Start by marking “The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)

The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar #9)

In 1321, the King's favorite, Hugh Despenser, is using his position to steal land and wealth from the other lords. His rapacity has divided the nation, and civil war looms. In Tiverton, rape and murder have unsettled the town, which is preparing for the feast of St. Giles; Philip Dyne has confessed and claimed sanctuary in St. Peter's church. Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Headline Book Publishing (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Traitor of St Giles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traitor of St Giles

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyMaisie Dobbs by Jacqueline WinspearMistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Favorite Historical Mystery Series
324th out of 785 books — 918 voters
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken FollettSarum by Edward RutherfurdHere be Dragons by Sharon Kay PenmanWolf Hall by Hilary MantelKatherine by Anya Seton
British History from 1066
157th out of 371 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Jim Corbiere
Jul 24, 2014 Jim Corbiere rated it really liked it
Finished reading " The Traitor of St. Giles " by Michael Jecks. I swear, every book gets better and better. The characters don't get stale and each mystery still makes you stop and think. This guy seriously knows how to write a mystery.
1321 and Sir Baldwin and Simon Puttock are attending the St. Giles feast. They were invited by their lord Hugh de Courtenay but, of course, there is tragedy. A beheaded body is found in the woods. The body is known to belong to a man named Philip Dyne. His fiance
LJ
THE TRAITOR OF ST. GILES (Hist. Mys-Baldwin Furnshill/Simon Puttock-England-1321) - VG
Jecks, Michael – 9th in series”
Headline, 2000, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 0747274037

First Sentence: In the servant’s hall of her father’s house in Tiverton, Joan Carter yawned and stretched.

England is in political turmoil and on the verge of civil war. Sir Baldwin Furnshill and Bailiff Simon Puttock have come to Tiverton Castle for the feast of St. Giles. While there, they are called to the scene of two murders.

A yo
Gayle Noble
I can't quite put my finger on it but something about this series is beginning to irritate me. The actual plots are still interesting and the attention to historical detail is v. good, but Simon the bailiff seems to be more a side character than a main character since the introduction of Baldwin's wife.

Other minor grumbles include (view spoiler)
Nancy Ellis
Nov 11, 2014 Nancy Ellis rated it really liked it
I always enjoy these books, and they keep getting better and better. There's a pretty big body count in this one....they're dropping like flies at the St. Giles fair! But Sir Baldwin will solve the murder of his Templar cohort, as well as the other murders, with the help of Bailiff Simon, introducing us to many entertaining and interesting characters along the way.
Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
Trying to think of a new theme and location for a story was always a challenge, but this one was a story I'd been thinking of for a long time. I wanted to write a book based on the old song "There were three ravens", and this book was the result.

A knight is found in woods, murdered, one of his hounds nearby, and a convicted felon lying near. It leaves the law officers with a riddle to answer. For it's unlikely a felon could kill a trained knight and his dog - and if he did, what happened to the
Deborah Pickstone
Slightly better than the last one but not much. Mistake to leave out Hugh.
David Reynolds
Jan 29, 2015 David Reynolds rated it liked it
Fun with lots of details about the time period. May have to read more of these.
lewis king
Jul 25, 2010 lewis king rated it liked it
Michael Jecks is known for extraordinary writing. His works bring to life the end period of medieval times for those of us not fortunate to live during them. However, this book I will be rating slightly lower than normal as he forgot the cardinal rule of K.I.S.S. Too many characters dilute the plot and confuse the reader while taking this from a casual read to a plodding affair.
Helle
Aug 29, 2016 Helle rated it really liked it
As always, Michael Jecks paid attention to his research when writing The Traitor of St. Giles. The story in itself is solid, well-paced and the characters are of a nice diversity representing of all layers of the populace. The series has its ups and downs, and this one is pretty much bang in the middle, a very good read.
Mirjam
Sep 14, 2011 Mirjam rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wonderful plot with lots of twists and fabulous and likeable characters. The Traitor of St Giles is a fantastic read with lots of unexpected turns. I particularly love the loyal dogs, Uther and Aylmer. As a fan of the series I was also quite taken by the end!
Carmen
Sep 07, 2008 Carmen rated it really liked it
Another in the wonderful series of medieval crime. Most of these books are set in Devonshire, a place I've been, so it is cool to read names of places I can picture in my head.
Lefty
Jun 04, 2012 Lefty rated it liked it
This is a much better book than the last medieval mystery I read. Much better. I don't know if I would read any more, but I did enjoy it enough to want to finish it.
Cynthiaj
Jun 28, 2011 Cynthiaj rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think this is one of the better ones in the series. There were a lot of possibilities, and Baldwin and Simon had to toil their way through.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #9 - The Traitor of St. Giles.
Irene B.
Jul 16, 2011 Irene B. rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Just could not get into it. Bogged down. Stopped 1/3 way through. I like his other novels though.
Puzzle Doctor
Jun 11, 2014 Puzzle Doctor rated it really liked it
Another clever medieval mystery. Full review at classicmystery.wordpress.com
Wazz
Apr 27, 2009 Wazz rated it really liked it
book 9
Diane Philyaw
Diane Philyaw rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2016
Midgetbee
Midgetbee marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Elizabeth Melrose
Elizabeth Melrose rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Tracey
Tracey rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2016
Marija
Marija marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
AH
AH marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Rosemary Simpson
Rosemary Simpson rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Sarah Butler
Sarah Butler marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
David Kendall
David Kendall marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
  • A Dark Night Hidden (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #6)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
  • Crowner's Quest (Crowner John Mystery #3)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • The Treason of the Ghosts (Hugh Corbett, #12)
  • The Clerk's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #11)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)