Start by marking “The Development Dictionary: A Guide to Knowledge as Power” as Want to Read:
The Development Dictionary: A Guide to Knowledge as Power

The Development Dictionary: A Guide to Knowledge as Power

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In this pioneering collection, some of the world’s most eminent critics of development review the key concepts of the development discourse in the post-war era.

Each essay examines one concept from a historical and anthropological point of view and highlights its particular bias. Exposing their historical obsolescence and intellectual sterility, the authors call for a biddi...more
Published December 15th 1991 by Zed Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Development Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Development Dictionary

Deidre
Jan 09, 2008 Deidre is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this right now, and I keep wishing I had read it a few years ago. really important stuff, really important questions.
Hodan A
Initially this was my amnesia solution!once i try to read the introduction---i fall asleep. However, couple of months ago i started using it for a research paper...And it hit me like a storm. This is a book that every collage student should read wither if you belong to 1st,2nd,3rd,4th or even 5th world country. Its just refreshing,all the concepts that we were force-fed from childhood(if your born in the 80's comme moi)till today through the media e.g. development/science/technology result in no...more
John Favini
An awesome guide to various terms within the development industry. Intellectual Genealogies that get to the root of some of development's most disturbing premises.
Kyle
A compelling collection of philosophical and historical essays dealing with the development discourse. I don't care much for Sach's contributions, but some of the other essays like "Helping", "Participation" and "Needs" used the Foucauldian genealogical approach (a history of ideas) to make critically, yet engaging arguments about how the West viewed/views developing countries. A useful text to bring along on your next trip to the Caribbeans.
Mike
A true classic. Essays on the meanings behind words that are thrown out in the Western world to promote our ideal "development". I can read it over and over again.
Recommended...
Devon
good selection of essays on various topics related to "development". an excellent critique of the concept of development and the so-called 3rd world.
Elma Jenkins
Elma Jenkins marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Patrice Musarurwa
Patrice Musarurwa marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Jessica Robbins
Jessica Robbins marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Jan Kucic-Riker
Jan Kucic-Riker is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2014
Vernita
Vernita marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Joana Rodrigues
Joana Rodrigues marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Ciaran Downs
Ciaran Downs is currently reading it
Sep 24, 2014
Zhara Ali
Zhara Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Darshan Kumar
Darshan Kumar is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
Naomi Abbey
Naomi Abbey marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Rodney
Rodney marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Bjørn Peterson
Bjørn Peterson marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Vahakn Keshishian
Vahakn Keshishian marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
JoolyRooger
JoolyRooger marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Emrys Bowman
Emrys Bowman marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Abdi
Abdi marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Wolfgang Sachs (born 25 November 1946) is a researcher, writer and university teacher in the field of environment, development, and globalization.
He studied sociology and Catholic theology in Munich, Tübingen and Berkeley. He holds a master degree in sociology (1971), a master degree in theology (1972) and a PhD in social sciences (1975).
After a period (1975–1984) as Assistant Professor at the Tec...more
More about Wolfgang Sachs...
Planet Dialectics: Explorations in Environment and Development For Love of the Automobile: Looking Back into the History of Our Desires Planet Dialectics Ambiente E Giustizia Sociale: I Limiti Della Globalizzazione Fair Future: Limited Resources and Global Justice