Start by marking “The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon” as Want to Read:
The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon

The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon (The Pirates! #4)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  611 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Bruised from a crushing disappointment at the Pirate of the Year Awards, the Pirate Captain decides that perhaps it's time for a career change. Before long, his loyal crew, much to their dismay, find themselves en route to St Helena - and facing the recently deposed Napoleon Bonaparte. This is the fourth Pirates! book in a successful series.
Published 2008 by Weidenfeld & Nicholson

To ask other readers questions about The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
147th out of 385 books — 543 voters
The Jupiter Chronicles by Leonardo RamirezThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonThe Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice by Paige W. PendletonAlbion Imperilled by Ruth  ThomasFiona Thorn and the Carapacem Spell by Jen Barton
Various Variety of Children's Fantasy
75th out of 132 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Lea
Another brilliant addition to Defoe's Pirates! series. There's such a temptation to start quoting some of the hysterical lines in this book, but there are just too many, and a lot of them aren't as funny out of context. Which is a shame, because I really want to share the joy that is this book!

The fun starts in the dedication -- not sure what that's all about, but it made me laugh.

You'd be missing a lot of the humour if you skipped the stuff like the Contents, Chapter Headings, or the Index --
Tfitoby
The Pirates! return in their fourth adventure, this time to a desert island to raise bees and argue with Napoleon. Only they seemed to forget to pack the humour in their suitcase for this trip.

Far from the gut busting, rib bruising hilarity of previous adventures this one barely raised a smirk, fatal to a series that relies on its humour to sustain interest through its meandering "plots" and absurd situations.

There was a four year gap between this and the fifth instalment, here's hoping Defoe re
Forrest
Beef comes from bees! That's why it's called beef!

It's not easy to keep a joke funny over the course of four books, even volumes as brief as Gideon Defoe's pocket-sized Pirates! series. But somehow, improbably, this fourth adventure of the Pirate Captain and his jolly crew is even more giggle-inducing than what came before. Not only has the plot reached new levels of absurdity - this time around the Pirate Captain makes a rash decision to give up the nautical life in favor of beekeeping - but th
Ashley
So, these books are pretty much the silliest things ever.

They’re satire, sure, but the satire is so silly, it’s lost most of its bite. And not that I’m complaining, mind you, because I laugh my ass off when I’m reading them. Every one of these books has the same basic structure: the Pirate Captain gets an idea or has a problem, the crew resists due to common sense, they run into one or two famous historical figures, have verrrry deeply silly adventures, and then everything is reset at the end.
Woodge
This is the fourth adventure featuring the Pirate Captain (he of luxuriant beard, an open face, a stentorian nose, and fickle whims) and his crew: the pirate with a scarf, the pirate in green, the pirate with a nut allergy, the pirate who likes kittens and sunsets, Jennifer, and more. In previous (mis)adventures they rubbed elbows with Charles Darwin, Captain Ahab, and communists. Here, the Pirate Captain finds himself in competition with Napoleon to become the next head of the St. Helena Reside ...more
David
I love Gideon Defoe’s pirate books. Humor is such a tricky, subjective thing. I generally don’t go for things that get too cartoonish and outré, at least when this is combined with an attempt at making me care about the characters and invest in their progress. I have a hard time caring about cartoons. Human comedy and droll narration are more my style. Until a book goes so far beyond that pale that it goes totally round the bend. Then I’m back in, all the way. That’s what the Pirate books do. Th ...more
Jenny Maloney
So far, I think this is one of my favorites in Defoe's Pirates! series. Who would've thought that the Pirate Captain's true competition was the egotistical, not-as-short-as-you-think European dictator?

I wish I had more to add, other than "Really enjoyed it!" But that's pretty much how it goes down. I liked it. The story perked up an otherwise dull afternoon, and made me want to see the movie. My only really wish is for Defoe to hurry up and write more adventures, because I finished this one* an
Mark
Aug 12, 2008 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor, epic
The gang is back as the Pirate Captain is fed up after he is passed over for Pirate of the Year award and decides to take up bee keeping on St. Helena's. There, he and Napoleon become the neighbors who try and one up each other and hilarity ensues. If you liked Gideon's others works, you'll feel the same about this. Easy light read, worth it for the laughs.
Billy Biggs
This series is a lot of fun! It's a great formula, and I'm not sick of it yet. I will still read the next book in the series. However, I was admittedly disappointed. Napoleon was pretty good, but not great. The setting got tired. Better luck next time.
Liza Gilbert
I'm putting this one down at page 68 (which is about halfway through this book). I'm not going to trash it, though.

There's a lot I like here. The size of the book, the size of the font, the short chapters, and the strange pirate humor all work. The fictitious index at the back of the book is an interesting oddity as well, and I appreciate the inside cover art.

