The Bachelor's Bargain

The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  622 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Best-selling author Catherine Palmer brings readers another stand-alone Regency-period romance in the vein of Jane Austen. When Ruel Chouteau returns home after his supposed death, he shocks everyone. They are even more surprised when he mock-proposes to a common housemaid as proof that no woman in her right mind would marry him. Anne Webster is no ordinary woman, and when...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published September 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Bachelor's Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bachelor's Bargain

Ashley
Now, I've never been a big Regency fan *ducks for cover* so, when I read the first book in the Miss.Pickworth series, The Affectionate Adversary, I was less then thrilled. But, I still wanted to read the other two books in the series , just to see how the story played out. And whoa baby, was I surprised at how much I LOVED reading The Bachelor's Bargain. We first meet Anne webster in The Affectionate Adversary, as the lowly handmaid, whose minister father, is imprisoned and needs her help. Where...more
Iola
Started badly with a spelling mistake/typo on page 5 (the 'tony Belgravia district'??), the marriage of convenience that was never properly legalised (marriage without banns or marriage license was deemed an 'irregular marriage', and was only legal in Scotland or Fleet Prison), and a Christian heroine marrying an unbeliever - this book runs the risk of being memorable for all the wrong reasons.

The story was very formula Regency Romance - naive virgin meets wearied rake, they agree to a marriage...more
Kristy
This is one of my new favorites. There were so many elements to this book, attempted murder, scandal, war, adventure and my favorite... love. I did not realize this was book number 2 in the Miss Pickworth series. I hate reading series books out of order. I really wish they would number the books on the covers!! Although if this book was numbered, I probably would not have bought it because the store I bought it at was closing and they didn't have the first book available, I went back and checked...more
Sara ♥
This book was WAY better than the first book in the series!

Anne Webster needs some way to help her family out... Her father was a minister, but he got thrown in jail due to his affiliation with some anti-industrializationists. Yeah, I'm sure that's a word. Anyway, so she's this AWESOME lace maker, and she's crafted a beautiful piece of lace and tries to sell it to Sir Alexander (Ruel Chouteau, Marquess of Blackthorne's younger brother)... Except wow, that doesn't go very well and Ruel comes in,...more
Kathy
This was a little unexpected, it turned out to be a little more historical fiction than regency romance, although it did have enough romance to keep me happy. I liked Anne & Ruel’s characters a lot, they have good chemistry and I loved the passages between them, especially early on in their marriage. It was fun to watch their relationship grow and although they had their ups and downs, it only made them stronger. Overall, I enjoyed the story, but at times felt a little bogged down by history...more
Elise Wilson
Well, this is my first time reading a Catherine Palmer book and I chose it because of the positive reviews written I had seen. However, I tend to be in agreement with the "average" rated reviewers. Personally, I just could not buy into the supposed developing love relationship between hero and heroine. Interestingly enough, I sort of liked both characters Ruel and Anne, and their individual stories, but just didn't see the chemistry between them. And at times I found Anne to be a bit self-center...more
Gloria
A very engrossing read. As Anna and Ruel grow closer in their marriage, the danger grows closer. At one point, each person believes the other killed at Waterloo. This book introduces Miss Prudence Watson and her affection for Mr. Walker, an American Indian. (view spoiler)...more
Mandy
This book was absolutely amazing. At points the story is touching and will put you in tears and at others you are screaming at the characters. This story is wonderful! Two stubborn people can not resist the temptation to fall deeply in love with each other but they both cover it up like a charade pretending their "Marriage" is fake. Can they overcome their deep passionate feelings for one another or will they part their separate ways?
Yuliya Kononova
As I was reading this novel, it felt like the author simply added bible verses and mentioned God a few times so it could be called a "christian" romance novel. After I finished the story, it felt like such a waste... just pointless shallow romance that was supposed to be "Christian". There are novels I read before that left me feeling so inspired and amazed and really gave me something to think about! Not this book.
Larik
This beat all!!! From the battle between classes and the battle inside their home to the real battlefield. Their tag of words and love/hate relationship her wish for annulment and his desire to never let her go bring them both to the altar of our Almighty God that heals hearts, does justice and brings ultimate happy ending.. Perfect blend-- my favorite of all Palmer's books. :)
Erin(and Hannah)
A thought I'd give another "christian" author a try that was recommended to me. I thought it was quite contrived, predictable and fairly lame. While the author had some good lines written for her heroine, I couldn't get over the "hero" in the book being a loser. Not one of the better authors out there. Not even worthy of my suggesting it for a "brain candy" read.
Britney
3.5 but 4 stars because it was so clean...no racy love scenes, no language at all...which is rare. I felt like the beginning was a little slow, not too bad, the mid to the end it became "couldnt put it down"...it was frustrating to read at parts because you just want them to move past the "bargain" stages but its really a good book. i read it in two days.
Elisa
Some parts were hard to follow, but I wasn't sure if that was just because I was so eager to keep finding out what was going to happen. I really like how well-researched the history seemed to be. The storyline was questionable at times, but overall, I was really engaged the whole time and enjoyed the story and its characters.
Melissa
So overall I liked this book. I found it kind of hard to believe that a Marquess would marry his housemaid when he didn't know her but for a couple of days. So what they ended up having a happily ever after. A little far fetched for me. But I guess most romances are. I liked it because it was a clean romance.
Intriguing just because I am always curious how the guy and girl get together. Completely impractical, unbelievable, and sensational how it happens though. And the conversion of the guy is so not present. It just happens at the end. Like, literally, he shows up one day and believes in God. Did not care for the plot.
Cary
This is one of those books that won a Christy Award. The Christian authors thingy. Anyhoo no sex except kissing and hand holding but the story engaged me and I have checked out another one by the same author to see if it was a fluke!
Brenda
This was so much better than the prior book in the series. Christian lit with not as much preaching. The characters were fun and likable and actually grew and evolved so much in the story. Fun marriage of convenience book with a HEA :)
Alyssa
A housemaid agrees to a fake marriage to save her family. Fun read, but not sophisticated or well-developed. Some parts had great promise, but I felt that it is so pale in comparison to an author like Georgette Heyer.
Elizabeth
I really like this book! It's actually probably not that well written (I read awhile ago at the same time I was reading a bunch of other books so I can't remember all the details like that) She is so sneaky!
Etinosa Omoigiade
What a wonderful book! I enjoyed it tremendously. If you fancy a book that will take you back to England in the 19th century with a love story and some suspense, this is the right one for you. Enjoy!
Kristen
This book was a pretty predictable. I had a hard time getting through it because it was pretty boring at times. It did get better the last few chapters but nothing worth recommending.
Kendra
I liked the story but I think she had a pretty bad ending. It was like she just gave up and wanted to just finish the book. The rest of the book was pretty good.
Holly Renee
Catherine Palmer does a great job with a story that will engage you in romantic tension from the very first page. These characters will catpure your imagination.
Highland-dreamer
I enjoyed this book, but I thought the end could've been better. Maybe even an epilogue! It just wrapped up and ended far too quickly.
Kemily
One of my personal favorite books! Thoroughly enjoyed this lovely tale of strength, history, and romance!
Stephanie
it's okay, but once again, don't buy the book. If you can't borrow it from someone, just skip it.
Scribs
A bit too cheesy for me and the drama was WAY too contrived. Inconsistent with the characters.
Ann
hard to put this one down...I like all her books. Clean and fun and fast paced.
Nichole
I was hooked from the beginning and couldn't put it down!
Ruth
I am interested in the history of lace-making now!
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • Riona (Fires of Gleannmara #2)
  • The Red Siren (Charles Towne Belles, #1)
  • All the Tea in China
  • Loving Libby
  • A Passion Redeemed (Daughters of Boston, #2)
  • Montana Rose (Montana Marriages, #1)
  • The Bride Bargain (Prairie Promises, #1)
  • Remembered (Fountain Creek Chronicles, #3)
  • A Bride for a Bit
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • Leather and Lace (Texas Legacy #1)
  • A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1)
  • Cassidy (Big Sky Dreams, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • Written on Silk (The Silk House, #2)
  • The Carousel Painter

Catherine Palmer lives in Atlanta with her husband, Tim, where they serve as missionaries in a refugee community. They have two grown sons. Cathy is a graduate of Southwest Baptist University and holds a master's degree in English from Baylor University. Her first book was published in 1988. Since then she has...more
More about Catherine Palmer...
Prairie Rose (A Town Called Hope, #1) A Kiss of Adventure (Treasures of the Heart #1) Finders Keepers The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1) Prairie Fire (A Town Called Hope, #2)