Start by marking “A Dozen Deadly Roses” as Want to Read:
A Dozen Deadly Roses

A Dozen Deadly Roses

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Los Angeles Police Officer Jade Donovan is being hunted. There’s the lieutenant who’s out to get her, the psycho who’s stalking her and leaving dead roses at her door, but most frightening of all, she’s been assigned to partner with her son’s father, Mac Stryker. Mac doesn’t know he’s Donnie’s dad, and Jade will stop at nothing to prevent him from finding out and possibly ...more
Published June 3rd 2011 by Kathy Bennett

To ask other readers questions about A Dozen Deadly Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dozen Deadly Roses

Backcoverpromotions
Review by Kate

Being a reviewer you come across many different books. As an all genre review site we pride ourselves on reading every genre. It’s due to that policy that we formed contact with Kathy Bennett, and I am so glad we did.

A Dozen Deadly Roses is one of the best books that I have read during my career in the literary world.

The story starts with Jade and her partner Mac on an assignment. It went badly and Mac was taken off the team. The next time you see them they are put on an assignment
Bev
I loved this book! I thought the story line was great, and held the reader's attention. The characters were well thought out and each personality came through. A good mystery read that didn't pull you down with worthless information just to make more pages.
Sheila Myers
I always enjoy crime novels which are more than a story about a crime and how the police catch a killer. "A Dozen Deadly Roses" is no exception. Ms Bennett does such a great job of combining an exciting story about crime with the lives of the people wearing the badges. The characters come alive as the reader gets to know more about what drives them to do their job as well as the problems they face in their personal lives. The plot and characters jump off the pages and become real. I highly recom ...more
Babs
Jade has made someone mad for them to start sending dead roses to her house, work and or fathers house. As she is dealing with her boss who doesn't care what is going on, she gets her new partner. Once they meet they were both shocked as Mac use to be her training officer until a shooting happened and he was too drunk to help. Jade doesn't trust Mac, her philosophy, once a drunk always a drunk. She has learned that from her father a time or two. Her son Donnie has started to become close to Mac ...more
Alyssa
See more reviews at Hesperia Loves Books

If you love books that are filled with suspense, police procedure and romance, then this is definitely the book for you! A Dozen Deadly Roses is fast-paced and jam packed with action that will keep you keep you turning page after page. However, it doesn't stop there! The romance between Jade & Mac is filled with secrets, revelations, twists, & turns - but by the end, you know it was all worth it :)

There were several things that stood out to me whil
Quillracer
This is more a romantic suspense novel than a true mystery.

There were some inconsistencies (Jade’s son five years old most places, four years old in others) and redundancies (a sofa described with the same words in two adjacent sentences) and a few places where the text seemed a little awkward (long descriptions of a handgun where calling it a Glock or pistol would have been as effective).

The climax, too, could have been a little more drawn out, providing a little more tension, and it came a lit
Linda McLaughlin
Jade Donovan is a training officer for the LAPD who is being stalked by an unknown enemy who leaves dead roses for her. It started with twelve roses, then each day another box arrives with one fewer rose. She fears what will happen when the roses stop coming. She has a four-year-old son who depends on her. Then her professional life is complicated by the return to the LAPD of Mac Stryker, her former alcoholic training officer and Donnie's biological father. Now the tables are turned.

Mac Stryker
Sheri
The authentic law enforcement details made this an enjoyable read. The book is rather short and could have benefitted from some additional character development and views of normal life away from Jade's stalker. More of Jade and Mac on patrol would have been welcome.

There's a lot of dialogue in the book and the story is good, I just wished the story was a bit larger. The dialogue and pacing moved things along quickly, but I wanted to know more about Mac and Jade. I also wanted to hit Jade for w
Dana Delamar
Great action scenes and the details of policing were excellent. Bennett's depection of the young boy was also spot on (for once, a child that really seemed like a child instead of a small adult!). I also didn't predict the villain from the beginning, so that was good too.

I wanted a little more out of the romance (a few times, the heroine's thoughts/concerns seemed repetitive, and I would have liked her and the hero to develop their relationship a bit more), but the rest of the story was really
Roz Lee
I couldn't be more impressed with Ms. Bennett's debut novel. Every aspect of the story is spot on accurate, from the dialogue to the settings to the characters. Jade is a dedicated cop, tough as nails when she needs to be, but she has a soft core she only shows to the ones close to her. Mac made mistakes that cost him his job, but now that he's got his head on straight, he's trying to make a comeback - not an easy thing to do with the L.A.P.D. Jade wants to believe Mac has conquered his demons, ...more
Dori
I read this on my nook and it was 589 pages. (not sure if that differs from the print editions) It read very easily and very quickly. It took me a little over a week to finish it. There were times in which I wish the writing style would have been a little more sophisticated. I felt as though the author thought the reader would only understand the most simplest of vocabulary and sentence structure. At some points the dialogue was very simplistic and very predictable.
I did, however, very much enjo
vee fusco
Wow what a great book!

I couldn't put it down. It's so good you will be up all night reading. I can't wait to read her other books.
Amber Adamchuk
This was a good who done it, with the main character being a police officer being stalked. She attempts to get help through her department but with a female boss that doesn't like it, it gets blown off. She can't go to the captain because she saw him in a compromising situation and has a fear it's actually him. Then she gets re- partnered with an old "bad" partner with lots of personal issues between the two of them, from lust, secrets, and alcoholism it's a lot of drama. Personally I could have ...more
Read2review
** For the full review please check out www.read2review.com **

A Dozen Deadly Roses is one of the best books that I have read recently and it has definitely made it into my favourite 10 for 2011.

Read more here: http://read2review.com/our-reviews/k/...
Valerie
This a nice little kick read. I enjoyed the characters and the suspense that was throughout the book. I have really enjoyed reading more police procedure/suspense/thriller books as they hold a big interest to me.

The only downfall I found with the book, is there was a lot of repeat of memory scenes with the character. It got a little old reading the same thing but I just ended up skimming over repeated scenes.

Overall, nicely written and enjoyed it a lot. I look forward to reading more from this
Cindy
This book was out of my typical genre, but I thought it was really good. It was pure, fun escapism, that had suspense, mystery and passion.
I read it really quickly and enjoyed it, it was like a satisfying piece of chocolate!
Kathy's background as a LAPD police officer could be seen here, there were lots of great details and insider information on what the politics are in the police force and a woman's role within the department.
If you like romantic cop thrillers, then this is a good one!
Enjoyable, fast-paced police procedural with a good dose of romance and suspense. I loved the authenticity of the cop stuff, but also the authentic portrayal of alcoholics and those whose lives are affected by alcoholics, and the kid was adorably and authentically portrayed. Fantastic debut novel! If you're looking for an authentic cop story with a good dose of romance, this is a great pick!
Lee Lopez
This book was a real page turner. I loved Jade and Mac's relationship. Tons of sexual tension. It kept me reading to try to figure out who was sending the roses. Every time I thought I had it figured out, something happened to change my mind. Tons of suspense and surprises around every corner..I read this book in two days.
Anne OK
An engaging "second chance" romantic suspense with some interesting characters who carry heavy emotional baggage. Both are LA cops with a previous history. Although you know who the bad buy is early on, the enjoyment in the read is not diminished. Quick, easy and recommendable.
Kat Duncan
Lots of tense scenes, great depiction of cops on duty. Some minor flaws of repetition in the plot and secondary characters that could have been more well-rounded. Nevertheless, a great read, well worth the time. I'd definitely buy another book by this author.
Marian
I just finished A Dozen Deadly Roses and couldn't put it down. The story was well written and the suspense kept me up until I finished it. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series. It's nice to find a new author and this one was a treat.
Jaimie
Loved this book! I couldn't put it down. I loved all the characters, and went through every up and down with Jade as she went through them in the book. Great debut from Kathy, and I can't wait to read her future books!
Jerrie Alexander
Bennett's past experience as a member of law enforcement really shined in her book. The concept of one less dead rose a day increased the tension. Nice sexual tension. I really enjoyed this book.
Joyce McKune
Jade was training the cop who had trained her about 5 years ago. He'd left the force when he fell in the bottle after his wife and daughter were killed in a car jacking.
Jaymark
It was a good read. The romance between the protagonist was more exciting than the actual crime involved in the book. Overall, interesting read.
Amy
Oct 05, 2011 Amy added it
I literally could not open this up on my Nook. I tried numerous times, but alas it wouldn't work. Hopefully I'll try again in the future.
Glo
Enjoyable mystery kept me guessing who done it til the end. If you like happy endings you will enjoy this quick read
P.A.
Great read. Characters to care about and a good story to keep you drawn in. A definite recommendation.
Niteowl4ever
Impressive first novel by this author. I'm very much looking forward to more books from her.
Mishka
Fun quick read....nothing too deep and parts of it were totally predictable...
  • January Kills Me
  • Just Run
  • Blind Pursuit
  • Hidden in Plain View:: A Darryl Billups Mystery
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • Hard Press'd (Preston Andrews Mystery #1)
  • Borrowed Time
  • Lone Defender (Heroes for Hire, #4)
  • The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)
  • Getaway
  • Resuscitation (Sam Rizzo #2)
  • Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue #1)
  • Case File: Canyon Creek, Wyoming  (Cooper, #1)
  • Fuse of Armageddon
  • Dark Reckoning
  • Dead to Writes
  • Sacrifice of Passion
  • Deceitful Moon
Kathy Bennett is no stranger to murder and mayhem. After twenty-one years as a Los Angeles police officer, this retired cop’s authentic crime experience result in arresting stories.

As a police officer, most of Kathy’s career was spent working patrol in a black and white police car. Prior to retirement, Kathy was assigned as a Senior Lead Officer. Kathy also served as a Firearms Instructor at the L
More about Kathy Bennett...
A Deadly Blessing A Deadly Justice A Deadly Denial Murderous Beginnings