Start by marking “Lies” as Want to Read:
Lies

Lies

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  117 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
What does it really mean to be dead? This is the question that vexes Isobel because as far as the outside world is concerned she is dead. The book springs from a case of mistaken identity. Isobel, mother of three adult children and an anthropologist has officially been pronounced dead following a boat accident in a remote part of the Guatemalan jungle. But Isobel is very m ...more
Published 2008 by Phoenix (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lies

Nikki Magennis
Jul 04, 2011 Nikki Magennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting novel. I kept wanting to underline passages concerning lies and truth. The anthropological details were wonderful, and I liked the lightly sketched characterisations. Some digressions seemed a little unnecessary - particularly a subplot about a Russian couple that didn't quite go anywhere, and a story of a long-ago battle that was interesting but not wholly relevant.
Overall I suppose I'd call this novel uneven but worth the draggy bits. I was genuinely moved towards the end,
Jo Lin
Oct 29, 2008 Jo Lin rated it it was ok
This is superficial, really, but I was slightly annoyed that one of the two narratives was written entirely in italics. Since the narratives are divided into separate chapters, I didn't think this was entirely necessary and felt like everything was being emphasized.

As for the story itself, I don't know say in a more erudite fashion that it just didn't do it for me. I probably need to take more time to really think about the novel, but at first read it didn't really strike a chord.
Emi Bevacqua
Aug 26, 2008 Emi Bevacqua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It was interesting reading about the work and studies of an anthropologist, but I didn't really get in to the whole narrative history of this family... I didn't like how each character seemed so locked in to their particular role, I just guess I didn't really care that much for them. Maybe I'd rather read a whole book about the Russian couple.
Melissa
Parts of this were beautiful beyond explanation, and others I found myself skipping entirely. I think I appreciated it more when I finished reading it than during the actual reading. Stories, and, in some ways, lies, are a part of each of us.
Jeruen
Dec 21, 2011 Jeruen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An edited version of this article was first published as Book Review: Lies by Enrique de Hériz on Blogcritics.org.

How much do you care about the truth? How far are you willing to go to uncover the truth? Conversely, how far are you willing to cover up a lie? These are just some of the questions that this multi-layered complex book tries to answer.

This book is the story of Isabel Azuera, who is an aged anthropologist, and her family. At the age of 69, she suddenly announces to her family that sh
Steve
Aug 16, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
Mid 4. This is an enchanting investigation into the nature of truth, where every event, in its retelling, passes into family lore and history through the creative processes of each narrator. As such, the mistakenly reported death of Isabel Garcia Luna in the depths of the Guatemalan jungle enables her to reflect on how her own husband's tales about their own famly history may have shaped their own children's lives. To her mind 'the past, like the future, can only be imagined'. Isabel's own profe ...more
Kathleen Dixon
I took a long time to read this book, and half wondered from time to time if I was going to ever finish it. But every time I picked it up from under the rest of the pile beside the bed, I glanced at what I'd most recently read in it and wanted to know what was going to happen next. So, while I can't agree with the quote on the cover ('I was gripped from the start ...'), I do agree that it's worth reading.

An anthropologist who specialises in death customs is herself mistakenly thought dead. When
Toni
Apr 19, 2016 Toni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
El Premi Llibreter 2004 no deja indiferente a quien lo lea. Destacaría fundamentalmente la mezcla bien trabada de géneros, temas y estilos (en especial el monólogo, las cartas y las referencias etnológicas, marítimas y metaliterarias). La novela describe sin ambages y con una prosa muy elegante la omnipresencia de la mentira y la leyenda en nuestras vidas. Una verdadera joyita.

Marilyn
Jul 16, 2012 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well-written, thought-provoking novel examining the mythology that families and other groups create and pass on. The narration alternates between the older woman anthropologist who is mistakenly thought to be dead (and is in no hurry to correct that mistake), and her daughter back home in Spain, who obsesses about learning the truth about her family's history. I especially like the sections focusing on the mother; what a fascinating character the author has created here. Some of the family ...more
Ardyth
Quite interesting until the last 10% which felt pretty weak -- or anyway very different from the rest -- and the final handful of pages left me feeling very blah. All of the sudden all the characters seemed to resolve their personal issues, but I didn't see any real reason for the change. Maybe poor translation was the problem, though the language itself seemed to flow nicely.

Enjoyable overall, just all a little sudden and pat at the end, and that's colored my feelings about the book.
Jen
Jul 23, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-america
Always nice to read a novel from a different country and this one from Spanish writer de Heriz is very good. It deals with the lies that families tell each other through the generations - to amuse, to mislead, or to preserve family ties. It is good how the various lies over the years all come together at the end when the presumed dead mother of this family is reunited with her husband and children.
Arantza
Aug 31, 2010 Arantza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a quien se encuentre en un momento de cambio vital
fantastico libro sobre la libertad de escapar de una vida que oprime, encorseta y a la que se vuelve desde una posición nueva.
Heidi
Dec 17, 2007 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good storytelling of a modern-day Spanish family and the lies that have been a part of their family in the past and the present.
Jenny
Very interesting arena for discussions on funeral rites, death in various cultures, ethics of lies, truth.
Cason
This got a great and very intriguing review on the Bookslut blog
Toni Rosa
Toni Rosa marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Wejdan
Wejdan marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Numblock
Numblock is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Tania Morrison
Tania Morrison is currently reading it
Apr 14, 2016
Maria Sassi
Maria Sassi is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2016
Kalina
Kalina added it
Apr 05, 2016
Gloria
Gloria rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Luisa Gutierrez
Luisa Gutierrez rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Salem
Salem marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Lawrence Tyree Library
Lawrence Tyree Library marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Micaela
Micaela is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2016
  • Una comedia ligera
  • Apocryphal Tales
  • The Dancer and the Thief: A Novel
  • El orden alfabético
  • The Innocent Spy (DI Ted Stratton, #1)
  • The Mayor's Tongue
  • Iceland's Bell
  • Swift as Desire
  • Spinner
  • Secret London - an Unusual Guide
  • Mutmassungen über Jakob
Enrique de Hériz (1964) is one of the true storytellers. For years he worked as a lecturer, translator and publisher before he completely gave himself to writing. His first novel, El dia menos pensado, received overwhelmingly good reviews. In 2003 he was awarded the Premio UNED for short stories. His third novel, Mentira (Lies) was awarded the Spanish booktraders prize.
More about Enrique de Hériz...

“…nostalgia is, by definition, the least authentic of all feelings.” 9 likes
“We don’t even survive in the memories of the living. Science has destroyed that myth. Whenever we remember something, what we’re doing is remembering the last time we remembered it; our memory doesn’t go back to the original notch, the first one was cut, but to the last one. Human memory is virtual, like that of a computer. When we open a file we’re not opening it as it was when we first created it, but as it was the last time we used it. It is called hypercathexis and is our brain’s most sophisticated recourse when it comes to confronting pain.” 7 likes