Start by marking “The Battle Of Gettysburg” as Want to Read:
The Battle Of Gettysburg

The Battle Of Gettysburg

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published January 1st 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle Of Gettysburg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle Of Gettysburg

Chuck Leonard
Feb 07, 2016 Chuck Leonard rated it really liked it
An eyewitness account of action on the left center portion of the Union line at Gettysburg, July 2 and 3... The author, Frank Aretas Haskell, served as General Gibbons' Aide-de-Camp and was a Colonel of the 36th Wisconsin Infantry at Gettysburg and served with distinction in numerous other large and small civil war battles. He was a graduate of Dartmouth College ("with distinction") and was credited by Gibbons with doing more "than any other one man to repulse Pickett's assault"... at ...more
Andrew
Jul 25, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
Frank Haskall's The Battle of Gettysburg provides an exciting, detailed first-hand account of the eponymous battle. Haskall was an aide to Major General John Gibbon, commander of the Second Division of the II Corps, and was in the thick of the some of the heaviest fighting on July 2 and 3.

The narrative, though occasionally a little over-wrought, is quite readable and exciting. The book is also relatively short, and well paced. The narrative suffers a little bit when it covers the parts of the b
Terena
Apr 26, 2016 Terena rated it really liked it
Descriptives

This is supposedly a letter from the author to his brother. It reads more like a novel. The author, an officer of the Union Army, refers to himself as vain and egotistical. I have to say I agree. However; his accounts of the battle were from his personal experiences. He doesn't attempt to surmise or guess what was happening between armies in other places. It is felt that he, being intelligent and well schooled, didn't suffer fools.

"The red flags wave, their horsemen gallop up and dow
Bryan
Jul 04, 2013 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has been on my reading list for quite some time. With the 150th anniversary of the battle, now it made it to the top of my list. And I am glad.
This is an account written by a soldier in that battle and the only first person full account ever. He wrote this as a letter to his brother and died in a future battle of that same war.
It is written in strictly a Union Army perspective, of course, so it isn't a full accounting of the battle, but boy is it graphic and factual. I loved hearing a cool
Patrick
Oct 31, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was written by an officer for the union that fought in the battle of Gettysburg. It was never intended to be published, but was written as a letter to his brother. With that in mind I found this book to be very interesting. Since I have been to Gettysburg several times I could picture in my mind where the battle was taking place.
Monte Lamb
May 24, 2014 Monte Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-civil-war
This is a graphic first-hand description of what the author saw and thought during the Battle of Gettysburg. It was written as a letter to his brother soon after the battle and is well written with several critical thoughts on some of the participants. It is a good source for understanding the battle and what the soldiers were feeling at that time.
Beth Buzzell
Aug 06, 2016 Beth Buzzell rated it it was amazing
Great information on those who fought battle

Great book,a good first hand experience.enjoyed the author view of the battle.always enjoy learning about our American civil war.a great read
Mark
Jun 26, 2012 Mark added it

The best personal account of the Battle of Gettysburg I have read. Written as letters to his brother while on the march during and shortly after the battle, Haskell created a very vivid description of the battle. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in the Civil War.
Don
Sep 30, 2015 Don added it
Shelves: history
Brilliant book. Having watched the film felt that I had been at the Battle itself after reading this book. One of best battle books that I have ever read by an actual observer. Easy to follow action. Looking forward to a battlefield visit some day.
Stephen
Jul 16, 2013 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If not for Haskell's disrespectful and entirely ignorant ranting about the supposed "cowardice" of the US Army's 11th Corps, it would be a very excellent book. I'd probably give it 5 stars if not for this.
Ira Livingston
May 22, 2015 Ira Livingston rated it it was amazing
An amazing first hand account of the Battle of Gettysburg. Originally written for his brother and not publication, however thank God for publishing such a work for students of true history, written by those that were there.
Michael Burhans
Oct 02, 2014 Michael Burhans rated it liked it
Shelves: history
An excellent older history of the Battle of Gettysburg. Stylistically much different than modern books, but still very good.
carl brooks
Jan 30, 2015 carl brooks rated it really liked it
Great insight

Good read. Almost like you were there. If you can get past the flowery writing of the 1800's you will enjoy this book

Joel Manuel
Jul 02, 2012 Joel Manuel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written by the ill-fated Haskell a few weeks after Gettysburg, its main strength is its description of the repulse of Pickett's Charge. A quick read.
Dan b
Dan b rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Janelle A Seibold
Janelle A Seibold rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2015
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2007
Ron Farinetti
Ron Farinetti rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Jason Fretz
Jason Fretz rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Randy E. Tome
Randy E. Tome rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Bob
Bob rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2016
Here Now
Here Now rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Scott A Ayres
Scott A Ayres rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Sharon M
Sharon M rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Monti Mallow
Monti Mallow rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
David Kass
David Kass rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2016
johnny w jordan
johnny w jordan rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2014
cartershoenfelt
cartershoenfelt rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Art
Art rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2010
  • Three Months in the Southern States: April-June 1863
  • Chancellorsville 1863: The Souls of the Brave
  • Return to Bull Run: The Campaign and Battle of Second Manassas
  • Stand Firm Ye Boys from Maine: The 20th Maine and the Gettysburg Campaign
  • The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern, May 7--12, 1864
  • From Manassas To Appomattox
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Confederate Reckoning: Power and Politics in the Civil War South
  • Look Away!: A History of the Confederate States of America
  • Lincoln and His Admirals
  • Gettysburg--The Second Day
  • The Passing of Armies: An Account of the Final Campaign of the Army of the Potomac
  • True Crime in the Civil War: Cases of Murder, Treason, Counterfeiting, Massacre, Plunder & Abuse
  • Hallowed Ground: A Walk at Gettysburg