Start by marking “The Boy on Fairfield Street” as Want to Read:
The Boy on Fairfield Street

The Boy on Fairfield Street

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Award-winning author Kathleen Krull zeros in on the formative first 22 years of the life of Ted Geisel. This is the first picture book biography of Dr. Seuss, written especially for his young fans who want to know what made him tick. The animals in the zoo that his father ran and his fondness for drawing them, the injustices he suffered as the child of German immigrants, a ...more
Published January 13th 2004 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy on Fairfield Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy on Fairfield Street

Lisa Vegan
Mar 25, 2013 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who’s enjoyed Dr. Seuss books; fans of picture book biographies &/or books about books
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
4 stars, star off because of my personal vegan sensibilities about how animals should be treated. However, this is a beautiful book and it’s very well done, and I’m so delighted that this book exists, I have to give it a full 5 stars. (I initially gave it 4.)

Seuss’s books were among the first books I was able to read on my own, and I own several of his books, including some of the ones published most recently. I knew very little about the man though. I learned a lot about him from reading this
Kathryn
4.5 STARS

Excellent picture book biography of Ted Geisel (Dr Seuss). Lovely half-page illustrations depict important moments in his life, while on the other page tiny illustrations by Seuss himself appear below the story to mirror them. The story itself provides just enough information on Geisel's childhood and youth to show how he became "Dr Seuss" (this is probably what appeals most to children) while more more detailed back matter explains the rest of his career. Highly recommended to any fan
Wanett
The cover of The Boy on Fairfield Street states that it is the story of how Ted Geisel grew up to become Dr. Seuss. But that text may be missed by the very audience the book is intended for. For a writer whose illustrations are such a standout part of children's literature history the cover, and interior illustrations, of the book are a bit of a disappointment. There is nothing of Seuss’ colorful style to help bring the story of his life alive. This was perhaps a conscious decision by the publis ...more
Adam
Sep 05, 2010 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who do, and don't, have it all figured out! And, of course, Dr. Seuss fans!
In the few short pages of this wonderful children's biography of the author known as Dr. Seuss, I learned more about the man behind the magic then I have ever known!

Not only does Ms. Krull do an excellent job of chronicling the author's early life, but she does so in an inspirational way. The message is clear that one need not submit to authority or play by the rules to become a great success. Imagination and the conviction to follow ones dreams is as powerful a tool as any. A message that is il
Angela Galvin
The Boy on Fairfield Street by Kathleen Krull is a story about Ted Geisel also known as Dr. Seuss. The book’s focus is on Ted’s childhood. Ted Geisel loved exotic zoo animals and had a desire for drawing pictures and making people laugh. The story begins with the joyous childhood memories with Ted’s family. Ted grew up in Springfield, Massachusetts. He was blocks from the zoo and three blocks from the library. Ted grew up loving books and animals. As great as Ted’s childhood was, he had suffered ...more
Jill
Krull, Kathleen; Johnson, Steve and Fancher, Lou; The Boy on Fairfield Street: How Ted Geisel Grew Up to Become Dr.Seuss, Random House, 2004, biography, k – 5th, rate 5 lexile AD950L

This is a children’s book about Dr. Seuss and his childhood. It describes his joy for drawing, his love for the zoo, his school life and how he was treated, his struggles with Boy Scouts, up to his adventures in college.

I gave this book a 5 for the illustrations and how it’s written as a children’s book to read aloud
Stacey Mulholland
A great picture story biography about Dr. Seuss. I read it to my 5th grade class every year. The book helps you understand why Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel created the types of stories and characters that he did. One of my favorite aspects of the book is that each two-page spread has an illustration by Dr Seuss from one of his books that matches what the story is telling us about him.
Dolly
This book was featured as one of the selections for the March 2015 Dr. Seuss reads for the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Mrs. Tongate
Great secondary read-aloud for Read Across America, March 2.

Theodor Seuss Geisel was born on March 2, 1904 in Springfield, MA. As a young boy, he drew on his bedroom walls with his crayons. His Mom didn't mind. He took 1 art class in high school. One day his art teacher warned him that he would never be successful at art, and he quit the class. Seuss was his Mom's maiden name.

