Start by marking “Is This A House For Hermit Crab?” as Want to Read:
Is This A House For Hermit Crab?

Is This A House For Hermit Crab?

When Hermit Crab outgrows his old house, he ventures out to find a new one.
Published October 7th 1999 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published March 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Is This A House For Hermit Crab?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is This A House For Hermit Crab?

Cindy
Sep 06, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book so adorable lol.
Jen
Mar 13, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pb, storytime
repetitive scritch-scratch that kids can participate with. kinda long.
Cortney Perkins
This story follows a hermit crab who has outgrew his shell. He searches the beach looking for a new shell. Before he finds the perfect new home he comes across many different objects. It is a repetitive story and would be a great read for younger children. Hermit crab has to find a place that fits him and his needs. I really enjoyed this book and would like to have it in my classroom library.
Kenzie
Feb 16, 2016 Kenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
I enjoyed reading this cute story about a hermit crab trying to find a new shell to live in. It had all the elements of an intriguing story: a likeable, innocent character, a challenge, a conflict, and then a resolution. The book also had a nice repeating sentence structure that gave it a nice flow. The use of onomotopoeia was nice as well.
Janet
When this was published it was considered nonfiction, but there is only slight information here about the hermit crab which seems to only center on the crab finding a new shell. Certainly there are other details to learn.
Julie Graham 47150
Shells are one of the habitats the first graders in my class study. We read fictional stories about hermit crabs and non-fiction books about many kinds of animals that live in shells. Along with "Moving Day" by Robert Kaplan and "A House For Hermit Crab" by Eric Carle, I read this book. My students love the predictability of the hermit crab's sounds. It also opens up the discussion to talk about why animals need certain characteristics in their homes.
Elizabeth
Jan 27, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jp-2014, jp-st-beach
Fun art, good story. Beach ST?
Sabrina Henry
This is a very popular children's book. It is about a hermit crab getting too big, hence outgrowing his shell. He searches for a new home but is met with some challenges. I often see a copy of it in many preschool classrooms and other classrooms for young children. It has attractive illustrations. The repetition can be used to enagage children and build their comprehension skills.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade: 1 Fiction Topic: Hermit crabs

In these book it helps to show different types of homes. Use to explain the types of homes that a hermit crab may live in.

Possibly have a hermit crab in my class.

Have students draw their house. Have them also write about the type of house is right for us.
Cat
Sep 12, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story always gets little ones attention during story times! They love guessing what will be a home for hermit crab. I usually pair up the story with lots of seashells, sand buckets and other beachy things.
Paula
When Hermit Crab outgrows his old house, he ventures out to find a new one.
Cute story and great for participation of the kids using sand paper (Julie M) for every time the crab walks through the sand and the sound is scritch-scratch
David
Feb 09, 2009 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like the pictures in this book. I look forward to reading more by the same author.

Whoo-Oo Is It?
Olson Family Matters
Feb 19, 2012 Olson Family Matters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-k-reads
Fun repetitive pattern in the text - Madelyn enjoyed reading and joining in: "Is THIS a house for hermit crab?? Noooo."
Bree
Mar 11, 2015 Bree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Notes:
cute but not realistic -- a crab would never try these things on
repetitive text was not very engaging
Shannon
Mar 23, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's also fun to listen to it on "Reading Rainbow."
Theresa
Aug 11, 2012 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
a good story for teaching environmental change
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Rikki
Rikki rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
Linda Siple
Linda Siple marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Jeannie Buchanan Breit
Jeannie Buchanan Breit marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Irene
Irene marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
C.
C. added it
Jun 20, 2016
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 10, 2016
Emily Murphy
Emily Murphy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Mary Ellen
Mary Ellen rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
May 30, 2016
Darla Deibler
Darla Deibler marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...