Start by marking “A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women” as Want to Read:
A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women

A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth George serves up a century's worth of superb crime fiction penned by women. This veritable all-star team delivers tales of dark deeds that will keep you reading long into the night. Included are these works:

"A Jury of Her Peers" by Susan Glaspell
The Summer of People" by Shirley Jackson
"The Irony of Hate" by Ruth Rendell
"Country L
Published June 28th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published November 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Moment on the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Moment on the Edge

Diane
Apr 05, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it
Another anthology of mystery and crime stories, these by women. This volume was edited by Elizabeth George. I love her attitude towards crime fiction:

"One man at a writing conference told me that he was going to write crime fiction as practice and then, later on, he would write a 'real novel.'

'Like making tacos until you can graduate to chocolate cake from scratch?' I asked him innocently."

Like Ms George says, "For my money, literature is whatever lasts." I strongly recommend reading her introd
B.V.
Jun 14, 2012 B.V. rated it really liked it
Author Elizabeth George, best known for her Inspector Lynley mysteries, selected 26 crime stories by women authors for the anthology A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women (2002). In her introduction, George analyzes how and why people have been fascinated with crime stories since ancient times and takes to task those critics of the genre who believe crime writing is a lesser form of literary endeavor. The stories George chose certainly make a strong argument for their inclusi ...more
Teresa B
Jun 26, 2010 Teresa B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Teresa by: its own cover, on the library shelf
This collection of "crime" stories ran the gamut from amusing to disturbing. The twenty-seven authors represented each have a unique style, and the biographical introductions highlight each writer's strengths and best-known works.

Caution: If you don't want to add more authors and titles to your "to read" list then you should avoid reading this collection. By the time I finished I added fifteen more authors to my own list.
JUDY ANN
Apr 25, 2010 JUDY ANN rated it it was amazing
I KEPT THIS BOOK IN MY CAR IN CASE I HAD TO WAIT FOR MY HUSBAND SOMEWHERE (USUALLY LOWE'S OR HOME DEPOT). THE STORIES WERE GREAT AND I ENJOYED HAVING SOMETHING I COULD READ QUICKLY.
mbattist
Oct 18, 2015 mbattist rated it really liked it
George has pulled together a masterful compilation, so many to remember over the course of 100 years. One sticks with me so frightening and so personal: an elderly husband and wife determine to stay at the lake house past Labor Day. The community turns on them and so does the weather as they wait and wait, perhaps to die.
Cat.
Nov 17, 2013 Cat. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, if George really did do the editing, her copyeditor sleepwalked, or just rubber-stamped. The layout of this book was atrocious: paragraphs were generally indented, but frequently they weren't, there were punctuation errors....grrr.

ANYWAY. The stories themselves were good. Really good. A wonderful introduction to some authors I've never heard of, along with some "old friends." Of the latter, there were a couple of stories I had read elsewhere, which just goes to show that I'm a sho
Lucy Barnhouse
Sep 09, 2014 Lucy Barnhouse rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
As a mystery buff, I found the quality of the stories themselves remarkably high in general, with several standouts. Included are old favorites (Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh) and new discoveries alike. An even greater attraction of this well-curated collection is seeing what social issues and pressures are brought to the fore by the authors.
Erin
Jul 01, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Elizabeth George has curated an amazing selection of stories here, from women who identify themselves as mystery/crime writers to those who are considered more literary or mainstream by lit critics. I love what she says in the introduction: that the crime is the skeleton of the story, and writers can choose to hang characterization, theme, mood, and cultural criticism off of that skeleton. I feel like that is exactly what George does in her own novels, which are each a complete body, nowhere nea ...more
Sally
Jul 23, 2015 Sally rated it it was amazing
Once I got past the first few stories, I really enjoyed this book, especially the short biographies of each woman.
Paige
Apr 29, 2014 Paige rated it it was amazing
So glad I found this. A gem of a collection. I especially loved the piece by Joyce Carol Oates.
Claire Tomonaga
Feb 13, 2014 Claire Tomonaga rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
A really varied collection of short stories all written by women. I have discovered a couple of new authors as a result of reading this collection which is always a good thing.
Karen
Apr 21, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
So far so good. I'm enjoying the chronological progression of the writing styles and voices. I'm also (finally!) reading some of the great mystery masters like Dorothy L. Sayers and Ngaio Marsh. This collection also features stories by several contemporary authors like Sara Paretsky, Sharon McCrumb, J.A. Jance, and Nancy Pickard. Some of my personal favorites were the stories by Ruth Rendell, Barbara Paul, Wendy Hornsby, and Minette Walters. These authors (other than Rendell) are all new to me a ...more
Lesley
Jan 21, 2016 Lesley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: calvin-to-read
Phenomenal collection of short story crime fiction showcasing the talents of 26 female writers. LOVED IT!
Elena
Feb 21, 2011 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed most of these stories but noticed that as they became more modern (i. e. written by contemporary women), in general they became less interesting. Or maybe it was that the murders became more gruesome and somehow more commonplace, like tv murders? Almost all the women had interesting plot twists and some were really creepy (Joyce Carol Oates' was especially hard to read). But I guess I prefer that mood of mystery in the past.
Jeff
Dec 04, 2009 Jeff rated it liked it
Through the first few stories now, and this is a really interesting anthology so far. A little author history, a little crime story.

