Start by marking “The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)

The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar #10)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  24 reviews
For Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King's Peace, and Bailiff Simon Puttock, the Christmas of 1321 promises to be one of great festivity. They are to receive the prestigious Gloves of Honor in a ceremony led by the specially elected Boy-Bishop of Exeter. But they soon learn that Ralph, the glovemaker, has been stabbed to death. Then Peter, a Secondary at the cathedral ...more
Published June 1st 2001 by Headline Book Publishing (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker

Hercule Poirot's Christmas by Agatha ChristieThe Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha ChristieCupcakes, Paws, and Bad Santa Claus by Pamela DuMondI Am Half-Sick of Shadows by Alan BradleyThe Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers
Christmas Mysteries
36th out of 239 books — 90 voters
The Tainted Relic by The Medieval MurderersThe Merchant's Partner by Michael JecksThe Last Templar by Michael JecksA Moorland Hanging by Michael JecksThe Abbot's Gibbet by Michael Jecks
Knights Templar Books by Michael Jecks
12th out of 34 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael Jecks
Nov 16, 2011 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
I'd had a hankering for a long time to write about a medieval Christmas, and this was the result. My longest title!
It was a period of madness and mayhem. Christmas heralded a topsy-turvey period during which the Lord of Misrule came to power. The youngest, least experienced choirboy became Bishop for the day, while the Bishop (very sensibly) tended to make sure he was away from the city.
Which is why when a noted local philanthropist was murdered and a youth poisoned in the Cathedral Close, the
Jim Corbiere
Finished reading " The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker ". Another novel in the Knights Templar series. Another great mystery to solve by paying close attention to stories from the suspects and making sense of the evidence without technology.

Christmas time in 1321 and Baldwin and Simon have been summoned to Exeter for a ceremony and to be honored. One the way in they see a criminal hanged outside the city. They wonder about. Of course they can't have a simple and easy trip anywhere. The glovemaker of the
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in January 2002.

I found this novel from Jecks' Simon Puttock series more difficult to get into than most of them; it doesn't seem to flow quite so easily. The setting is rather different, being the city of Exeter rather than the wilds of medieval Dartmoor, and this may have something to do with it.

The novel is a Christmas mystery, revolving around one of the quainter customs of the time. In what may well have been a descendant of the Roman Saturnalia festival
LJ
First Sentence: The first of the murders which so shook the Cathedral passed with little comment.

Sir Baldwin Furnshill, Keeper of the King’s Peace, and his wife Jeannie, travel to Exeter, meeting up with their friend Bailiff Simon Puttock. The two men have been summoned to receive jeweled gloves in recognition of their service.

They arrive to find Ralph, the glove maker, has been murdered and his apprentice is in jail. Neither Furnshill nor Simon believes he’s guilty. When a Secondary at the cat
John Mutchek
I always enjoy Michael Jeck's medieval mysteries, but this one was perhaps a bit confusing because of all the medieval church hierarchy that I was not familiar with. Mr. Jeck does include a good explanation in the forward. I just had a little trouble keeping it all in mind as the story progressed. Still a very enjoyable read though/
Linda Humberstone
Another good book from this author, lots of characters, numerous little plots that all add up in the end. A good relaxing read.
Judy
Kept reading long after I was lost as to who was related to whom, etc. because I loved living in the middle ages.
Linda Murray
'The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker'is an early book in a long series by Michael Jecks,and is very different to those later in the series. Set in Exeter,in the reign of Edward II,the novel deals with Christmas festivities,when a Boy-Bishop is elected to preside over festivites for a day. As is to be expected in a Jecks novel,a series of murders takes place,and of course they are solved by sir Baldwin and Baliff Puttock.
I feel the resolution of the crimes seems bizarre,and as in the other books of the s
Mary
Medieval Christmas in Exeter, a topsy-turvy time when a choir boy becomes Bishop for a day on St Stephen's Day. This Knights Templar mystery series is well researched, engaging and vibrant. Jewel-encrusted gloves are to be awarded to Sir Baldwin Furnshill as part of the festivities but shortly before he arrives the glove maker is found murdered in his shop and then a teenage Secondary succumbs to poison at a service in the cathedral. Now Sir Baldwin and Bailiff Simon Puttock again turn sleuth an ...more
David Serxner
I get Michael Jeck's books sent to me from by my family in England, as I do not know if you can get them in the States. He does his research. The books are excellent--very well written. I like a good mystery, and these most certainly are!
Fi
The best Michael Jecks book that I've read so far; fascinating to read about the way the church was run (and the power!); doubly interesting in that I know Exeter & could visualise some of the streets - even some of the buildings.
Ann
I found this in a Waterstone's bag at the back of a cupboard. Although I haven't read this kind of thing for a while I enjoyed it and best of all it had only cost 99p in Waterstone's clearance sale!
Mandy
An enjoyable page-turner. It made for an interesting read, though I did find the ending rather confusing and contrived. I shall try reading some of the other books in this series.
Carmen
another good book by michael jecks. It is through reading series of books set in another place or time that you really learn something new.
Kathy Moberg
May 16, 2007 Kathy Moberg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has read the previous books in the series
Not quite up to par with the rest of the series with a bit too much going on. Nonetheless, a good-enough mystery if you are reading the series.
Hannah
Jun 21, 2011 Hannah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: a-z
I hated this book and really struggled to make it to the end. Lack of plot, too many characters with similar names. Just not a good book.
Julie Fukuda
Somehow this book took a long time to get through. I may need something a bit more gripping that I don't keep falling asleep on.
Cece
The series continues to be strongly written, good characterizations, inventive plotting and good historic notes for clarity.
Marts  (Thinker)
Michael Jecks' historical mystery series 'Knights Templar'. This volume: Knights Templar #10 - The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker.
Jenny Pauley
Another interesting historical read. The influence of the Church at the time is really amazing.
Michele bookloverforever
murder mystery set in the reign of Edward III. interesting customs.
Rebecca Graf
Very good read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Wonderful Christmas gift.
Lane
I found this one kind of different, interesting...
Susan
Exceptionally good historic thriller/mystery
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Bill Meehan
Bill Meehan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
  • The Tavern in the Morning (Hawkenlye Mysteries, #3)
  • Fear in the Forest (Crowner John Mystery #7)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • Death of a Squire (Templar Knight Mystery #2)
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Tournament of Blood (Knights Templar, #11)
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)