Dr. Seuss was awarded a Pulitzer Prize, 7 honorary doctorates, and he sold hundreds of millions of copies of the best c
Michael Rank
A quick overview of a detailed life

The book covers Geisel's youth and adulthood as two separate sections, with the youth section being a more fun read. You get to learn about his three-legged dog and his stuffed bear Theophrastus. The author creates a vivid picture of Geisel's young life.

But the author loses those details in the second half of the book when Krull tries to summarize Dr. Seuss' life works in a small amount of space. It's no easy feat and I give her credit for trying.

The illustra
Tricia Douglas
This was a great story about the life of Ted Geisel (Dr. Seuss). What was most impressive was the fact that his childhood was not easy because of the way he looked at the people and places around him. Kids thought he was strange. Writing books for adults was his goal, but we know today what he ended up doing - being a child's best friend. He "invented" the early reader and continued to use his exaggeration technique to write some of the best stories there are today. Even though this is a childre ...more
Haydee Romero
The Boy on Fairfield Street is about Ted Geisel, also known as Dr. Suess, and how he grew up to be an amazing author. This is a good example of a biography written in a different format. The book starts off as” Once upon a time”. I want my students to now that writing can be creative. In a mini-lesson I would compare different biographies to demonstrate different writing styles. I want my students to be genuine writiers and not follow a given format. As a teacher, I want to provide a variety of ...more
Nichole
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! Kathleen Krull takes the reader on a journey of how Ted Geisel grew into Dr. Seuss. This story had me completely engrossed! I found myself laughing out loud and very angry with how Ted was treated growing up. Students will be able to relate to this story even though Ted’s childhood took place in the early 1900s, because the issues Ted face are still current. Ted felt different, like an outcast, which students today still feel. I loved reading about the ear ...more
Angel
Title: The Boy on Fairfield Street

Author: Kathleen Krull

Publication Date: January 2004

Annotation:

This book portrays the childhood of Ted Geisel and how his mother fostered his love of books. Growing up, Ted disliked sports and did not fit in well with others in his neighborhood. He began to draw and developed an interest in the newspaper comics. Despite an art teacher telling him he would never become a successful artist for breaking the rules, he eventually graduated high school to attend Dartm
Riley Mooney
Not a dull moment in this book about Ted Geisel aka Dr. Seuss! It amazes me that I knew very little about Dr. Seuss considering how much I enjoyed his books growing up. “The Boy on Fairfield Street” is short but is still very detailed, displays excellent illustrations, and is a fun read. I recommend having this book on your bookshelf, especially if you plan on reading a lot of books by Dr. Seuss. It is useful to know some background knowledge on the author you are reading about.
Jessica Jackson
Anyone who loves Dr. Seuss, like me, will definitely appreciate this book. I cannot recommend it enough. I believe that this book could very well turn a "non-Dr. Seuss fan" into an avid follower. The storyline follows the development of Ted Geisel, who would later use various pen names, including “Dr. Seuss.” By reading this book, every reader can experience Ted’s insecurities, thoughts, encounters with bullies, and inspirations for his stories. The illustrations are warm and colorful. While the ...more
Hannah Jefferson
This was an excellent read with charming illustrations. I have always loved Dr. Seuss' work, and his biography is just as inspiring. This is a story of a boy who was told by his art teacher that he was doing everything wrong, whose parents felt doubtful that he would go to college. Yet he went on not only to be a popular cartoonist for Dartmouth's university newspaper, but to become a bestselling children's author.

