Start by marking “Diary of a Dog Walker: Time Spent Following a Lead” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Dog Walker: Time Spent Following a Lead

Diary of a Dog Walker: Time Spent Following a Lead

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Based on the popular series of articles appearing fortnightly in the Telegraph, Ed Stourton muses on the meaning of life and all things canine as he walks his dog Kudu.

Anyone who ever walks a dog will know that if you are accompanied by a dog you can talk to anyone, and anyone can talk to you -- about anything. What is more, while we may know that a dog is just a dog, we c
Published July 25th 2011 by Doubleday UK (first published June 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Dog Walker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Dog Walker

Evanna
It took me a while to "get" this book, as I hadn't been aware of the Telegraph column, nor am I much of a Radio 4 listener (Radio 1 actually...) So when I was given this book as a present, because I own a dog, I waited for it to grab me. It took a while, as I absolutely HATE dog owners who pander to their pets, and Stourton definitely does that. But I finally understood there isn't any thing TO "get". Its just sweet stories about a man and his dog, and they both became very endearing, especially ...more
I was rather disappointed with this book by a broadacaster I often hear on BBC Radio 4. I'd heard about it and expected something more than a cosy set of dog anecdotes and more along the lines of the interesting people he'd met whilst walking the dog and what he had thought about when your mind goes free, dog walking having potential as a moving meditation.

I hadn't realised that the book was based on a column he wrote for the Daily Telegraph. I thought it was a nice approach not simply to produc
Sheila
Based on articles for the Telegraph in the Uk about dogs in general and dog walking, mainly his dog Kudu. Good read, sad at times. Gift from my sister for Chjristmas since I have house/dog sat and regularly look after my grand dog Ringo.
Edwina
Dogs provide us with many things. This book cleverly revisits The Daily Telegraph columns that Edward Stourton wrote about his experiences of dog walking with his springer spaniel, Kudu and demonstrates how with one simple idea it can spark insights into who we are as people. Engaging and thought provoking. Loved it.
Carolyn Schofield
This is a collection of articles written for the Daily Telegraph with some padding in between. I think I would have enjoyed them more as the original articles than in book form. They were pleasant, undemanding reading but no more.
Neens Bea
Three and a half stars, really - I had expected more lol moments and I was not prepared for some of the descriptions of dog fighting etc. - surely no dog lover would enjoy reading about such things!!
Sondra Livingston
Not the best dog book I've read but still enjoyable, I agree with other reviewers I wish there had been more insight about the people you meet while walking your dog.
Maggie White
Enjoyable and well informed read. Would have liked more of his own adventures whilst walking Kudu.
Peter
Whimsy with a wagging tail.
Kirstie
A must read for all dog walkers.
Stephanie
A bit too twee for me.
Marshadi Rocca
Marshadi Rocca marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Jen Gilchrist
Jen Gilchrist marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Helen
Helen added it
Aug 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Doggie Book Club: Our Review 1 9 Oct 24, 2011 02:21AM
Doggie Book Club: Intro 1 9 Sep 05, 2011 01:41PM
Doggie Book Club: Welcome/How it Works 1 10 Sep 01, 2011 04:56AM
Edward Stourton is a newspaper columnist, writer and presenter of several high-profile current affairs programmes and regularly presents BBC Radio Four programmes such as The World at One, The World this Weekend, Sunday and Analysis. He is a frequent contributor to the Today programme, where for ten years he was one of the main presenters.
More about Edward Stourton...
Cruel Crossing: Escaping Hitler Across the Pyrenees It's a PC World: What it Means to Live in a Land Gone Politically Correct Paul of Tarsus: A Visionary Life In The Footsteps Of St. Paul The Long March Remembered (Kindle Single)