Start by marking “Albert” as Want to Read:
Albert

Albert

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  40 reviews
You never know what a day will bring.
The morning begins like any other. Albert reaches out the window to check the weather. But from the moment a twig lands smack in the palm of his hand, life is never the same.
In her first picture book, Donna Jo Napoli invents a magical and inspiring tale that will capture the heart of any reader who has loved a pet. Jim LaMarche create
Published April 1st 2001 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Albert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Albert

Kathryn
Jun 01, 2012 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Jeannette
Such a wonderful, beautiful, touching story! I'm struggling to write a review because I just loved this so much and it's hard to put into words all the feelings I experienced while reading it. On the one hand, it's a very real story about a young man who struggles with anxiety about leaving his home--he always wants to go, but something frightens him and makes him feel that he would much rather stay inside and do things. He tends to think of all the negatives in the world. On the other, it's a r ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 05, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anxious kids, kids who love birds, kids who feel different
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
I was able to enjoy this story because I didn’t take it 100% literally. Otherwise, I’d have had to suspend disbelief in a major way. Somehow I was able to enjoy this tale, and I think it could be a wonderful bibliotherapy book for children who suffer from agoraphobia and other forms of anxiety. It’s also a lovely book for children who love nature, particularly birds. Because it’s an odd story, I think it will appeal to kids who feel that they’re different in some way, especially if that differen ...more
Chrissie
A present from Jeanette!!!! Thank you. I promise you, this book is so very lovely. Why? Well because the pictures are just perfect and the message imparted to children tells them to be brave in a gentle, kind and wonderful way. There is a cardinal family and a sweet man who is sort of shy..... Wait till you see the illustrations. I love picture books.

Buy this book and find some kid to read it to, then you need not feel guilty. Picture books are not just for kids.
Janna
Since this book won the Best Illustrated Children’s Book from the New York Times Book Review I expected to find great illustrations and after analyzing them, I began to see why they are so spectacular. The media used was colored pencil on watercolor paper. The colors are all created by combining different colored pencils. There is a variety of hues used but they have a low intensity. The lines of the coloring are mostly diagonal, creating an effect that the pictures are moving. The lines also ad ...more
Farnosh Erehvizheh
Albert is a young man that always makes excuses to not go outside. Either it's too cold, windy, and rainy or warm. Seems like he is afraid to go out and face the world and meet people. One day he takes out his hands out the window to check the weather. Suddenly a bird starts making a nest on his hand. This makes him stand there till the eggs hatch.

It’s a nice story about a young man faces his fears, and sticks to the responsibility of taking care of the nest. Even if it’s not possible to stay t
Megan D. Neal
Fearful Albert can always find a reason not to go outside. Then one day when he sticks his hand out the window to check the weather, a twig falls in his hand. In shock and surprise he watches as two cardinals build their nest in his hand. And the experience will change his life forever.

My girls, while recognizing how absurd Albert's situation was, were thoroughly delighted by this book. They both laughed at and empathized with some of Albert's fears, and they rejoiced when he was finally set fre
Linda
Albert sticks his hand out the window every morning to check the weather. (I can really relate to Albert here. Every morning I slip outside to check the weather.)One day a twig appears in his hand, then another, and a pair of cardinals has built a nest in Albert's hand! Through his kindness and patience, Albert discovers a whole new world, right at his fingertips!
Dolly
Jun 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
This is a strange, but entertaining story about a man who holds a nest for some birds. I'm not sure what inspired the story, but the narrative is somewhat philosophical, almost transcendent and the illustrations are wonderful. We enjoyed reading this book together and our oldest loved it so much that she's read it a few more times on her own.
Heather
We checked this one out for as long as you can keep a book out without getting turn-your-book-in reminders, then immediately put it on our request list and checked it out again a week later. Now we own it. It's that good.
Jess
Apr 24, 2014 Jess rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers. upper grades.
One of the teachers at my school used this as a prompt for students writing on how a character evolves over the course of a book. It worked perfectly for her lessons and she loved it. Good stuff.

Albert suffers from agoraphobia. When checking the weather with a hand out his window one day, a bird builds a nest. Then eggs. Then chicks. And so forth.

