Book! Book! Book!

Book! Book! Book!

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  470 ratings  ·  85 reviews
When the children go back to school, the animals on the farm are bored, so they go into the library in town trying to find something to do.
Published May 1st 2001 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2001)

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
17th out of 103 books — 111 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
171st out of 1,176 books — 860 voters

More lists with this book...

Richie Partington
2/23/2001 BOOK! BOOK! BOOK! by Deborah Bruss, Illustrated by Tiphanie Beeke, Arthur A. Levine Books May 2001

In those years when I'd do daily circle times with preschoolers and kindergarteners, I used to love to have the children act out stories from picture books they knew from repeated readings. Depending upon the age group, I'd utilize books such as CAPS FOR SALE,THE WOLF'S CHICKEN STEW, THE PEA PATCH JIG, MUSHROOM IN THE RAIN and John Burningham's RABBIT.

It took me awhile to understand why I...more
Josselyn Hernandez
This book was awesome! It's about farm animals who get left alone with nobody to play since the children who did went back to school. After hanging their head, complaining, grumbling, pouting, dozing off, and sighing, the hen finally decided she was off to town to find something to do. They head to the public library and the horse is the first to give it a shot. "Neigh! Neigh!" he says but the librarian did not understand him. So next is the cow, and she says, "Moo! Moo!" but she too was not und...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
This is a great read aloud that I used at the beginning of the year on recommendation from my predecessor. I like that the barnyard animals participate in going ot the library to get books.

I used a chicken/ hen puppet when I read this one. Great for storytime!
Jessica
In general, I try not to read reviews, professional or otherwise, before I write my goodreads reviews, just as I try to limit what I read about a book before reading it. I don't want to influence my opinion or experience with a book ahead of time. But I happened on the SLJ review of Book! Book! Book! and was surprised by how negative it was. What it came down to was that the book was predictable and reused an old joke ("Book! Book! BOOK!" as the chicken's refrain). And there's no denying it; in...more
Allie
This book is good for kindergarten. In this story the farm animals are bored and decide to wander. They find a building where people keep going and they decide to go in. The animals go into the building, which is a library and try and check out a book. When they go to check out the books the librarian doesn’t understand what they are saying because all they can say is “oink” or “moo” or “neigh”. Then the hen comes along and says Book! Book! Book! Then all the animals get what they want since the...more
Polly
I dislike a lot of "library-visit" books, but this one I quite like. It's cute, it's fun, and animal sounds are always helpful for preschoolers.
Sandi Roe
This story went over very well for library storytime! It is a fine example that size doesn't mean anything. After the kids go back to school, the animals are bored. Hen decides to go into town to find something to do. The other animals follow her to the public library. As she is about to go in, horse tells her she is too small. Horse, then cow, goat and pig all try to tell the librarian what they want, but she doesn't understand any of them. Finally, hen tells them she is going in, and she does....more
Jessica
Overall this was a good book for young children. It would allow you the opportunity to express to children how books can be fun and keep you entertained. The illustrations were bright and colorful and the use of the animal sounds throughout the book would add a silly factor that young children would enjoy. The way that animals had acted in a way similar to humans would keep the attention of young children also.
Paul  Hankins
A super story with an ending sure to satisfy the younger set.

The patience of librarians everywhere is showcased in this book about a group of farm animals with nothing to do now that the kids have gone back to school.

Except to go into town.

And when they find a place where everyone leaving has a happy face, they sense that they have found THE place.

Hen offers to go first, but the other animals decide that she is too small to accomplish the task.

Classic set up for the Book! Book! Book! punchline...more
Britt
When children go away to school one day, the animals on the farm have nothing to do! In their boredom, they decide to go to town and see if there is any fun to be had there. They see a building that smiling people are coming out of the library and they decide there must be something fun in there! After all of the animals try to talk to the librarian, only the hen is able to ask for the fun they all desire...
Filled with animal noises that kids love helping you read, the end joke mayyy be a little...more
Ina
This was my favorite book at Storytime. This illustrations are sweet and there are animals and a library...and animal sounds. What more could you ask for in a read aloud? When the kids go back to school the farm animals are sad and bored and wander off to town in search of something fun to do. They see happy people coming out of the library and so, one by one, they go in and ask the librarian for help. The problem is that she can't understand them, until finally the chicken goes in and clucks, "...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Very cute with nice watercolor illustrations.

This book has a lot of opportunities for children to play along with the different animal sounds.

Brooke
This book is better for older kids because the younger kids won't get the punchline. But it's interactive because the kids can make the animals noises.
Wooden Horse
Aug 07, 2013 Wooden Horse rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 4 - 7
I personally love this book. It is so much fun to read aloud. I have recommended it numerous times though and I don't think anyone has actually bought it based on my enthusiasm. I'm not sure why. They typically read it or at least glance at it but I always find it left behind. Maybe it is more of a "library book" to be enjoyed every so often as it doesn't quite fit the requirements for a place on the customers personal collection. I know it's on my shelf at home and there will always be at least...more
Vicki
I have used this book for years with Preschoolers and Kindergartners. Very clever story, why doesn't the librarian understand what the animals from the farm want?? Soft pastelish illustrations make it a pleasant view while reading.
Vivian
Gotta love a story that ushers children into the library realm. My daughter used to say "book!" when she meant to say "look". And that's just what books help us do -- LOOK!
The barnyard animals are bored now that summer is over and all of the children have gone back to school. What can they do to entertain themselves?

They decide to head into town and try out the library. Unfortunately, none of them can be understood by the librarian. All she can hear is "neigh" or "oink" or "moo". Is there an animal that will be able to communicate with her? (hint: check the title!)

Rough childlike watercolors match well with the text and lead us along. The pictures make the story...more
Brandi
Farm animals visit the library to find something to read in this picture book. I am disappointed I didn't like this book about libraries and reading more. The illustrations were eh.
Ariel Cummins
Once the children go back to school, and the animals on the farm are bored. They try to ask for help at the library, but all the librarian hears is their animal noises, so she goes about her librarian-business. Finally, the hen asks for a Book! Book! Book! and they get what they are looking for.

Really loose pastel illustrations give this book a fuzzy feel. It's not my all-time favorite style of drawing, but it's pretty well executed.

Lots of silly animal noises, so this would make a great read-al...more
Jo-Ann
Fiction:
Max's words (older children - Grade 1 & Up)
The Best Place to Read by Debbie Bertram (Preschool)
Book by Kristine O'connell George (Preschool - Grade 1)
Wild about books

Non-Fiction

Activity, Songs, Movements
When reading this book, each time you read the repeating line "All she heard was..."cup your ear with your hand ....wait for children to make the appropriate animal sound.
Resource Book "The SOund of Storytime" craft idea page - 182

Crafts:
When school starts again, the farm animals are bored and head to town to find something to do. They find some friendly faces at the local public library and wander in. Unfortunately, the librarian doesn't understand the horse's neighs or the goat's baaahs. But when the hen asks for a 'book,' the animals are delighted to be given three books.

A sweet and charming story featuring animals sounds and a predictable plot. Ideal for preschool and kindergarten students.
Michelle Couey
this is a bright noisy book!! My kids will love this and anything with farm animals are a hit.
Illustrations look a lot like an underwater oil painting. ALl the trouble they go through to get books, books, books and at the end, after all the trouble they went through to get their books, the frog realizes with dissapointment "I already read it"
love the animal perspective when colliding with such human traits...very good book!
Jess
Mar 12, 2009 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Librarians / story hour readers looking for K read aloud somehow invovling the library
Recommended to Jess by: Kelly
Shelves: z_09, picture-books
When the children head back to school, the farmyard animals decide to cure their boredom by heading to the library to pick up some books.

A good read aloud for kindergartners, especially if you're looking for a book that introduces libraries without being all "ohhh a library book set in a library that tell us libraries are friendly places." Plus: animal sounds and the BOOK BOOK BOOOK joke.
Sharlynne
At the first part everything with the animals was all well till the kids had to go back to school. No one could play tug of war or scratch behind their ears. They got board. So the animals found a library. The librarian could only hear the chicken. So the animals got to get 3 books and had fun till the kids came back to play.

I liked this book because the children came back to the animals.
Sarah Kasper
I really like this story. I think this book is so cute and easy for students to read. Students will also enjoy reading this story because of the animals, but I would use this story in the classroom to teach students about illiteration. The story is full of illiteration! I would have students create their own sentences/stories using illiteration after we read the story, "Book! Book! Book!"
Jane G Meyer
Too fun. A very clever picture book, filled with humor, action, animal noises and whimsy. The illustrations are playful and childish and the text is fun! A great gift for a toddler. I could easily see this book becoming a bed time favorite with little ones. Thankfully, the text isn't obnoxious and could be read over and over without too much distress on the part of the adult :)
Elaine
Mary
This is a great and silly ECE level book about farm animals who want to read! One by one, they go into the library and ask for something to do. Unfortunately, the librarian can’t understand what any of the animals say! The chicken ends up saving the day. Can you guess how?
This is a great book for dialogic reading and has a wonderful, albeit corny, joke at the end. :)
Elaine
Kindergarten read-aloud week of 10/1. Introduce what an author does and what an illustrator does; talk about "reading" pictures for clues about the story; for a page or two, read the words and let the kids guess what the picture might look like before showing them; let kids act out animal actions/sounds from the book; You Be the Illustrator coloring activity.
Samantha
The farm animals take a trip to the library, but the librarian has trouble understanding what they want because she doesn't speak horse or cow or goat or pig. Enter hen to save the day! When hen says "Book!" the librarian says "How Many?"

A fun read aloud with beautiful watercolor and acrylic illustrations. I especially love the humorous ending!
  • Lola at the Library