Start by marking “Second Chance at the Sugar Shack (Sugar Shack, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Chance at the Sugar Shack (Sugar Shack, #1)

Second Chance at the Sugar Shack (Sugar Shack #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Kate Silver’s back in town, and her dead motherjust won’t leave her alone.

Kate usually spends her days dressing Hollywood A-listers, but after her estranged mother dies she finds herself elbow-deep in flour in her parents’ bakery . . . in Deer Lick, Montana. She thought she’d left small-town life far, far behind, but it seems there are a few loose ends.

The boy she once lov...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Avon Impulse (first published July 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Second Chance at the Sugar Shack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chance at the Sugar Shack

Susan
What a fun book. I wasn't really sure about it at first, but I'd heard good things about it, so I stuck it out. I'm so glad I did. At first, Kate seemed like the typical selfish, self-centered Hollywood resident. She couldn't wait to leave Deer Lick. She ended up staying to help her dad run the bakery. She also ended up getting reacquainted with her first love, the sexy deputy Matt Ryan. She had left him behind when she fled Deer Lick ten years earlier. She also got the shock of her life while d...more
Sandy M
My luck with debut authors seems to be turning lately. This is the second book in a week by a first-time-published author that has charmed me and given me a good time while reading. And who doesn’t love a story that revolves around pies, cakes, and all other kinds of sweet stuff? You’re definitely in for a treat with this one.

Always being the polar opposite of her mother in temperament and creativity, Kate disappeared from home in Deer Lick, Montana, right after high school. She’d received a sch...more
Natālija
Pure comfort read! If you are looking for a small town romance, this book is a must read.
I am amazed how good this book is, especially for a debut novel. I expect great things from Candis Terry & I really hope that she will continue to please her readers with original heart-warming love stories.
A Tasty Read Book Reviews
**Review Taken from Atastyread.blogspot.com

This debut novel by Candis Terry was a recommendation by Rachel Gibson on Facebook. And because I am such a Rachel Gibson fan, I knew she wouldn't steer me wrong. Boy was she right on with this book. Second Chance at the Sugar Shack was a great start to what will be a fun series.

Katie Silverthorne, known to her Hollywood people as Kate Silver, left Deer Lick ten years ago and never looked back until the phone call that changed her life. Kate heads back...more
Scooper Speaks
Favorite Lines: “It’s good to see you again, Matt,” she said barely above a husky whisper.

Ten years melted away as he looked down at her, remembering the last time he’d held her. She’d been naked and warm in his arms and sweet as his Uncle Bob’s huckleberry wine. But those days were gone for good and she’d broken too many hearts along the way.

“Wish I could say the same.” (p. 23 & 24 egalley)

Second Chance at the Sugar Shack by Candis Terry is a contemporary romance about returning home and le...more
Marg
There's only one reaction when you suddenly realise that you actually only have one day before e-galley expires, you haven't even transferred it onto your e-reader yet and it can't be downloaded again! Panic!! Or maybe there is really a second reaction - decide that you are going to start reading it at 10pm on a Sunday night and you will just push hard to finish it the next day and hope that you get it finished before zero hour.

Fortunately for me, this is the kind of book that you can start at 1...more
Jess
To start, there is nothing wrong with this book. It is a perfectly fine contemporary romance. It just happened to contain a number of things I personally dislike. For example:

(view spoiler)...more
HR readsNstuff
This book showed promise in the beginning. I was intrigued that for once the heroine left the hero behind while she pursued her dreams. Unfortunately this book did not live up to its promise.

Kate and matt's relationship just kept circling itself. I get that matt was the wronged party but he constantly came off looking like a jerk and it felt like kate was the one doing all the work to make their relationship happen. It was like watching Natalie portman acting her arse off trying to get some chem...more
Angela
Absolutely loved this book!
Holly
Another sweet contemporary romance. Matt and Kate were high school sweethearts. Matt thought they were headed for 2.5 kids and a white picket fence, so when Kate took off for the big city without a word to him he was devastated. Now she's back in town and he's determined to stay far away. Unfortunately the chemistry between them is just as strong as ever, so that's easier said than done.

Kate only ever wanted to find herself. After years of hard work she finally has the career she's always dream...more
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Kate Silverthorne, a successful celebrity stylist in LA, has returned home to attend her mothers funeral. It has been ten years since she has been in Deer Lick, Montana after a fight with her mother caused her to leave without a word to anyone. Despite her reluctance, Kate stays in Deer Lick to help her father with the family owned bakery and with a nudge or two from her mother's ghost, discovers that what she left behind could be what she has been looking for all along.

Second Chance at the Suga...more
Viohlet
Shelley
This review was first posted at http://www.shelleymunro.com/blog

Kate couldn’t wait to leave Deer Lick. She wanted to follow her dream of working as a fashion stylist. Her mother is outspoken in her disapproval of Kate’s plans, and when Kate leaves town, this leads to a rift between mother and daughter that is never mended. As the story starts, Kate learns her mother has died and she has to return home for the first time since her hurried departure many years ago. We also learn that she’s at the...more
Gloria Antypowich
A witty, sexy small town romance:

Candis Terry has created wonderful, believable characters in this story set in Deer Lick Montana, a small town in rural America.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book--a wonderful story of a spunky heroine, a hunky hero, abandoned love and second chances.

