Start by marking “The Power of Grammar: Unconventional Approaches to the Conventions of Language” as Want to Read:
The Power of Grammar: Unconventional Approaches to the Conventions of Language

The Power of Grammar: Unconventional Approaches to the Conventions of Language

Grammar is the gatekeeper to a culture of power, yet it is also the power behind the startling beauty and robustness of the English language. In ""The Power of Grammar"," Mary Ehrenworth and Vicki Vinton show you how these two notions of power can help your grammar instruction address the practical and aesthetic needs of your student writers.

Ehrenworth and Vinton explore t
Published February 1st 2005 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Grammar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Grammar

Jul 23, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing

This incredibly helpful book completely changed my thinking about effective grammar instruction. As a teacher who has grown weary with the traditional practices of drilling and grilling students on the hundreds of rules and exceptions to the rules, I was excited to read about Ehrenworth and Vinton’s alternative approaches to teaching students the power of grammar. The authors detail how the power behind using grammar effectively is two-fold. Those students who learn how to communicate effectivel
Julie Scott
Jul 08, 2015 Julie Scott rated it it was amazing
Cash English. It’s a concept that I hadn’t really thought about, but if students want access to the culture of power, knowing the conventions of standard English will at least give them the option if they choose to participate. Ehrenworth gives teachers a plan for making sure that conventions are taught to mastery in contextual lessons using mentor texts.

Perhaps one of the most useful parts of the book can be found on page 44 and 45. She offers a model curriculum calendar that teachers can use
Julie Gardner
Apr 15, 2014 Julie Gardner rated it it was amazing
Any book about grammar that brings the reader to tears-twice-deserves a 5 star rating. This book is a passionate discourse on what we lose by ignoring grammar and, equally important, what we lose by teaching no-nonsense, by-the-rules, worksheet-driven grammar. Instead, we can teach grammar through inquiry and apprenticeship as "an art, relying on the way art provokes responses across differences of power, knowledge, and control...Showing students how powerful writers use grammar as a ...more
Jennifer Wyld
Aug 30, 2008 Jennifer Wyld rated it really liked it
Yes, I am reading a book on grammar... I am either a nerd, or a teacher, or both!- OK- I finished it and it was an enjoyable read! Really! I like the insight that knowing how to use grammar - whether you are following the rules or choosing to break them- is a way to access power. I hope I pick up more of the craft of writing when I read in the future because these authors showed how to really appreciate a sentence when it is well crafted. And of course they kept going on about on from Lolita- a ...more
Larinda Olds
Jan 06, 2014 Larinda Olds rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
While many people would balk at reading a book about grammar, this is a very good read. You'll learn how to set up a grammar calendar of mini-lessons to teach throughout the year. Also helpful is the layout of how to cycle the lessons for maximum permanence. It was also great to revisit all those grammar "why we do what we do" rules. Things you may do automatically but can't explain why.
jmjester
Sep 27, 2012 jmjester marked it as to-read
I predict this book will be dog-earred before long right along with my copies of Anderson's Everyday Editing and Mechanically Inclined. I'm anxious to see the impact such an apprenticeship to other's writing as Ehrenworth and Vinton suggest on my students' writing.
Andrea Holck
Oct 19, 2012 Andrea Holck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Hands down the most authentic, readable, inspiring and practical guide to teaching grammar in the middle grades. It has curriculum built into the R/W Workshop curricular year and approaches conventions as a powerful way to control and manipulate writer's voice.
Tammy Ward
Jun 16, 2014 Tammy Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
My big takeaway: Grammar/punctuation is not just about following the rules. It's about choice.

Many of my students suffer from flat writing. I believe using some of these ideas can help students find their voice.
Amy
Aug 02, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education-books
This is a super educational resource that doesn't skip the important discussions about grammar, language, power and culture. I loved that the authors used a social justice lens to model teaching about language, voice and choice in writing.
Andy
May 18, 2015 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
An interesting look on grammar instruction. It was easy to read and enjoyable, I really like the idea of using inquiry to teach grammar.
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Courtney Samuelson
Courtney Samuelson rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Lyle
Lyle rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Annabel
Annabel rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Jared Davis
Jared Davis rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2014
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Phillip Hamrick
Phillip Hamrick rated it did not like it
Apr 16, 2008
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2008
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Melanie Swider
Melanie Swider rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Brett Conrad
Brett Conrad rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Mr. Kim
Mr. Kim rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2010
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Shelby
Shelby rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2010
Gene
Gene rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2008
Rhiannon
Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014