Start by marking “The Wild Swans” as Want to Read:
The Wild Swans

The Wild Swans

Eleven brothers, turned into wild swans by an evil stepmother, are saved by the sacrifices of their beautiful sister, Elise.
Published January 1st 1976 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Swans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Swans

Emily
Jun 11, 2007 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
The story is Hans Christian Anderson, the pictures are Susan Jeffers, and both are beautiful. It's a very haunting story and it was one of my favorites when I was little.
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 10/4/11 -

Julia kept putting off reading this so I started to think maybe she'd glanced through it and wasn't interested. I don't make her read anything if she doesn't want to so I thought I'd give it a read if all else failed and note that she didn't want to read it.
Well, it turned out she was "saving it for the end because it looks great". *smile* I love this kid.
I haven't read the original telling of this story so I can't compare but Julia and I both really liked this vers
The Library Lady
Feb 10, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like all of the books that have been retold by Amy Ehrlich and illustrated by Susan Jeffers, this is beautiful in both words and pictures. This faithful retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale is not a little kids book any more than they would the original REAL "Little Mermaid". But older children and adults will find it wonderful.
Jazzmyne
Apr 25, 2016 Jazzmyne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-books
The Wild Swans is a story about a jealous stepmother who tried to make Elisa ugly but failed so she turned her into a swan. Her father throws her out, and the brothers discover that Elisa was turned into a swan. I would use this book to teach inner beauty.
Cana
Sep 03, 2009 Cana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mommy says: Kept both kids rapt for the whole book. However, typical Hans Christian Anderson (this is s aretelling of his original); there is some violence.
Taryn Dean
Aunt cast a spell on the princess but her brothers still protect her.. Students will tell about a time they helped someone after someone was being mean to them.
Danielle Anderson
I love fairy tales and this one has beautiful illustrations which enhance the story wonderfully! Reading it to my children and of course for myself!
Megan
death by burning might have been a bit much for my kids (age 4 AND 5) but they liked it =)
Nikki Ritchie
Story about a princess who is turned ugly by her evil aunt. Her 11 brothers, who turn into swans at night, help her get her beauty back.
Sharon
Sharon rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2017
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Eman
Eman rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
S
S rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
BryAnna Moore
BryAnna Moore rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2015
Johanna-Nanook
Johanna-Nanook rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2012
Fiona Endsley
Fiona Endsley rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2009
Stevie
Stevie rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2013
Liviu
Liviu rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Lynna
Lynna rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2011
AlterEgo
AlterEgo rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2015
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Sivasvati
Sivasvati rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2014
Alana
Alana rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Niña
Niña rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2007
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
Katelyn Patterson
Katelyn Patterson rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Sara Rieger
Sara Rieger rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2015
Amy Ehrlich is the author of more than thirty books for young readers and is also a winner of The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award for her novel Joyride, which was also chosen Booklist Choice Best Book of the Decade. She lives on a farm in Northern Vermont with her husband and a great many domestic and agricultural animals.
More about Amy Ehrlich...