Kate Silverthorne had left home 10 years ago, without tellinganyone she was going. She left to follow her dream of making her mark in high fashion; a dream her mother did not approve of and never accepted, even as Kate b...more
Tracy Smith
Love and forgiveness abounds in the Second Chance at the Sugar Shack!

From the glitz and glam of a Hollywood red carpet, to the home-town, family-owned bakery, the Sugar Shack, Kate Silverthorne is faced with learning what is really most inportant in a person's life. She has come home after 10 years of being estranged from her family because of the loss of her dear mother, but with a little spiritual guidance and alot of passion from her first love, figures out where her priorities in her heart...more
Judith
4.5 out of 5. A delightful, winsome, carefully constructed study in the persons, values, and habits, friendships, and family ties that bind the citizens of Deer Lick, Montana and the experience of one woman who thought she had escaped Small Town,USA, only to return for her mother's funeral. Boy is she surprised when Mom makes a series of appearances in the back seat of the old Buick and begins to counsel with her daughter about all the crisis points in their relationship, comment on her present...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
originally posted at http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

She’d just go back for her mother’s funeral and then return to her fashion job. After all, she had no need to stay there and no time to do so.

Ms. Terry makes her main female character, Katie, a strong young woman who will do whatever she needs to succeed in the fashion world. Her mother didn’t think it was possible, so Katie left town ten years ago and never went back. The author adds her mother as a ghost, which is very interesting w...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Chelcie
Forced myself to finish this one. Kate left her small town when she was young to follow her dreams and her Mom, siblings, and ex-boyfriend basically treat her like a pariah for doing so. After returning for her mom's funeral she starts seeing the ghost of her Mom as well as dating the ex-boyfriend and they still act like she was completely wrong for leaving town.

And while the author did a good job of Kate's struggles with realizing her dreams changing from what she wanted 10 years ago and now ha...more
Tanya Breakiron
Second Chance at the Sugar Shack is about Kate who comes back home to her hometown, a place that she's not really been back in around ten years except maybe the occassional holiday. While she is back home she ends up helping her father run the family bakery. At the same time, trying to keep her job of styling celebreties back home intact. Which is precisely the reason why she'd left home in the first place because one of her dreams when she was a teenager was of designing and styling for the ric...more
Linda Dunn chilson
SECOND CHANCES ARE GOOD

Angry words are hard to be forgiven or forgotten, sometimes they make you do things that you may regret later. This book gives some good examples of this and how hard it is to go back. I have yet to be disappointed with anything Candis Terry written and this is no exception.
Racheal
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I have to ask myself a very important question........WHY have I waited so long to read something by her?? I think she writes amazing stories!! I absolutely LOVED this first story in the Sugar Shack series.

more of a detailed review to be posted soon
Tin
I almost did not finish this book after Kate's ghost mom made an appearance, but decided to continue reading instead. And i'm glad i did, coz not only did i enjoy this book, i fell in love with the Silverthornes Deer Lick, Montana.

I'm not really a fan of reading books about ghosts or zombies or werewolves or vampires or anything supernatural and paranormal, i was almost put off by Momma Silverthorne's ghost character. I realized later on, that though she's a ghost she's not a primary character w...more
Nova
Ide, alur, setting dan karakter cerita mirip mirip dengan buku-bukunya Kristan Higgins dan Rachel Gibson.

Kait Nolan
Funny and sweet. Not quite the depth of character development of her Sweet series (which came later, so more experienced writer by that point), but still very enjoyable. Can't wait to check out the other two!
Suzanne
3 1/2 stars! Not as good as her Sweet series but it was a fun read!
Cyndi Delia
This was a fast engaging read. The town is charming and characters are also likeable. This is a book that uses misconceptions/misunderstandings as plot points which at first sort of annoyed me but I was happily surprised and thought the outcomes were really well written. I laughed and admit to some teary eyes while reading this book. It also made me take a long look at my relationship with my mom. I can't wait to read the other books in this series.
Peni
Very enjoyable. I liked the little twist with Mom it added that little something to make this an exceptional story. Who wouldn't like to clear up misunderstandings in such a way. I have read a lot of stories where one person leaves a significant other and moves on only to come back and have to face the consequences of their actions. This one however, stands out. I recommend this story.
Margaret
Great book! Reading the 2nd book in the series now.
Deborah
Romance novels are not usually my thing, I have to be honest, but this was a great read. Genuine characters, very funny writing and a story that just keeps you turning the pages. The writing style is light and refreshing - I really liked the book, and definitely want to read the rest of the series.
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • All About Seduction
  • In Seconds (Bulletproof, #2)
  • A Midsummer Night's Sin (Blackthorn Brothers #2)
  • Down to Earth
  • Holiday Hideout
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • When the Duke Was Wicked (Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James, #1)
  • Jinxed!
  • A Vampire's Salvation (Vampire, #4)
  • Fast & Loose (Kentucky Derby, #1)
  • A Vampire for Christmas (Includes: Sweetblood, #2.5)
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • Cold Iron (Cold Iron, #1)
  • Molly's Millions
  • Deep in the Heart
  • Holiday Kisses: This Time Next Year\A Rare Gift\It's Not Christmas Without You\Mistletoe and Margaritas (Holloway, #1; Kent Brothers, #2)
  • Royal Weddings
Anything but Sweet (Sweet, Texas, #1) Sweetest Mistake (Sweet, Texas, #2) Any Given Christmas (Sugar Shack, #2) Somebody Like You (Sugar Shack, #3) Something Sweeter (Sweet, Texas, #3)