Start by marking “Crackhead” as Want to Read:
Crackhead

Crackhead

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,723 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Lisa Lennox's debut novel transports us to the heart of the crack era - The South Bronx, New York, 1989.
In the late `80s and early `90s, the crack epidemic swept through inner city communities like the plague. Mothers abandoned their children and took to the street for a hit. Fathers sold everything they owned to get a taste. The crackhead was rampant. Some neighborhoods
Published April 1st 2005 by Triple Crown Publications

To ask other readers questions about Crackhead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crackhead

Thais
Apr 05, 2013 Thais rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good but the girls in this was ruthless they turned there so called friend Lacey out by giving her crack rolled up with weed. This is a girl who's never did either. Just put it like this she was out doing some wicked stuff. This is a must read book and there's Crackhead two (she get's Revenge)Pay Back is a mother right.
JazzyRacquel
Dec 29, 2011 JazzyRacquel rated it it was amazing
I Absolutely Loved This Story !

Can't Wait To Read Part 2 !

This Is Exactly Why I Don't Trust Bitches !
Eva Leger
Apr 10, 2010 Eva Leger rated it liked it
Recommends it for: urban fiction readers
Recommended to Eva by: myself
I don't know where to start. Honestly. There were so many mistakes in Crack Head and I don't really see why. Vickie Stringer, along with another person (that's two pairs of eyes people - FOUR eyes altogether looking for mistakes!) edited this. Stringer is an author in her own right (she also wrote a book on how to "succeed in the publishing game - how can someone take that seriously seeing how she "edited" this?) I can't understand why people don't care about the quality of a product with their ...more
Midley
Feb 19, 2008 Midley rated it liked it
Recommended to Midley by: book club
This book is about a rich girl named Laci who is trying to fit in with a group of girls called “The South Bronx Bitches” who likes to go after men and money. She starts to change and try to impress them, but it only makes the girls angrier. Then they make her doing one deadly thing, crack. Laci starts wanting to do more crack, she knows she needs help, but she don’t know who to turn to, until she meets a boy named Dink who falls for her and will do anything to help her. I enjoyed reading this ...more
Shamone Sharif
Oct 09, 2015 Shamone Sharif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book a few months ago. I thought it was very good. I also thought it was fucked up how females can be so jealous of someone caused of their upbringings and to go as far to getting them hooked on crack to make themselves feel better. Glad she recovered and got her self straight thanks to Dink the "boyfriend" of one of the girls who was this ringleader in this whole mess. Definitely a must read. I was pissed lol but far from disappointed.
Dee Cherry
Oct 09, 2015 Dee Cherry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fiction
I thought the book Crackhead was a great, thought provoking story that followed Laci's introduction to crack. I'm glad she found out about her grimey crew before it was too late. It was also good to see she had positive people in her corner to help her along the way. This was a well written, realistic story that could happen to anyone. Definitely a must read that I highly recommend to all.
Sheryl Boyce
Apr 05, 2013 Sheryl Boyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! It is amazing what people will do to you when they are jealous of your life. A person is just evil when they think about turning a person into an addict to get back at them. Drugs are not to be played with.
Cache
Dec 09, 2008 Cache added it
What an amazing life lesson book! I recommand this book to all young giirls dealing with peer preeasure and who is basically trying to fit in a crowd. This book teaches the reader that everyone is really not your friend and that you can over come anything .
Shanae
This urban novella is too real for me. I was frightened the entire time LOL...silly as it seems, Lennox's portrayal of street life is deep and about as realistic as I've ever read - either she's a damn good author or I have one hell of an imagination.
Ezraela-Bat
Aug 14, 2009 Ezraela-Bat rated it it was amazing
Now this book had an ending that I love, it's a must read, jealousy is a powerful tool, I'm now waiting for crack Head part 2 to arrive so I can dive on in..
Margaret Marshall
Lessons to be learned

A book for young people to read and learn from. What ever is given , can be taken away at any given.
Marshae
Dec 19, 2010 Marshae rated it it was amazing
THE CRACKHEAD SERIES IS THE GREATEST PAYBACK ON A FRIEND!! A GOOD SERIES!!
Syeda
Nov 06, 2016 Syeda rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books. I always recommend this book to read.
LALOVELYTEE
Feb 19, 2008 LALOVELYTEE rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like drama
Recommended to LALOVELYTEE by: my friends...lolz
Crackhead is another book based on the late 80's where the crack epidemic was a big deal. Unfortunetly Laci a mixed girl growing up in a rich town in New York seemed to be involved with the wrong crowd. She had a beautiful home and a mother who cared. Laci was the quiet girl. No one ever thought that she would get herself caught up with the wrong people.

Four girls who grew up on the rough side of New York with barely anything hated Laci for who she was and what she was going to become. Laci had
Black Carrie
Nov 07, 2014 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite era is the 80's and 90's this book gave me the Paid In Full type of vibe. Lisa Lennox's debut definitely is a page-turner. The characters were well developed and the author painted a vivid picture of the horrors of addiction. I was impressed with how the novel showed that the drug epidemic is not just an inner city situation and how addiction is very much a psychological as well as a physiological disease. Although the story line and character developments were excellent, the overall ...more
Alicia
For 200+ pages, I banged this one out in a few hours. Not much to think about and certainly just urban erotica/street lit. There's enough sex to keep it in the realm of public library versus school library but at least I know what the girls are passing around and reading.