This book begins with Seuss being a young boy still going by his given name of The
Sandy Brehl
I've read several biographies of Dr. Seuss/Ted Geisel, and this one tops them all. Even for younger learners this works well as a read-aloud, but for independent readers it offers richly researched detail offered in fluent and entertaining language. The back matter is a bonus.
Lathleen Krull's biographies are guaranteed winners.
Earl
This book was a fun discovery because Kathleen Krull wrote the L. Frank Baum biography I enjoyed recently and the illustrators were responsible for the art in Seuss’s My Many Colored Days. This picture book focuses on Seuss’s early days until his early twenties. The notes in the back then proceeds to fill in the later years.
Emkoshka
An enjoyable look at the suburban Springfield childhood of Dr Seuss and the many influences that shaped him and his books. Lovely illustrations (including from Seuss's own collection), a heartwarming story and enough contextual biographical information to get a good sense of the man.
Cynthia Peacock

Dr. Seuss is my utmost favorite author of children’s books. I love his creative use of non-sense words. This biography chronicles the early life of Ted Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss. I believe primary children will really enjoy hearing about the childhood of an author they may be well familiar with and this might be a great way to introduce or reinforce the genre of biography. A fun lesson I would implement for primary school children would be to interview a classmate about what they did las
Leah Koch
This biography of Ted Geisel, or Dr. Seuss, tells how he grew up to be a great author. Stories about how he gained his inspiration from the zoo and struggles growing up as the child of immigrants will prompt thoughtful classroom discussion about what it means to be an author.
Chris Meads
This is a really cute book about the first 22 years of Dr. Seuss's life. I love how the pictures corresponded with the written word and how each page had a little drawing of what Dr. Seuss did in each of his books. At the back of the book, it gives a list of books that he wrote.
Jen
I love reading stories about how other people grew up. Dr. Seuss's story had some pieces that surprised me (Dr. Seuss drew on his bedroom walls and his mother didn't get mad) and other parts that didn't (Dr. Seuss's art work was rejected many, many times by others).
Katrina
Delightful children's book about the life of Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss). Although the first part is written as a children's book, a more adult version of his professional life follows. The book is a treat for any fan of Dr. Seuss and his over-the-top stories!
Aimee
A really great picture book for kids telling how Theodor Geisel became Dr. Seuss. An inspiring tale that teaches kids the value of finding your own gifts and talents in life and using them to make a difference. This book is also a really great tale of HARD WORK!
Judy Desetti
Biography of Ted Geisel. DR SEUSS.

Read this with third graders and it went great. I think this one is a winner to cover the biography of Theodor Seuss Geisel. Love this one for celebrating his birthday and Read Across America.

Recommend
Samantha
A highly readable and relatable look at Ted Geisel's (aka Dr. Seuss) childhood. He struggled with some of the same issues kids face today: bullies, trouble at school etc.

Each two page spread features a full page, color painting mirrored by a page of text with a Seuss illustration underneath. Often the Seuss image ties into the text and points to some of the inspiration behind Seuss's most well-known work.

Following the story is a four page spread on the author that gives more information about h
Madeline
Theodore Geisel’s life story is given in the form of a children’s storybook. Starting from when he was a child in Springfield, Massachusetts, this biography takes an honest look at who Theodore Geisel was before he became the well-known children’s author and political activist Dr. Seuss. Theodore Geisel followed his heart and found a way to make a living by publishing silly, fantastical stories and illustrations that represented who he was as an individual and as a very opinionated political and ...more
Kelsey
This book is a great book to teach students about biographies. This book is about the life of a famous author that many children have learned to love. This book could be used as a introduction or a mentor text to teaching biographies.
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • The Fantastic Undersea Life of Jacques Cousteau
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein
  • The Fantastic Jungles of Henri Rousseau
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
  • Monsieur Marceau: Actor Without Words
  • Annie and Helen
  • Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret E. Knight Became an Inventor
  • Manfish: A Story of Jacques Cousteau
  • Bon Appetit! The Delicious Life of Julia Child
  • A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
  • The Noisy Paint Box: The Colors and Sounds of Kandinsky's Abstract Art
  • Mrs. Harkness and the Panda
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • A Home for Mr. Emerson
  • Barnum's Bones: How Barnum Brown Discovered the Most Famous Dinosaur in the World
Wilma Unlimited: How Wilma Rudolph Became the World's Fastest Woman Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth The Beatles Were Fab  (and They Were Funny) Lives of Extraordinary Women: Rulers, Rebels (and What the Neighbors Thought)