Start by marking “Cinderella” as Want to Read:
Cinderella

Cinderella

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  29 reviews
There is perhaps no better loved, no more universal story than "Cinderella." Almost every country in the world has a version of it, but the favorite of story-tellers is the French version by Charles Perrault.
Paperback
Published October 22nd 1993 by Puffin (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cinderella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cinderella

Anabel
After researching many different versions of Cinderella, I have to admit that my favorite book was precisely this one. Retold by Amy Ehrlich in 1985, the story’s plot is almost identical to that of Perrault’s, with the exception that Cinderella is first introduced as “sweet, gentle, and good as gold”, whereas in Perrault’s version, she is simply described as “beautiful and sweet”. The illustrations in Ehrlich’s version of Cinderella demonstrates more depth and seems to include images drawn usin ...more
Lucila Perez
I believe that the story is pretty in many ways . The pictures really tell the story and give it variety. It takes longer to take in the pictures than to read the print on the opposing page. Jeffers' delicate inkstrokes lend a light and airy quality to the story. I would have liked the author to develop all of the characters more. There is little of typical caring for the animals in this story. I missed that because it emphasized Cinderellas isolation from other people, and showed her coping wit ...more
Elizabeth
The pictures were beautiful! I spent quite a while pouring over them, figuring out how the illustrator did them and how I might be able to draw like that... I think incredible patience would be required! :)
Mahsa
when i was a child this book was my faveret stori book
Samantha
The pictures in this book are great!
NS Kelley
This is a very traditional version of Cinderella. It is a story about a girl who goes from rags to riches. She is treated unfairly by others but gets a once in lifetime chance to attend the Princes ball. At the ball shes falls in love with the prince but must leave in a hurry. When leaving she leaves behind her shoe. The prince searches for her with the glass slipper.

This book has beautiful illustrations with a lot of detail. The vocabulary is challenging and therefore I would use this book with
Mary Ann
This is my favorite version of the classic fairy tale, with beautiful illustrations by Susan Jeffers. Her Cinderella is gentle without being overly sweet, more relatable than other versions. The detailed costumes and scenery are absorbing, satisfying children’s yearning for the life of a princess. Warm, soft tones invite readers in again and again.
(NS)Jennifer Reiner
This version of Cinderella tells the usual tale of the story. A man's wife dies and he marries another woman who makes Cinderella's life miserable. She has two evil step sisters who do everything to make her life awful. One day an invitation for a ball arrives, and Cinderella's fairy godmother gets her ready for the big night. When the clock strikes midnight Cinderella loses her glass slipper. The Prince finds Cinderella and they marry. The art work in the story is just beautiful as well as the ...more
(NS) Becca
This was a beautiful tale of Cinderella written primarily for older children. The vocabulary is a little challenging, but is rich with detail. The pictures even seemed to match an older population because they were done in pen and ink and didn't seem to jump off of the pages. I do think that the pictures were able to portray a beautiful fairy-tale like atmosphere for some of the scenes, but still not quite as exciting as some of the other books children might read.

This story was slightly differ
(NS) Laura Jackson
This is one of the most well known versions of Cinderella. This is a story of a young girl that goes from rags to riches through the help of her fairy godmother. Cinderella helps her evil stepsisters get ready for the ball. Once the stepsisters and stepmother are off to the ball, she is greeted by a fairy godmother. The fairy godmother helps Cinderella so that she can attend the ball in a beautiful gown. Everyone thinks she is beautiful, including the prince. Once she realizes she is running lat ...more
Cindi

This version of Cinderella is true to Perrault's, but is retold by Amy Ehrlich, with illustrations by Susan Jeffers. The illustrations could be described as dream-like. The colors used are soft and have a magical quality to them. Sometimes the entire page is covered with Cinderella and her fairy godmother as the mice are turned into beautiful white horses, other times it seems as if the pictures are dancing around the text. One could look for quite some time at the illustrations and play I-Spy w
Michael Fitzgerald
Very colorful. Some wonderful pictures, especially the two-page spreads. Some others are not so spectacular, particularly in the faces.
Jessica
It's beautifully illustrated and I love the adaption of the story. It may be one of my favorite renditions thus far.
Chris
Great telling of the classic Cinderella story. LOVED the illustrations.
Jamie
Different than the Disney Cinderella that most kids are familiar with. Read it to Kindergarten classes to kick off my comparing Cinderella stories, but this was a little long for them, not enough pictures to break up long pages of words.
Anna
In my Cinderella collection for my classroom, this was the book I chose for the classic telling of the tale. It is a must for children's bookshelves, as the illustrations by Susan Jeffers are just gorgeous.

Top marks from the young grandsons today!
Jodi Welsh
Rather ordinary, no surprises. The author changed up a few things but not enough to engage me. I read it a second time to my 3rd grade class and it didn't move most of them either. The illustrations were beautifully done by Susan Jeffers.
Laurie
I love this fairy tale above all fairy tales, but what I love most about this book is the illustrations. If I ever become a children's book illustrator, I would want my books to look like this. Simply breathtaking!
Beth
Cinderella forgives her step-sisters and they marry lords of the court that day.
The illustration of the carriage through the forest of white flowers is a favorite of readers/listeners.
NS-Christine Johnson
Another classic Cinderella story by Charles Perrault. The illustrations are very detailed and done in a traditional style. The students will enjoy the large size of the book.
Purplemarya
واااای!من دیووانه ی اون لباس رو جاد سیندرلا بودم.با اون نقاشی سانسور شده.یادمه رمان خواهرم که رفت یه جلد نو شو خرید دیگه روسری سرش نبود!ه
Kim
Mediocre retelling of Cinderella with mostly lovely illustrations.

themes: Cinderella, fairy god-mothers, family, folktales
Bethany
Cinderella was to clean and happy looking in this story, but it was the story of cinderella none the less.
Mary
A retelling of Cinderella, seemingly very close to the original. Simple but beautiful pictures.
Stephanie
My favorite thing about this book is the cover. It's incredible, I just love it.
Andrea
I learned that you can fall in love if you are kind and sweethearted.
Nbkyouth
JUV 398.20944 JEF
Standard version of tale.
Dayanara
Aug 14, 2013 Dayanara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love this story its my favorite in all
roshanak
ba mashugheye khod be khaneye khoshbakhty resid
  • Smoky Mountain Rose: An Appalachian Cinderella
  • Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China
  • The Princess Who Had No Kingdom
  • The Glass Slipper
  • The Golden Sandal: A Middle Eastern Cinderella Story
Amy Ehrlich is the author of more than thirty books for young readers and is also a winner of The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award for her novel Joyride, which was also chosen Booklist Choice Best Book of the Decade. She lives on a farm in Northern Vermont with her husband and a great many domestic and agricultural animals.
More about Amy Ehrlich...
The Random House Book of Fairy Tales Joyride When I Was Your Age, Volume One: Original Stories About Growing Up Where It Stops, Nobody Knows Baby Dragon