Start by marking “Just Go To Bed” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Just Go To Bed

Mercer Mayer

Just Go To Bed (Little Critter)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,401 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
A small animal uses his imagination to avoid going to bed, but finally has to admit that he is sleepy.
Published 2007 by Scholastic (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Just Go To Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Go To Bed

Miranda Potratz
I read the book “Just Go to Bed” to my cousin. Overall, she liked the book. I had a good reason to read this book to her. My cousin always finds excuses at night to stall her bedtime. She wondered why I chose such a childish book. My mom read this book to me when I was younger. The child in the book is a little critter and he pretends to be different people, to delay going to sleep. My cousin thought it was funny, because the father played along, until the point where the dad got upset.

The book
Brittney
Oct 01, 2015 Brittney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Mercer Mayer takes us on an imaginative journey as Little Critter prepares for a good night's rest. Bed time is one of the hardest times for kids, and this book offers an opportunity for young readers to relate. From make believe of being a cowboy lassoing up cows to becoming a sea monster attacking a ship (during bath time), this little guy uses imaginative optimism all throughout. Dad is ever so patient and guides Little Critter through each step of "preparing for bed." By the last page of the ...more
Jennifer Boyce
Oh Mercer Mayer, your "Little Critter" books made my childhood so much more enjoyable.
Quanita
Mar 13, 2013 Quanita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just Go to Bed (little critter) by Mercer Mayer is in the genre of fantasy. It is recommended for kids aged 4-8 years old. The book is about a little who doesn't want to go to bed when his father tells him to. He wants to round up cows and stop the enemy tank in war. The books shows him outside his house playing and in his room. The whole time, his dad keeps saying "come take a bath." And "time for bed." The little critter eventually is tired and gives in to going to bed. I love this book and it ...more
Grace Bradley
Apr 26, 2014 Grace Bradley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Litter Critter wants to play and do all sorts of thing just to prevent having to go to bed. He pretends he is a cowboy, a space cadet, and many other fun imaginary characters, until his dad tells him its time for bed. All through out the book, little critter is not paying very close attention to what his dad is saying and keeps on playing. Little Critter does not want to go to bed. After he puts on his bunny rabbit footie pajamas, he claims bunnies do not sleep in beds, trying to make up as many ...more
Emily Teeter
Oct 22, 2014 Emily Teeter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: virtual
This picture book begins with a young boy who is asked to come inside after pretending to be a cowboy. Throughout the book, he also pretends to be characters such as a general, space cadet, sea monster and other creatures. As the child is pretending to do all of these things, his father is gradually taking him through the process of getting ready for bed. The young boy takes a bath, gets a snack and puts on his pajamas all while pretending to be a different character. The theme of this book is a ...more
Becca S
Oct 29, 2007 Becca S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
another Little Critters favorite. I have pondered a small tattoo of the critter on the cover ..just the way he is in those pajamas. I'm pretty sure I had similar pj's once when I was little. LOVE these books.
Robert Beveridge
Mercer Mayer, Just Go to Bed (Golden Press, 1983)

Is there anything tougher than getting toddlers to go to bed? Mayer addresses the topic in one of his innumerable Little Critter books, and of the ones we've read it's my favorite. Pretty good mojo with the Bean, too. Dad is trying to get Critter through the various steps involved in the process, which involves a lot of cleverness and more than a little negotiation. Everything turns out all right in the end, of course, though anyone who actually h
C.M. Truxler
Apr 21, 2012 C.M. Truxler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
One of Mercer Mayer's many wonderful Critter books, this book is not just entertaining for the children. It is a book that the children will love having read to them, and one to which both child and parent alike can relate. Like any child his age, Critter does not want to go to bed.

As any parent can attest, this is not a situation for the faint-hearted. Any child can find numerous and fascinating ways to entertain themselves at bedtime to distract their parents from the task at hand, and buy so
Katharine
"Just go to Bed" is a book about exactly what the title says. A little critter wants to continue playing and using his imagination to create different personas all while the dad is continuing to try to get him ready for bed. The critter starts off as a cowboy, then it's time for a bath and he "turns" into a general, then a space cadet, and a few others after that. But, each time he changes his persona, his dad is giving him the next step that's needed for him to get ready to go to bed. Finally, ...more
Jordan Gissing
One of the classic Little Critter picture books tells a simple story of something that we all struggle to do when we are younger, getting ready for bed. Our preschool hero resisting his fathers efforts to get him ready for bed. By the end of the book Little Critter’s understanding father finally successes in moving his energetic, imaginative son into pajama time, bath time and softly to sleep. After reading this book with ones students, you could ask them to make a chart of a week’s routine and ...more
Rachel
Mar 06, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Little Critter books are some of my favorite stories to read to my children. There are so many titles to choose from, but when my kids had a hard time going to bed, we read "Just Go to Bed" by Mercer Mayer. A fun spin on parents being parents and children being children.