I was a bit surprised that this plot was more substantive and a few of the characters, while not fully developed are at least relatable. The girls ganging up on Laci is par for the course but slipping her crack instead of weed
Ian
Jan 08, 2015 Ian rated it did not like it
OK Ive added her. Yea im working every day now, pretty much for the first time in 4 years! Its weird, i miss taking days out, but i had a tax bill last year for £6,500. I had to pay it on one go... that hurt... So i need to make some regular money. Although im fulltime im still home some days by 4 then try to go for a park run. Hard to keep up though, im sure the nutribullet is giving me more energy. A Bird has crapped all over my letter 'I' :( Best delete your comments once read coz if you ...more
MIZZ.GRINGA
THIS BOOK IS ABOUT A CRACK HEAD NAME LUCI SHE WAZNT A CRACK HEAD UNTIL SHE GOT IN A GROUP CALL S.B.B.THE GIRLZ KNEW SHE WAZ RICH SO THEY ASKED HER IF SHE WANTED TO COME IN THE GROUP SO SHE DID.ONE DAY THEY TOLD TO SOMKE WITH THEM SHE DINT WONT TO SO THEY TOLD HER THAT WEED WASNT A DRUG.SO THE NEXT DAY SHE ASK SHE THEY HAD WEED N THEY SAID YEA BT IT WASNT WEED THEY PUT IN THE BLUNT THEY BUT CRACK IN IT WITH THE WEED N SHE JUST GOT TO IT N HER BODY GOT TO IT SO SHE COULDNT STOP HER SLEF FROM ...more
Kellee
Nov 03, 2011 Kellee rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-favorite
This was a very intriguing book. It was fast-paced and a definite page-turner. The only issue I had with the book other than the multiple errors was how one day Laci was this sweet, nice girl and literally the next chapter, she all of a sudden had a smart mouth, sex appeal and stood up for herself. This book is a must-read.
justablondemoment
Enjoyed this book. It only fell short of a 5 star due to a few editing issues and it had a rather rushed feel to it. It would have made a much better book had it been slowed down, fleshed out. A few more chapters and a little more meat on its bones would have made it a meal instead of a snack. But, it is what it is and its got my attention so I will continue on.
Jazminn
It's a good book, but it made me really uncomfortable. I rated it low due to the lack of smoothness. It was me getting upset a lot at the characters.

A girl gets in with the wrong crowd, gets addicted to crack, then has somebody (the last person you'd expect) help her out.

I due want to read part two, just to see what happens next.
Sharinna
Oct 17, 2009 Sharinna rated it really liked it
The title of this book is very disturbing.I would guess that someone was being stupid and was tryin new things like we all do.But this book shows that you have to look out for people that are really your friends.This book shows the betrayed that a girl received and what happen to her future.Story has drama,fights,bad friends and sex.
Sha
Sep 01, 2015 Sha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone born after 1989
a lot of this book was pretty predictable and it was good. she shed light on the mixed breeds such as the main character. she shed light on a lot of thinga in the world as well. everybody aint your friend. she showed her getting back mentally stronger and defeating everyone who had defeated her. they all were jealous of her including the cutie that was crushing on her.
Charmain
Sep 25, 2011 Charmain rated it it was amazing
Whats funny Believe or not I was on drugs and I could relate to Lacey's every move!!!! I have been clean and sober for almost two years now and have no thought about turning back to that lifestyle! Its not easy espically doing the familar for so long , all you have to be is tired and youll will give it up!
Olivia Lagrandeur
this book surely teaches you the reality of trusting girls so quickly, never change who you are for nobody because you could get handed the wrong hand of cards..all in all I woukld recommend this book for anyone that wants to see the ugly side of drugs. it can change you for the worst.
Really Rashida
I didn't want to give this book a chance after the first few chapters because I hated Laci's character. But I am glad I finished this book. It was a good story and told a tale that many young people today can learn from. Not sure if there is a part two but I am definitely gonna find out.
Kizzy Patrick
Apr 05, 2013 Kizzy Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just started reading this book. And i must say its good so far. I just got part one and part two yesterday in the mail. And I cant put it down. I have been waiteing to get this book for about two weeks. Amazing!!!1
Pamela
Sep 03, 2010 Pamela rated it liked it
Oh...it was okay...Lennox didn't dwell on Lacy's life as a crackhead as much as I expected, but it was alright for what it was...
Olivia Lagrandeur
Oct 28, 2015 Olivia Lagrandeur rated it it was amazing
It's shows you the truth on the crack epidemic thru the 1980's. I truly loved this book and I could not put this down.
Kamille
Jul 08, 2014 Kamille rated it it was amazing
This story broke my heart. Every young girl who's trying to fit in (trying to be down) should read read this cautionary tale!!!
well their be a part three 5 11 Oct 20, 2015 12:53AM
  • Mina's Joint
  • Black & Ugly
  • Sheisty (Sheisty series, #1)
  • Hoodwinked
  • Riding Dirty on I-95
  • Married to the Game
  • The Millionaire Mistress
  • Trife Life To Lavish Part 2 Genesis & Genevieve... Am I My Brother's Keeper
  • Diary of a Street Diva (Dirty Money, #1)
  • Death Before Dishonor