It's good. I did think about Ramona and Mike Mulligan and bathrooms. The fact of the matter is that I just jive better with There is a Bird on Your H
Justin Ferrell
Fiction, 2001

Albert is afraid to leave his home and go outside. Every day he says he will go for a walk, but a bad noise keeps him inside. One day while reading out to check the weather, two cardinals begin making a nest in his hand. He must stay still with his hand out the window or he could damage the nest and eggs. He slowly begins to grow used to the noises of the outside. After the eggs hatch, Albert has to help one of the baby birds fly away from the nest. From that day on, Albert was not
Kimberly
Albert is a man who is suffering from agoraphobia. He has a fear of leaving his apartment. He likes to place his hand out the window in his daily routine to see what the weather is like. But on this day, when a twig lands in the palm of his hand his life changes, a bird has begun to make a nest and ends up laying an egg. Albert stands there holding the nest for the birds so the egg will not fall. He can’t eat so the bird feeds him. When the baby finally hatches and flies away, Albert realizes t ...more
Mamamaggie
love love love this. mama says, as a sometimes shut-in, this story really brought on the waterworks. although perhaps not realistic that albert might be able to stand and subsist on nothing but grubs and berries, loved it all the same. and the message anyway is what comes clear, we must accept the good and the bad of the world as a part of the genuine experience of living. a classic in its own total right, should be on everyone's 'read' list.
maggie says "i like the book, but its not the best bo
Jill
I loved this book. It has great illustrations, but more than that, it would make a good book with witch to integrate a science lesson.
Jen
Albert, a man fearful of going outside, begins every morning by sticking his arm out the window to check the weather. One morning, a bird drops a twig into his hand, and then another, and another until a nest is built! Pretty soon, the nest has eggs in it and Albert can't help but watch in amazement as he has to stand there, holding the nest, taking care of the eggs as he can't pull his arm back in as the nest would drop. Beautiful story of a man coming to grips with his fears by watching the bi ...more
Kevin
Beautiful illustrations and wonderful story.
Amy
Bea rates it 1 star - she didn't like the story. She didn't like the personality of the man and she didn't like the way the story was told and she didn't like that it was unrealistic that he could hold the nest out of the window for so long.

I understand what she was trying to do with the story but I didn't care for the approach either. I can appreciate some things that are quite fictional and so can Bea but for some reason which I can't quite express this one didn't work for us.
Shelli
Quirky but fun book to share with children. Albert is a recluse suffering from agoraphobia who is watching life go by outside his apartment window. An unbelievable small event occurs that builds into to a discovery. As long as you don't take everything in this book literally and pick it apart a beautiful lesson can be learned. The illustrations are gorgeous and the the story worth reading and will make anyone smile.
Kristy
Hm. Well the illustrations are cool. Other than that, there's not much that can be said. It was very irrational for one thing. Somebody can't exactly do what Albert does for 12 days...it's not possible. I get the point of the story, that Albert needed to learn that good and bad go hand in hand in the world, and the birds are cute, but it's just not very believable.
Kaedra Hall
This book displays the good that can come out of facing one's fears. It pays to get out of one's everyday routines once in awhile and take responsibility to see something through that will have a better result in the end. This would be a great lesson for students to hear, and the pictures are all beautiful companions to the text on each page.
Sephire
This is a good read! It is about a man who is too scared to leave his house until one day when a bird makes it's nest on his hand when he sticks it out to check the weather. He lets the bird make it's nest and family on his hand until the last baby bird flies away and afterwards he decides to venture out in the world.
Sandy
I happen to love Cardinals and this book showed how beautiful they are. How the male will take care of the female while she tends the nest and babies. The illustrator, Jim LaMarche, is excellent in drawing both the male and female. A sweet, simple book that everyone will enjoy.
Danielle
A wonderful concept!!

Albert finds excuses not to go outside. He might hear a bad noise after all. But then, birds build a nest in his hand and Albert finds his way toward helping, toward acceptance, toward living life fully, good and bad.
Misty
This is a very nice book which is essentially about conquering your fears. It touches specifically on agoraphobia (fear of open spaces or going outside). Also a lovely story of kindness to animals. Truly spectacular illustrations.
Maryann
Beautiful illustrations and nice story. This story was being used to study character change with a low-level 2nd grade group. The clues and indirect language were difficult for them to grasp and synthesize.
Shawna
Albert is afraid of life. When two cardinals make a nest, his life changes forever. Albert "learns to fly" and live life despite some unpleasantness because the world also offers a lot of good things too.
Haley
Award for best illustration by the New York Times book review. About a man that is scared to leave his house. It teaches that the good and bad are all a part of the world and you have to face your fears.
Christine
This story is about a man who feels like he does not have a purpose in life. However, one little bird changes that.

"Eye-opening experience"
Barbara DaCosta
This picturebook evokes the best of theater--one character on stage, yet encompasses many rich layers of meaning and significance.
Marcie
Nice story with beautiful Jim LaMarche illustrations about Albert who holds a cardinal nest in his hand.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Once I Ate a Pie
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • Emily
From her website:

Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction.

Donna Jo has five children. She dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. She loves to garden and bake bread.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to
More about Donna Jo Napoli...
Zel Beast Sirena Bound Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale