Start by marking “Diary of a Dog Walker: Time Spent Following a Lead” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Dog Walker: Time Spent Following a Lead

Diary of a Dog Walker: Time Spent Following a Lead

Based on the popular series of articles appearing fortnightly in the Telegraph, Ed Stourton muses on the meaning of life and all things canine as he walks his dog Kudu.

Anyone who ever walks a dog will know that if you are accompanied by a dog you can talk to anyone, and anyone can talk to you -- about anything. What is more, while we may know that a dog is just a dog, we c
Published July 25th 2011 by Doubleday UK (first published June 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Dog Walker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Dog Walker

Katrin V
May 25, 2017 Katrin V rated it liked it
If I knew the author in his serious broadcasting role I would probably have enjoyed this book better. I however, don't know much about him, and found his doggy observations quite accurate, but although well written, slightly too full of the author. Perhaps a dog enthusiast at the jail will be thrilled.
May 11, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I was rather disappointed with this book by a broadacaster I often hear on BBC Radio 4. I'd heard about it and expected something more than a cosy set of dog anecdotes and more along the lines of the interesting people he'd met whilst walking the dog and what he had thought about when your mind goes free, dog walking having potential as a moving meditation.

I hadn't realised that the book was based on a column he wrote for the Daily Telegraph. I thought it was a nice approach not simply to produc
Evanna
Jun 04, 2014 Evanna rated it liked it
It took me a while to "get" this book, as I hadn't been aware of the Telegraph column, nor am I much of a Radio 4 listener (Radio 1 actually...) So when I was given this book as a present, because I own a dog, I waited for it to grab me. It took a while, as I absolutely HATE dog owners who pander to their pets, and Stourton definitely does that. But I finally understood there isn't any thing TO "get". Its just sweet stories about a man and his dog, and they both became very endearing, especially ...more
Sam Herbert
Aug 06, 2015 Sam Herbert rated it liked it
A short, but sweet, read. I think all dog owners will relate to the stories in this book; the author talks about the pros and cons of owning dogs, and includes some embarrassing stories that I'm sure all dog owners have been through. It can come across as a bit pretentious because there is a lot of talk about philosophy, and the history of canines. But, for me, the parts about psychology within dogs was quite interesting. It isn't the best dog book I've ever read, but it is one I'll add to the c ...more
Edwina
Dogs provide us with many things. This book cleverly revisits The Daily Telegraph columns that Edward Stourton wrote about his experiences of dog walking with his springer spaniel, Kudu and demonstrates how with one simple idea it can spark insights into who we are as people. Engaging and thought provoking. Loved it.
Kay Townsend
Jul 28, 2015 Kay Townsend rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all. It is the first book in a long time which I have given up reading. It not only didn't flow it wasn't a bit like I thought it would be.

Sorry but I just didn't like it.
Carolyn Schofield
Dec 03, 2013 Carolyn Schofield rated it it was ok
This is a collection of articles written for the Daily Telegraph with some padding in between. I think I would have enjoyed them more as the original articles than in book form. They were pleasant, undemanding reading but no more.
Sheila
Jan 11, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it
Based on articles for the Telegraph in the Uk about dogs in general and dog walking, mainly his dog Kudu. Good read, sad at times. Gift from my sister for Chjristmas since I have house/dog sat and regularly look after my grand dog Ringo.
Neens Bea
Dec 20, 2013 Neens Bea rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2013
Three and a half stars, really - I had expected more lol moments and I was not prepared for some of the descriptions of dog fighting etc. - surely no dog lover would enjoy reading about such things!!
Maggie White
Jan 20, 2013 Maggie White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable and well informed read. Would have liked more of his own adventures whilst walking Kudu.
Kirstie
Aug 06, 2013 Kirstie rated it really liked it
A must read for all dog walkers.
Sondra Livingston
Not the best dog book I've read but still enjoyable, I agree with other reviewers I wish there had been more insight about the people you meet while walking your dog.
Stephanie
Aug 03, 2013 Stephanie rated it it was ok
A bit too twee for me.
Peter
Dec 21, 2013 Peter rated it really liked it
Whimsy with a wagging tail.
Debbie
Debbie rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Sean
Sean rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Bertie
Bertie rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2011
Megan Boissezon
Megan Boissezon rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
bookworm
bookworm rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Alison
Alison rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2013
Toria
Toria rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Sue Warren
Sue Warren rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Roni
Roni rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
helen billing
helen billing rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2014
Annabel
Annabel rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Edward Stourton is a newspaper columnist, writer and presenter of several high-profile current affairs programmes and regularly presents BBC Radio Four programmes such as The World at One, The World this Weekend, Sunday and Analysis. He is a frequent contributor to the Today programme, where for ten years he was one of the main presenters.
More about Edward Stourton...