Pirate Captain has lost a pirate of the year competition and decides to give up pirating in favor of becoming a beekeeper (that's the firs
Colin
TPIAAWN is not the best piece of literature out there. However, it is a damn entertaining one. The fourth book in Defoe’s The Pirates! series sees the Pirate Captain growing tired of his pirating ways and after losing the Pirate of the Year contest, decides to give up his life at sea and devote his life to bee keeping. The Pirate Captain and his crew then retreat to St. Helena and quickly become to most popular residents on the island until Napoleon shows, thus sparking an epic battle. An epic b ...more
Murf Reeves
A fun read I read on a Holiday vacation. Gideon Defoe's pirates are in another adventure led by the Pirate Captain. The leader of a somewhat intelligence challenged crew. With names like Pirate in Green, Pirate with a scarf, Jennifer, Gideon's dry sense of humor shines through on the various escapades, Bee collecting and finding the perfect island leading up to a meeting with recently exiled Napoleon Bonaparte. And the immediate competition between the Pirate Captain and Napoleon is quite humoro ...more
John Defrog
The fourth and (so far) final pirate book from Gideon Defoe, in which the Pirate Captain decides to retire from pirating to raise bees on the grim island of St Helena. Exiled Napoleon arrives, and they end up feuding and engaging in an epic battle for head of the St Helena Residential Association. It’s funnier than I’m making it sound, but not by much. This is easily the weakest book of the series, in part because Defoe makes the Pirate Captain’s buffoonery a little too obvious to the other char ...more
Andrea
Dot Gumbi
Like the previous adventures in Gideon Defoe’s Pirates serious, this is a very short enjoyable shot to the hippocampus. It’s playful and vocabulary building (I had previously not encountered the words gamine, or eldritch – sheltered life I lead). However, in comparison to the other books it feels fairly empty. Napoleon is played fairly straight, avoiding playing him as an outrageous Frenchman, he comes across as a mega-lo-maniac of no fixed abode (which perhaps he is, given that he is exiled at ...more
Robert
Well written entertainment for both children and adults.
Robin
The weakest of all the Pirates! books. I think it's fairly clear that Gideon Defoe has lost his enthusiasm for this project.
I mean, I'm glad I have the book, b/c it makes a nice little set with all the rest of them, but I basically finished it just to say I was done with it.

The spark and originality of the first two pirates books are just not in this one.

One of my girlfriends is stalking Gideon Defoe, and wants to inspire him to write The Pirates! In an Adventure with Roadies. Stay tuned for tha
Melissa
The highlights of this episode:

The Pirate Captain is building a bee hive: "I'm nearly done...I'm just making my bees a little library. I don't really expect them to read much - it's more of a social thing, somewhere for them to network, pick up other bees, that kind of stuff."

This one included in the back a hilarious fake index. My favorite listing: "Pikachu: pirates catch, pg.23; pirates come to love, pg.55; pirates spit-roast, pg.88."
Laura Macdonald
What happened? The earlier books in the Pirates! series were so much funnier...
Patbunn
Hilarious! I found myself laughing out loud at the nonsense on the pages.
In a bit of a change of pace, this installment of the ongoing Pirates! adventures takes place almost entirely on land. And in one location. On a small, featureless island. But it still counts as an adventure, because the title says so.
Patrick Kendall
Inside the first two chapters, I almost concluded that The Pirates! had lost their charm and run out of new jokes, but I think rather that I had just forgotten how to laugh (which happened to the Pirate Captain once in an adventure with mimes). By a quarter of the way through, Defoe recovers everything lovable and hilarious in the crew and creates a worthy new adventure that is sure to leave Napolean turning in his grave.
Keli
While I was looking through my tags I realized I have no idea how to categorize this book. It's absurdist, droll and even has some grammer humor. I really appreciate a book that can pull off grammer humor. The footnotes were informative and hilarious.

However, as much as I enjoyed this book, I'm not sure I'm going to fall all over my self for the entire Pirates! series because I'm sure it's a lot of the same.
Barbara Ell
This was an interesting take on pirates. I mean it was hilarious!! Don't read this if you are expecting Blue Beard; however, if you want to read about pirates who go for a night on the town and are caught getting out of the carriage possibly flashing because they may not be wearing underclothes. Or if you wonder what happens to a crew if the captain decides to take up beekeeping, then this story is for you!
Karin
I only had two disappointments with this book, both in the index. 1- there was no reference to ham cured with maple syrup. clearly the pirates need to go on a Canadian adventure to remedy this. and 2 - the author seems to think that girls aren't impressed by books about pirates.
Also, I wanted the chapter of letters to the editor to go on forever and it did not. So I guess there were three disappointments.
D.M.
I can't believe I forgot to review this book when I read it! I'll just say, then, that I utterly enjoyed this one, much more than their adventure with scientists. The whole beekeeping thing is comedic gold (hell, the flag alone makes this book a favourite in our house!), and Napoleon and Pirate Captain in a battle of egos is fun reading as well. If you want to read one of these books, I say start here.
Stephanie
Ah, the Pirates. This book, a follow up to The Pirates! In an Adventure with the Scientists! is about as awesome as the title implies. Which is to say, extremely awesome. But maybe I'm just saying that because I have a crush on the Pirate Captain, especially when he is trying to become a beekeeper.
Kohdy
This one was by far my favorite out of all the books. This one was funny like the others, but had a lot of heart too. Poor Captain!
Dominica
Whilst there were some parts of the book I appreciated, I found it hard to get past the historical inaccuracies. If I hadn't done so much research into piracy and these time periods, I think I might've appreciated it more for the humour it had to offer. I did like the ending though.
Emily
It had some funny moments, but it was just mediocre. My favorite part was when the pirate king paused in the middle of his speech, pulled a shark from behind his back, and punched it in half. That's pretty much the highlight of the book.
  • Uncle
  • Tank Girl: The Gifting
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Legendarium
  • Medusa Jones
  • The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation
  • Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer
  • Tales from the Clerks: The Complete Collection of Comic Stories!
  • The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard
  • All Star Western, Vol. 2: The War of Lords and Owls
  • Renfield: Slave of Dracula
  • Captain Freedom
  • Bigfoot: I Not Dead
  • Capote in Kansas
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
Gideon Defoe never meant to become an author. When Defoe bumped into a woman he had pursued during his time studying archaeology and anthropology at Oxford, they began chatting about what they were up to. Realising that his job temping for Westminster council was not going to win him any romantic points, he told her that he was writing a novel. She asked to see it, at which point he found that he ...more
More about Gideon Defoe...

The Pirates! (5 books)
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
  • The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists & The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics