Start by marking “Cast No Shadow (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
Cast No Shadow (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Cast No Shadow (Star Trek: The Original Series)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Seven years have passed since a catastrophic explosion on the Klingon moon Praxis touched off a chain of events that would result in the assassination of the reformist High Chancellor Gorkon, and the eventual creation of the historic Khitomer Accords. Now, as part of the ongoing efforts to undo the disastrous fallout from the destruction of Praxis and with the help of aid
Published July 26th 2011 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Cast No Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast No Shadow

Michael
More and more these days, Star Trek novels tease me, offering great promise in the opening chapters but slowly falling back into the limitations of tie-in fiction in the waning pages.

With the franchise effectively rebooted by the movie series, it would seem the books could pretty much take some greater risks these days, exploring some new corners of the universe and offering up some compelling stories about the characters both major and minor we've met over the course of four decades.

And for the
Paul Lunger
There seems to be a theme brewing within the Star Trek novels especially this year regarding follow-ups to characters we haven't seen in a while. In "Cast No Shadow", James Swallow revisits the tale Gorkon assassination plot that is the crux of the events in Star Trek VI. For this story we revisit the story of Lt. Valeris & find out not only how she was involved in the plot but we also learn that 7 years after the fact the group of terrorists that were behind the plot are back. In order to d ...more
David Agranoff
This is one of the better Trek novels and I like that it was independent of any of the shows or traditional starship settings. This was a spy novel set in the trek universe and tied to the events of Trek IV, it features a starring role for Valries( played in the movie by Kim Cattrell) It does have a few characters have become key figures in the Titan and DS9 novels.

The novel does start off slow for me, by the end I thought it was probably best Trek novel I have read that has been written in the
Daniel Kukwa
James Swallow made a great impression on me with his "Doctor Who" work, in books and on audio...and he follows it up with an excellent "Star Trek" novel. It's another exciting, tension-filled look into that nebulous era between the end of "Star Trek VI" and the beginning of "The Next Generation"...and it answers some interesting questions about the final fate of the traitor Valeris. Its best quality is the groundwork it lays surrounding the basis of the Federation/Klingon alliance -- convincing, ...more
Bryna
Good follow-up to Star Trek 6. Lots of action in this one so I wasn't bored with it. Was good to get some background on the Valeris character. And nice to get a little with Sulu and the Exelsior. Could have done without Elias Vaughn, though. Never liked that character. Spock being on the cover is misleading since he's hardly featured at all. But I suppose they have to sell books somehow. Anyways, great book, I enjoyed it very much.
Dan
Cast No Shadow is an interesting story, and it fills in a few gaps in a period of Star Trek history that is interesting to explore. It provides motivations for Valeris's actions in Star Trek VI, but a little unsatisfactorily in my opinion. All in all, a somewhat by-the-numbers Trek adventure that I feel missed an opportunity to be much, much more.

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2011/10/c...
Stefan
Quote from Cast No Shadow (Star Trek) by James Swallow: "Things like justice and fairness were not natural forces in the universe, they were artificial constructs of sentient beings – and they needed to be applied with ruthless intent, or else meant nothing." I like that one.
JD Snowhawk Couch
James swollow wrote this book and he done a great job this is one of the best Star trek novels I have ever read and I read all of them including and ebook and this knocks them all out of the running in this Authors mind brilliant work JD Couch
Nicky2910
David
Great examination of Valeris as a character, an early Elias Vaughn, and the book is very suspenseful. Well-written with no real boring parts.
Timothy
I loved best lost era book to date.
Ben Newton
This was a solid book. One thing that was different from most Star Trek novels I've read is that the author didn't spend a lot of time going into the internal monologues of the characters. He focused on what they said and what they did. Usually, especially with main characters, there's a running monologue in that character's "voice" with lots of callbacks to points of Star Trek lore to make sure we feel like we're reading about the characters in our TV shows. This novel didn't and I think that's ...more
Abhinav
You can read the full review over at The Founding Fields:

Shadowhawk reviews the tie-in sequel novel to the superhit Star Trek film The Undiscovered Country, the sixth in the Star Trek filmsverse.

“A very satisfying continuation to what was already a great film. A near-perfect sequel guest-starring some of the TOS crew.” ~Shadowhawk, The Founding Fields

Over the years, I’ve read quite a few novels set within the Star Trek universe, whether these be books feat
Gerri Leen
I do not, as a rule, read Star Trek profic novels, but this one dealt with Valeris, and I was curious. Note to self: use the "look inside" feature of Amazon consistently. After very few sections of this, it became clear the author was really fond of the "Burly Detective Syndrome" (google Turkey City Lexicon and SFWA , if you aren't sure what I mean) and was so busy having the characters refer to themselves as "the older woman," "the younger woman," etc (characters we don't know so these labels a ...more
Jimyanni
Very well-written, very powerful. My only objection, and the reason that I've rated the book at four stars rather than five, is that I find the backstory explaining Valeris' hatred of Klingons more than a little dubious. If she had had such a traumatic experience at such a formative age, perhaps she could have hidden the effects of it from Starfleet psych evaluations prior to the events at Khitomer, but once she was revealed by those events for what she was, surely those events would have been p ...more
Steven Donoso
James Swallow's CAST NO SHADOW is a great story and a wonderful sequel to the events of the 6th Star Trek film, THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY. I say "the events of" because the book begins seven years after the peace accords between the Federation and the Klingon Empire and because, regardless of the cover art, Spock has only a cameo role here. If this were a film, it would take place after Star Trek VII - Generations. If you get this book figuring it is an original series novel, you are mistaken. Wh ...more
Jeff Wetherington
This is the first work of James Swallow's that I've read and I enjoyed it very much. It was nice to see the back story of Valeris' reasons for her betrayal in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and to know what happened to her after her acts of treason against Starfleet and the Federation. Weaving in Section 31 was also a nice touch.

If you like Star Trek and its worlds, you should enjoy this book.
Sonja
Liked it -- nice meaty story.
Ron Turner
I liked it. Did a good job of tieing up some loose strings (what happened to Vulcan traitor Valeris from the movie Undiscovered Country, origins of Elias Vaughn's career in Starfleet Intelligence, background of the Klingon's conquest of Krios). My only nitpick is the cover. Spock has a cameo, but they should've featured Valeris and Vaughn together.
Quinn Rollins
A Star Trek novel that looks at the history of Valeris, the traitor in Star Trek VI, and how someone so good could get so screwed up. Really only for hard core Star Trek fans, but that was one of my favorite ST movies with the original cast, and this author does a good job with those characters. I liked it.
Kreg
Pretty decent book. Relates what happened to Valeris after ST VI, and being given the chance to 'redeem herself' rather than rot in a rehabilitation camp for the remainder of her life.

Cameo appearances by Spock and Sulu were very nice - just enough so that they don't take the spotlight away from the main story.
Shane Downton

It's been a while since I've read a decent Star Trek novel. This is the sequel to the Undiscovered Country which was the movie number 6. One of my favourite characters Elias Vaughn is portrayed from his early years in star fleet. Well worth a read.
Terry
The first decent Star Trek book I've read in years. A plausible an readable exploration in to the motives behind the conspiracy in Star Trek IV. Good original characters and an authentic feel to the narrative.
ADD
I enjoyed this book. I thought the follow-on to the background story that didn't make the screen version, or the novelized version of the screenplay. I thought the character representation was believable.
Butch Rosenbalm
I loved the premise but found the execution lacking. Too many new characters for my taste. Rating: 2 1/2 out of 5.
Chris Nielsen
Awesome, this turned me into a James Swallow fan. Now I look for his books and follow him on Twitter...
Robert Faughnan
Good book - does not stand out as great but worth taking the time to read.
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Pete
Pete added it
Dec 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbers for ISBN 9781451607178 2 10 Jul 27, 2013 06:39AM
  • The Rings of Time
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • That Which Divides (Star Trek)
  • Exiles (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #2)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • Unspoken Truth
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Troublesome Minds (Star Trek)
  • Excelsior: Forged in Fire
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • The Children of Kings
  • Inception
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Mind Meld
James Swallow is a British author and scriptwriter, a New York Times Bestseller and BAFTA nominee. He is the author of over thirty-five original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes The Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and fiction from the worlds of Star Trek, Warhammer 4
More about James Swallow...
The Flight of the Eisenstein Nemesis Fear to Tread Doctor Who: Peacemaker Deus Ex: Icarus Effect