Jul 03, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
The mystery was pretty intriguing and engaging but I didn't really like the main character, Bretta.
Kay Maynard
Dec 26, 2012 Kay Maynard rated it really liked it
A nice quick mystery.
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2013
Cheryl A
Cheryl A rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2009
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Brenda
Brenda rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Kelly Davis
Kelly Davis rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2013
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Candace
Candace rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2009
Delores Alger
Delores Alger rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2014
Jessica Killingbeck
Jessica Killingbeck rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Barbmy
Barbmy rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

Bretta Solomon (6 books)
  • Roots of Murder (Bretta Solomon, #1)
  • Murder Sets Seed (Bretta Solomon, #2)
  • Lilies That Fester (Bretta Solomon, #3)
  • A Deadly Bouquet (Bretta Solomon, #4)
  • Reap a Wicked Harvest (Bretta Solomon, #5)