Start by marking “The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)

The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar #9)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In 1321, the King's favorite, Hugh Despenser, is using his position to steal land and wealth from the other lords. His rapacity has divided the nation, and civil war looms. In Tiverton, rape and murder have unsettled the town, which is preparing for the feast of St. Giles; Philip Dyne has confessed and claimed sanctuary in St. Peter's church. Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Headline Book Publishing (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Traitor of St Giles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traitor of St Giles

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettSarum by Edward RutherfurdHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanWolf Hall by Hilary MantelWhen Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman
British History from 1066
118th out of 320 books — 87 voters
Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearSilent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
341st out of 706 books — 723 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim Corbiere
Finished reading " The Traitor of St. Giles " by Michael Jecks. I swear, every book gets better and better. The characters don't get stale and each mystery still makes you stop and think. This guy seriously knows how to write a mystery.
1321 and Sir Baldwin and Simon Puttock are attending the St. Giles feast. They were invited by their lord Hugh de Courtenay but, of course, there is tragedy. A beheaded body is found in the woods. The body is known to belong to a man named Philip Dyne. His fiance
LJ
THE TRAITOR OF ST. GILES (Hist. Mys-Baldwin Furnshill/Simon Puttock-England-1321) - VG
Jecks, Michael – 9th in series”
Headline, 2000, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 0747274037

First Sentence: In the servant’s hall of her father’s house in Tiverton, Joan Carter yawned and stretched.

England is in political turmoil and on the verge of civil war. Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock have come to Tiverton Castle for the feast of St. Giles. While there, they are called to the scene of two murders.

A yo
Nancy Ellis
I always enjoy these books, and they keep getting better and better. There's a pretty big body count in this one....they're dropping like flies at the St. Giles fair! But Sir Baldwin will solve the murder of his Templar cohort, as well as the other murders, with the help of Bailiff Simon, introducing us to many entertaining and interesting characters along the way.
Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
Trying to think of a new theme and location for a story was always a challenge, but this one was a story I'd been thinking of for a long time. I wanted to write a book based on the old song "There were three ravens", and this book was the result.

A knight is found in woods, murdered, one of his hounds nearby, and a convicted felon lying near. It leaves the law officers with a riddle to answer. For it's unlikely a felon could kill a trained knight and his dog - and if he did, what happened to the
David Reynolds
Fun with lots of details about the time period. May have to read more of these.
lewis king
Michael Jecks is known for extraordinary writing. His works bring to life the end period of medieval times for those of us not fortunate to live during them. However, this book I will be rating slightly lower than normal as he forgot the cardinal rule of K.I.S.S. Too many characters dilute the plot and confuse the reader while taking this from a casual read to a plodding affair.
Mirjam
Wonderful plot with lots of twists and fabulous and likeable characters. The Traitor of St Giles is a fantastic read with lots of unexpected turns. I particularly love the loyal dogs, Uther and Aylmer. As a fan of the series I was also quite taken by the end!
Carmen
Another in the wonderful series of medieval crime. Most of these books are set in Devonshire, a place I've been, so it is cool to read names of places I can picture in my head.
Dennis
This is a much better book than the last medieval mystery I read. Much better. I don't know if I would read any more, but I did enjoy it enough to want to finish it.
Cynthiaj
I think this is one of the better ones in the series. There were a lot of possibilities, and Baldwin and Simon had to toil their way through.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #9 - The Traitor of St. Giles.
Irene B.
Just could not get into it. Bogged down. Stopped 1/3 way through. I like his other novels though.
Puzzle Doctor
Another clever medieval mystery. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Lacey
Lacey marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Bill Meehan
Bill Meehan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Ed
Ed marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
John Nooney
John Nooney marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • The Clerk's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #11)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)