Pick up any Little Critter book for a child who needs to identify with a character or certain action. There are plenty of titles!
Sarah Adamson
A fun nighttime adventure book for the Little Critter. Always a difficult topic for me since we struggle with bedtime and books like this give my daughter ideas on how to stay up later! Fun and cleverly laid out with a lot of thought and good family interactions - the dad joins in on the fun whilst getting the jobs done until he has had enough and says it's bedtime.
Bernadette Green
Cute read. This little critter keeps resisting his fathers instructions on getting ready for bed. His imagination is running full force and he wants to get out all of his fun ideas...therefore, too busy to go to bed. LOL!! Once dad is able to get the little critter to lay and be still... the little critter was no match as slumber won in the end.
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
Genre: PB4

I have to say that I LOVED this book! It is such a cute story on a little critter trying to delay bedtime that I know every parent and child can relate to this story! I found the writing to be very cute and perfectly paced for the audience to enjoy. The phrases and words in the story are perfect for a read aloud book and I have to say it is easy to get into the dad's character while reading when telling little critter to "go to bed"!! The pictures are fantastic in this story and can be
Rosa Cline
Mar 28, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, bedtime
Little Critter books are always so special, my 3 year old granddaughter and I love them! In this one Little Critter's parents are trying to get him to go to bed, and as normal little kid will do everything and anything to get out of going...but he soon finds himself in bed all comfy. As my grandbaby said "Night Night"
Kaylie Henley
A book about a boy that just does not want to go to bed. He just wants to keep playing and imagining , trying to prolong having to get ready and go to bed. It really is a cute book for when kids really aren'r listening and know that they must do what their parents says.
Page Parker
Sep 22, 2014 Page Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Little Critter books are really fun to read. They are great concept books to use In A pre- school or kindergarten classroom. This one was really good one about listening to our parents, and respecting their wishes, even if it's not something we really want to do.
Allison Hepfer
Apr 26, 2015 Allison Hepfer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book every night to my daughter when she was about three years old. I can still remember it word for word. I don't really know why she loved it so, maybe she could just relate to the character :)
Taylor Milano
It is a cute little book about what one parent has to deal with just to get their child to go to bed. I like how the kid thinks he is all different things before he finally agrees to go to bed.
Madison
Little Critter uses his imagination to stall going to bed. I love that his Dad plays along, but don't understand the cookies before bed. My son loves this book. The illustrations are do much fun.
Brianna Jones
Genre: Fictional Picture book

Reading Level: Emergent to Early: ages 4-6

Topics and Themes: In this story, the little boy tries to get out of going to bed. It is a cute bedtime book.

Curricular Use: Independent reading

Social: This book deals with a child trying to avoid going to bed. It shows many ways that a child will try to disobey thier parents and try to get what they want.

Literary Element: This book uses personification. The critters in this book are given human characteristics to make them
Alyn
May 20, 2014 Alyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this was a fun read. It makes me think of my children on the nights that they don't want to go to sleep. My son loved this book, especially the last few pages.
Amanda Grooms
May 30, 2015 Amanda Grooms rated it it was amazing
Currently my babe's favorite book. This definitely brought back to me why I enjoyed Mercer Mayer Little Critter books so much as a child. Love the imagination!
Erin (Paperbackstash) *Proud Book Hoarder*
Really cute children's book, I used to read this all the time when growing up. The illustrations were perfect for the story and age group.
Lexi
May 08, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mercer-mayer
A story about getting ready for bed, and Little Critter is trying to fight it. This is one of my favorite Little Critter stories.
Brittiny
Jul 15, 2015 Brittiny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is in my own category. It is about the need to go to bed, but the want to not leave the party. I liked this book because it is the dilemma that every kid has. I remember not wanting to go to bed at bed time. If I was to teach this book, I would want to look at the pictures. They were super cute and created a emotion inside of me every time I flipped the page.
Sofi La
Sep 24, 2014 Sofi La rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just go to bed is my favorite storie because it is very funny and i love it and is awesome for children
Annalee
Feb 25, 2013 Annalee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
while our fourth child was recovering from a car accident traumatic brain injury, a sweet friend gave this along with some other Mercer Mayer books. We fell instantly in love with these books. They kept his attention and he loved to be read to in the same book over and over. At times I wondered if I was reading about my own little monster. He would giggle with delight and this book was always the last of the five he chose to have read to him for quiet time or bedtime stories. . .such fond memori ...more
Trish
May 12, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: je, 2015
This is a cute book about going to bed. I know I've told my kids to just go to bed many of times.
  • The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners
  • Just a Bully
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3)
  • Clifford The Small Red Puppy
  • Curious George Visits the Library
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
I began illustrating books in 1966. Since that time I have published over 300 books. Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid. Now I'm a big kid and I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children. They always remind me of what it was like.

I was born in Arkansas in 1943. Boy, that was a long time ago! It's real fun to be an old kid. Then m
More about Mercer Mayer...

Little Critter (1 - 10 of 171 books)
  • Just for You (Little Critter)
  • Just Me and My Dad (Little Critter)
  • The New Baby (Little Critter)
  • All by Myself
  • I Was So Mad
  • Just Grandma and Me
  • Just Grandpa and Me (Little Critter)
  • Me Too! (Little Critter)
  • Merry Christmas, Mom and Dad