Start by marking “Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark” as Want to Read:
Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark

Seaman: The Dog Who Explored the West with Lewis & Clark

This fictionalized retelling of the journey of Meriwether Lewis, William Clark, and the Corps of Discovery tells the story of an unheralded member of the Corps -- Seaman, a 150-pound Newfoundland dog. Seaman travels the long journey with the Corps, serving a key role in the expedition's success, catching and retrieving game, and protecting the expedition team from wild ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Peachtree Jr (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Seaman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seaman

Ava
Oct 21, 2014 Ava rated it really liked it
Seaman is a very intriguing book about a courageous and loyal dog named Seaman as he travels with Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery on a historical adventure. The author, Gail Langer Karwoski, used Lewis's diary own in order to write this book. Based on the journal entries, Seaman played a huge role in the success of the expedition. While the author used actual notes from Lewis's diary, she also used her own imagination to make the story more realistic. The book includes vivid details ...more
Sarah Bierle
Aug 03, 2014 Sarah Bierle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a great story! My mother read this book to me when I was about seven. When I was younger my favorite thing about this story was that it focused on Seaman and made the big dog so friendly and personable.

As I've gotten older and my reading and historical knowledge has increased, I still enjoy this account. I appreciate that it focuses on Seaman and his relationship with his human friends, but doesn't tell the story from Seaman's first person perspective. The information about the Corps of Di
LuAnn
Jul 09, 2016 LuAnn rated it really liked it
Engaging chronological retelling of Lewis and Clark’s amazing Expedition to the Pacific. Focusing on their dog, Seaman, increases the appeal to young people; however, keeping the narration in the third person doesn’t limit the author to the dog’s point of view. Their feats of finding their way across half the continent without maps; crossing the Rockies twice; enduring mosquitoes, gnats, starvation; running rapids in handmade canoes, meeting mostly friendly natives peoples; portaging supplies ...more
Leah
Feb 13, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: heart-of-dakota
We listened to an audiobook of this for school. It was well researched and I think that the way the book highlights the dog and his relationship with his human friends might make this story more interesting for some kids. I think dog fans would really love this book. It is written "about" the dog not from his point of view. The author was able to blend the history about the trip and what we know about the dog from the actual journals of Lewis and Clark. Although it was interesting there have ...more
Amy
Historical fiction for kids re: Lewis and Clark. Bringing the dog into the spotlight seems like a great way to hook kids and it worked for Bea (though to be fair she loves history anyway and has already been interested in and learned a lot about L&C, etc.)

The book doesn't gloss over the hardships of the trip though - illness, hunger, death, troubles with the native tribes.... so reader beware. Bea had read a lot of picture books on the subject so she was prepared.
Savannah
Mar 07, 2008 Savannah rated it liked it
This one is livelier than the other similar title I read, which is interesting because that one is actually written from the pov of the dog, where this one is simply about him. The other has some more interesting episodes; this one has the more interesting writing. I think that ultimately this one is a touch more accessible, even if both are equally likely to appeal to kids.
Marie
Mar 22, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The dog angle makes this kid-friendly, but it is not dumbed down. The author included loads of historical details from primary sources-- from terrain and wildlife to the fact that Sacagawea's husband was terrible at steering boats. My kids and I all learned a lot, and we all agreed that we wished we could give Seaman a big hug.
Gabriel
Apr 24, 2013 Gabriel rated it really liked it
Lewis bought Seaman for $20. Seaman was a Newfoundland dog. Seaman was bit by a beaver on the way to the Pacific and couldn't move for a week! Lewis and Clark never found the North West Passage. Seaman stayed with two trappers, Hancock and Dixson. Nobody knows what happened to him! This is a GREAT book!
Mitchell
Oct 12, 2009 Mitchell rated it liked it
Recommended to Mitchell by: Kathy Dale
This book was a fun perspective on the Lewis and Clark expedition. There were references throughout their records to the Newfoundland Dog that traveled with them. This book records the dogs exploits.

There is an interesting Google Lit Trip of the book found at http://www.googlelittrips.com/GoogleL...
Kelly Holland
Apr 04, 2011 Kelly Holland rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This is a remarkable book for teaching Lewis and Clark to children. The research blended with fiction and actual journal entries makes the story come alive. Highly recommended even if you're not teaching it!
Annie Evans
Normally not an animal person, or an animal book person, but this one was an interesting way to hook my students into the story of the greatest real estate deal in the history of the U.S. as told through the eyes of the dog.
Jessica
Aug 24, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fun, interesting twist on the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is written for young adults/children, so it is lighter than other historical accounts. I enjoyed it, and it made me want to play with a newfoundland dog! I am planning on reading it with the kids.
Elise
Dec 08, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book not only held the interest of my sons, but I looked forward to reading it each night. It was also neat to look at the modern map showing where Lewis & Clark had explored. I loved the description of the Pacific Ocean having lived on the coast myself.
Adrienne
Jun 28, 2015 Adrienne rated it liked it
Shelves: j-t-weens
Jordan Smith
Dec 11, 2013 Jordan Smith rated it liked it
Great fictional retelling of the Lewis and Clark expedition through the eyes of Lewis' dog, Seaman, a Newfoundland that went across the west with the Corps of Discovery.
Butta
Feb 20, 2009 Butta rated it really liked it
this book was really cool and kinda sad seaman a dog goes on the lewis and clark expedisoin and gose all the way to the western sea
Pat
Jul 08, 2009 Pat rated it liked it
Recommends it for: grade 5 and above
Fictionalized account of the Lewis and Clark journey, with special attention on Seaman the dog. Some graphic sections which may upset younger readers.
Onopei
Onopei rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2010
Norma
Norma rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2011
Melissa Coyle
Melissa Coyle rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2013
Tawney Lee
Tawney Lee rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Bailey
Feb 21, 2009 Bailey rated it it was amazing
This book is AWESOME!!!!:-D
Dani F.
Dani F. rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2013
Crystal Wright
Crystal Wright rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2015
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2012
Zoe
Zoe rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Where Do You Think You're Going, Christopher Columbus?
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Pioneer!: A Wilderness You'd Rather Not Tame
  • Only the Names Remain: The Cherokees and The Trail of Tears
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Of Courage Undaunted
  • George Washington's Teeth
  • True North
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Children of the Dust Bowl: The True Story of the School at Weedpatch Camp
Gail Langer Karwoski writes historical novels and nonfiction for kids in grades 3-9, as well as “green” picture books. Curiosity inspires her choice of topics and research helps her books grow. Her titles have won lots of awards and are enjoyed in classrooms around the country.

When she isn’t clicking away on her keyboard, you can find this former teacher visiting schools and libraries. Gail’s live
More about Gail Langer Karwoski...