---------------------------

I'm not sure crime fiction is my bag, or if short-story crime fiction is, anyway, but the anthology is fun, and toward the end there is a Joyce Carol Oates story that is worth the whole book.
Julia
Aug 22, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery readers looking for new authors
I really enjoyed the stories in this book. While some were more to my liking than others it was fun to explore the book's theme - women writing mysteries in the 20th century. As a bonus it introduced me to several new (well, new to me) authors whose other work I have since found and enjoyed.
Steph
May 09, 2015 Steph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb. Several of the stories I've read before, but enjoyed reading them again. Very nice intro to teach story by the wonderful Elizabeth George. Not a bad story in the whole book. Highly recommended for all mystery fans!
Susan Grodsky
Nov 05, 2012 Susan Grodsky rated it really liked it
Nice sampler that encouraged me to add some titles to my "to read" list. Introduced some new to me authors I'm eager to try. Could Susan Glaspell be my new fav author? :). Introductions are informative if a bit formulaic.
Anja Hildén
Jag gillar deckare och jag gillar noveller. I den här boken har Elizabeh George samlat noveller av kollegor hon vill promota. God tanke. Men det finns mycket få noveller i den här boken jag tycker håller ö h t.
Rebes
Nov 24, 2008 Rebes rated it really liked it
Really nice compilation of varied crime stories! It took me a couple of stories for me to get excited about it, but there were definitely some gems!
Kieffala
Aug 15, 2008 Kieffala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I really enjoyed this collection. I want to buy it so I have my own copy. It also opened me up to some other female authors I might not otherwise have found.
Mom
Aug 04, 2010 Mom rated it liked it
As with any collection I liked some stories better than others; some I didn't finish and some were not new to me. Overall, it was worthwhile.
Jackie G
Jan 06, 2014 Jackie G rated it really liked it
This was a great collection - really enjoyed the background on the authors and have gotten some new ideas for "must read" mystery series.
Elaine
Jul 10, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it
I loved this collection of short stories because it introduced me to some very fun female mystery authors. Very entertaining.
Mary
May 31, 2009 Mary rated it liked it
Good selection of authors, and a nice way to sample some crime fictiion writers.
Allison
Mar 14, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Excellent anthology of crime shorts. A little something for everyone.
Ann
Jun 26, 2011 Ann rated it really liked it
great collection liked earlier ones better than later
Anne
Feb 09, 2009 Anne rated it liked it
Good assortment of different styles of crime stories.
Kasey
Mar 23, 2012 Kasey rated it liked it
it was ok, but took me a while to get through
Pat Turner
May 21, 2013 Pat Turner rated it liked it
Varied anthology of female investigators.
  • The Oxford Book of Short Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Perfect Crimes and Impossible Mysteries
  • The Penguin Book of Ghost Stories: From Elizabeth Gaskell to Ambrose Bierce (Penguin Classics)
  • Revelations
  • The Means of Escape
  • The Case Of The Crimson Kiss: A Perry Mason Novelette, And Other Stories
  • Best European Fiction 2013
  • Missing Mabel
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law

Susan Elizabeth George is an American author of mystery novels set in Great Britain. Eleven of her novels, featuring her character Inspector Lynley, have been adapted for television by the BBC as The Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

She was born in Warren, Ohio, but moved to the S
More about Elizabeth George...