Palaces & Calluses (Cotswold Chronicles #1)

Palaces & Calluses (Cotswold Chronicles #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A romp through English society, with an American twist. A fast paced Cotswold Novel. Intrigue, class wars, romance, blackmail, and a Border Collie in peril.

Mary has the perfect life ... or does she? When she faces herself for the first time, the choices begin. Can she ever return to her old life? Jackie's flat is an abomination, and the budget won't stretch to ant killer,...more
Published (first published April 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Palaces & Calluses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palaces & Calluses

Thetaodaddy
I couldn't get into this. I tried, but I found the main character of Mary to be unsympathetic and the secondary character Jackie arrived far too late in the book. The details and descriptions were fantastic; I could visualize the surroundings quite well, but they seemed to bog down the storytelling. Despite having all my senses engaged in most scenes, I just didn't really care about anyone in the book. I ended up skimming from about 41-53% (Kindle edition, so I had no page numbers) and then just...more
Samhy
This was a nice read but as a stand alone the story kind of fell short. For example, the character of Jackie in its own is almost nonexistent. She's mostly here to provide some ground to Mary.
I bet she'll become more of a real character in the second installment, but if the reader stops with the first book something is missing. I really prefer when a book makes complete sense by itself, because I don't want to feel like I have to read the next book to fully enjoy the current one.

Other than that,...more
Sarah-Jane
Packed full of delicious jokes, this sweet story about a woman finally trying to grow up at the age of 27 is carefully observed, rich in detail, and often laugh-out-loud funny. You don't have to be sorry for the privileged Mary, whose life has crashed all the way down to her designer shoes, but it's breezy fun to join her as she attempts to navigate the path of the real world and figure out who she really is. It's also fun to get to know the Cotswolds (far too rare as a setting for a book) throu...more
S.B.
It is amazing what you see from an author in their work. Rebecca's personality, charm and wit is on full display as she delivers strong (yet flawed) characters in settings we can all relate to and get absorbed in.

I find it difficult to pinpoint a genre for this novel because it is a coming of age for a woman pushing 30 but it also has a good helping of romantic tension with a dash of comedy. I can tell you this, if 'novels I really enjoyed reading' was a genre than this novel would fit in perfec...more
Fanficfan44
Light, fun read with some heartbreak, some romance, and some basic growing up. The main character, Mary was married young and then her husband has an affair and she has to start over, in the Cotswolds. I liked it well enough that I would probably try the second in the series given the opportunity. I found some parts of the plot forced you to suspend your disbelief quite a bit, but overall an enjoyable chick lit type read.
Lynne - The Book Squirrel
Great read - loved it! Fast paced, easy to read and hard to put down. Loved the characters you meet along the way too. Very funny in places and I was taken back to days when I was a 'Tupperware' demonstrator many moons ago, although my manager wasn't a bit like Evil Edna!
Nicole
I liked the honesty of the characters and Mary's clear motivation. I thought the story was poorly constructed and the dog bite was a weak threat. Also the ending didn't fit the rest of the book. Cute story though.
Lorna
A great read and for a first novel very impressive! The story was good the characters believable and I can't wait for te next one to come out, Way to go Rebecca!
Jill Nojack
Jill Nojack marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Sarah added it
Jun 12, 2014
Jen Thomas
Jen Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Chalaina
Chalaina marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Geranium Cat
Geranium Cat marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Tigerlee
Tigerlee marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Adriana
Adriana marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2014
Kelly Smith
Kelly Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
Elizabeth Ducie
Elizabeth Ducie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Linda Hilton
Linda Hilton marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013