Child of the Ghosts (Ghosts, #1)

Child of the Ghosts (The Ghosts #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  946 ratings  ·  120 reviews
For fans of Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Sword & Sorceress", Tamora Pierce, Robin McKinley, and Jennifer Roberson, here is a new story of a woman's fight against an ancient evil.

When her life is torn apart by sorcery and murder, young Caina Amalas joins the Ghosts, the legendary spies and assassins of the Emperor of Nighmar. She learns the secrets of disguise and stealth,...more
Published May 25th 2011 by Jonathan Moeller

To ask other readers questions about Child of the Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the Ghosts

cEe beE
Child of the Ghosts was much better than I expected for a free book! It's fortunately also the type of uncomplicated fantasy I prefer reading. The storyline is simple, and the plot follows a familiar tread. Despite that, the world building was rich, and is filled with many great characters. The main heroine, Caina Amalas is both sympathetic and strong. As a child, she was scorned and tormented by her mother, and she sought solace in books in the library with her beloved father. One day, her moth...more
Christine Myers
This book was one of the rare exceptions for me in overlooking mistakes that should have been caught by a copy editor and/or proofreader. Normally, if I see more than one or two errors in the first chapter, I stop reading. In this case, the concept and characters pulled me in enough that I finished reading and intend to read the next in the series.

I was intrigued by the concept of a young heroine transforming form innocent to deadly weapon and how that affected her.

I connected with the supporti...more
Maki
Man, was this a depressing book. I cringed a bit each time the main character was reminded that her ideal peaceful life was completely shattered. And it's mentioned every single time it can possibly be worked into a conversation. Or situation. You'd be reminded of it even when nobody was talking.

I'd say you get reminded of the tragedy that befell Caina almost as often as you do that she shouldn't fight fair, because she's a small woman.

I mean, I understand these sort of books. The story's politi...more
Kelly
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this free ebook. The storyline is very original and I liked that the heroine was so uncompromisingly determined. All the way through, you never feel like she has to rely on anyone to save her. I was also impressed by the fact that the actions in the book had real and permanent consequences - no magic wands to make everything ok.

The slight criticisms I'd make are that there are a couple of paragraphs of description that felt like they might have been...more
Sandra Glenn
It was a good and captivating book. The time passing was well done so that it didn't bore you with long details of the time that passed between years, yet still gave you relevant details. The only downside to the book is that towards the end it had me rolling my eyes a lot.

It's completely unnecessary to describe the Blood Crystal 9 times the same way in the book. I understand reiteration once or twice, but every time the particular item comes up, it's unnecessary to reiterate certain facts about...more
Mihir

Review originally over at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Child of the Ghosts is the first book of the Ghosts series by Jonathan Moeller and was a book which intrigued me based on the excerpt which I had read. I had requested a review copy from the author who gladly sent one over. The blurb doesn’t give away much about the story which is a bonus of sorts as you don’t know what to expect and then the story surprises you maximally.

The story opens up with a eight year-old Caina Amalas in he...more
Robert
First off, I have to say that I really like the characters in this book. The traumatic stuff that the main character, Caina goes through in the beginning makes her tale all that more interesting. The way the author describes these things made me feel immersed with Caina's thoughts fueling my hatred for the main villain. Her revenge was my revenge. And the people that she met along the way were interesting.

I know some characters were a little rushed, but there are more books in this series. We d...more
Eon Beaumont
This book surprised me it was pretty good. It REALLY could have used some proper editing. There were typos and technical problems on almost every page. A few times the author used the wrong names for characters. And he kept misusing besides almost every time. One person stands beside another. They never stand besides someone.
Content wise the story was pretty engaging and the characters were interesting. Some pretty standard fantasy tropes and not real deep villains but still pretty good. I want...more
Wilson E. Stevens Sr.
I downloaded this free book from a invitation in BookBub news letter I receive. I look forward to reviewing the books in the newsletter as I have found some interesting authors I would have never found other wise.
Child of the Ghosts was as good as I had hopped, and I have gone on to purchase the entire series, and currently reading the next series “Ghost in Exile”.
This is the story of Caina Amalas and her beginning from a child loved and pampered by her father, but hated and tormented by her a...more
Turtles
This was a surprisingly good freebie on Amazon. I hadn't expected such depth of character in the book, and I really enjoyed the damaged heroine (Caina) and the crafty villain. The prose of the story is unfortunately rather juvenile... and despite some vicious violence and situations, it's told in a very YA feel with simpler word usage. I also noticed some phrases and words repeated several chapters apart. The story itself is clever and I liked the time lengths that passed as Caina grew; it was w...more
Sara
I don't know if the writing actually deserves four stars but it's one of the most entertaining books I've read in a while so oh well. I liked the main character, and the supporting characters where fun. (I mean a boisterous middle-age opera singer, awesome) I didn't like that Riogan was killed off, it felt like he could have had more of a role, but overall it was a fast enjoyable read.
Kim Osborn
Jonathan modeler is now one of my favorite authors, I began with child of ghosts, blew through the series and onto soul of series. Wonderfully written books of a nice length, thank you as I've thanked other authors for taking the time to make the book long as well as riveting.

Kim osborn
Kim32e@aol.com
Robert Isaac Akin
I got to 55% before I got annoyed.

1) Entirely too many typos and general grammatical miscues.
2) Caina is the most unbelievable character in literary history. I wasn't buying a single second of it.
3) The only interesting character was the villain, and he was too busy faffing about with necromancy to be a true antagonist to the main character, save for killing her father a few chapters into the book.
4) Seriously, this is the problem with free stuff on the Kindle store. Every fool with a word proce...more
Suzan Harden
I've read a couple of Moeller's Caina stories in MZB's Sword and Sorceress anthologies and loved them. The first full-length novel doesn't disappoint!

Most other reviewers have covered the summary of events so I'll avoid the obvious. To me, the biggest plus is that Moeller makes Caina a fully-realized human being. She's damaged and has physical limitations, but she has an indomintable spirit that carries her through the worst life can throw at her. So many other fantasy heroines are helpless or e...more
Alice Sabo
Didn't get very far into it. It just didn't grab me. I felt that it was meant for a fairly young audience.
Cathy Callendar
I actually got a hold of this for NOTHING, yes Free, through amazon's kindle app. Hey who can pass up free, anyway I read this book in a day and a half. It's a fast paced read because I did NOT want to put it down!
In the beginning the Caina Amalas is a eight year old
child the book takes you on the life path journeys she takes while growing up in a world that has magic, Magi's, Mages, Empires and assassins.
The ending leads into the opening needed for the next book. I will definitely be reading...more
Peggy
So good. Yes Caina seemed a bit superheroish but I liked it.
Heather
This is a good story of good v. evil but also pretty gruesome--murder, bleeding, painful death. Ugh! Caina grows up in a privileged home with a mother who abused and openly hated her and a father who adored her and tried to protect her from 'Mommy Dearest'. Mom is involved with necromancy (not the typical mommy hobby!!). Caina kills her mother for casting a spell on their house which leaves everyone brain dead except her and mom. Caina is taken by Maglorion who is a super bad guy. He keeps Caina...more
Carla-Mari
This was my first book I read by Jonathan Moeller. It took me on a emotional roller coaster. There were times when I would cringe, other times when I would have a fit of giggles. There was never a dull moment, a real page turner.

If you are looking for adventure, heartache and mayhem look no further for the adventures of Caina will be most satisfactory. You will experience the most intense emotions. If it’s not sorrow for our young nightfighter, you will be screaming for blood.

We first meet Cai...more
Roberto Mattos
This is a very entertaining book, with a plot very well constructed and characters enjoyable. Our main character is a young lady named Caina. She lives in a world surrounded by sorcery and nobility. Her mother was denied a formal sorcerer training for lack of aptitude and she joins an alternate clan that plays with dangerous sorcery, the necromancers. She sells her daughter Caina to the most powerful of the necromancers' sorcerers, Maglarion. After a close call with death, Caina manages to escap...more
James
This was a free ebook and it definitely showed. Still, it wasn't bad enough for me to stop reading it. Overall, it had most of the right things in place, but aside from a skeleton of a plot and stereotypical characters, there was nothing unique about this story.

There were two things that bothered me repeatedly and which significantly detracted from the quality of the story. First, the author near the beginning of the novel tells you what the villain's goal was, but then constantly throughout the...more
Paul Negoescu
The book was good but to be honest it falls a bit short of bigger players in the genre.

I found most of the ideas entertaining, the setting fun and the pace good enough. The setting wants to be grand and impressive but it's not epic by any means. It does leave a lot of room for future expansion though.

What was a bit distracting to me was that many of the chapters ended in a "too much information" sentence, a sentence that does not add anything but is kind of like a fade-to-action-music in the mov...more
Angie
I love when I pick up a book at complete random and get an amazing read out of it. From the very beginning I was drawn into Caina and her life that I found myself constantly checking to see how far I was into the book and frowning when it was coming to the end.

Caina herself was a great character to follow. She was strong, but at the same time had enough emotion to not make her into something so cold that you didn't care about her. After everything she goes through you can't help but root for her...more
Paul Nelson
Downloaded this book free, mainly due to the cover and the promise of violence aplenty.
What you get is a relatively fast paced read, decent characters and the story is ok to. We follow Caina from an early age as her family life is destroyed by an evil necromancer with plans of immortality, Caina is rescued by the ghosts, the emperors spies and assassins. Taken in she is trained in everything from combat to disguise for many years until finally initiated as a fully fledged ghost.
Ending in a final...more
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
The story of this book relates to the main character, Caina, and her life - what it was like in early childhood, the betrayal that happens, her strength of character and how it matures and is helped along by the Ghosts.

On the whole, I enjoyed this book. It was detailed enough that you could understand how decisions had been made and what roughly was going to happen. The decision for Caina to join the Ghosts in based on one simple fact, she can no longer have children. Some reviewers have found i...more
Chris Hayes
An excellent high fantasy book.

The story follows that of a girl, beloved by her father for her scholarly ways, observant mind, and quick wit, and hated by her mother for her lack of magical ability. Orphaned early on in the story, we see the main character grow from a defenseless child to a highly trained defender of the commoner.

The author manages to create a fanciful world, while focusing on advancing the story from point to point, all leading up to a classic battle of good vs evil atop a ru...more
Krissy
Especially given that this is a free book, I found it very well written, to the point where I was internally cringing in empathy every time the book mentioned what Maglarion was doing with his big knife to Caina. Maglarion was an exceptional enemy, although I suppose I did figure out early on that Caina might be able to undo the blood crystal. Other than that, though, there aren't many predictable details and it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.
Jennifer Erwin
I don't even remember when I downloaded this but it was a freebie. So when I transferred all of my unread books from my old kindle to my new kindle fire, the cover of this jumped out at me. I decided to read this and I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed this story. Caina (our main female lead) has her family destroyed in front of her thanks to her power crazy mother and basically sold to a very evil man. Jonathan Moeller (the author) did a fantastic job painting this story for me. I could see what h...more
Jean Brandenburg
This is a fantasy storey of Caina, a noble girl whose hateful mother sells her to the powerful 400 year old magi who kills Caina's father, her escape from him and her journey to becoming a spy/assassin. I liked it! My only complaint is that in my e-edition there were lots of words left out. Mostly little words, such as of or the and words that are similar to what should be there. It needs to be proof read by a human, not a computer. Otherwise, good story!
Beth Erwin
Child of the Ghosts was better than many free books. Although not complicated in its plot, there were enough details and twists to keep my interest. The main character and her back story create an appeal, and the sympathetic desire to root for her until the end. The 'sidekicks' are detailed, the villain heinous, and the ending didn't leave me hanging. I look forward to the next in the series.
child the ghost what makes u really like it 3 12 Aug 25, 2013 11:53AM
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
  • Draykon (Draykon, #1)
  • Chosen (Guardians of the Word, #1)
  • The Circle of Sorcerers (Mages of Bloodmyr, #1)
  • The Deliverer (The Marenon Chronicles #1)
  • Children of Another God
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Magic of Thieves (Legends of Dimmingwood, #1)
  • Awaken (Fated Saga, #1)
  • The Sable City (Norothian Cycle, #1)
  • Amulet (DragonBlade #1)
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • City of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #1)
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadowborn (Light & Shadow, #1)
  • Sora's Quest (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Faerie (Caledonia Fae, #1)
  • The Book of Deacon (The Book of Deacon, #1)
Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1) Ghost in the Flames (Ghosts, #2) Ghost in the Storm (Ghosts, #4) Ghost in the Blood (Ghosts, #3) Soul of Serpents (Demonsouled, #3)

“Only fools fight fairly. All men have their strengths and their weaknesses. You must pit your strengths against your enemies' weaknesses, always.” 0 likes
“Most people think the Ghosts are only a legend. But they're very real. They are the Emperor's spies, his eyes and ears. And occasionally his assassins.” 0 likes