Unhooked Generation: The Truth About Why We're Still Single

Unhooked Generation: The Truth About Why We're Still Single

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A startling book full of jaw-dropping insights into the real reasons that young men and women are having a harder time than ever before committing to a relationship How many times have you or someone you care about wondered: Why am I still single? Is it me, or is it them? Unhooked Generation answers those questions with important discoveries about the unique challenges fac...more
Published February 13th 2007 by Hyperion (first published February 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Unhooked Generation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unhooked Generation

Katie
Feb 06, 2009 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cynics, people who want to understand why the world is messed up
I am 28 and have been happily committed to the same man since 1998. I picked this book up out of curiousity, to see what kind of situation I might be dealing with now had I not married and settled down so early. A brief perusal of reviews on Amazon.com told me that a significant number of my peers find the book to be accurate enough. So I set forth, prepared to be mildly surprised and relieved that I'm no longer out in the dating world. I was interested to find out why my agemates have found it...more
Mary
Jun 03, 2008 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: men and women everywhere
Shelves: love-and-dating
Shevonne
Mar 18, 2008 Shevonne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: singles between 26 and 40
Straus spoked about many issues my friends and I see are plaguing our generation, and why many of us are still single. One thing I didn't realize until I read this book was that I was also part of the unhoooked generation. Checklists, online dating, fear of closeness, etc are some of the factors that is making it hard to find a fulfilling relationship. If you are between the ages of 26 and 40, and are still single, it's time to pick up this book.
Louise
Since there is little research on the topic, the author created her own subject pool. She found and interviewed 100 single generation Xers about marriage, their hopes, dreams and their single life.

Their common approach to marriage sounds like a consumer choosing a car. It starts with a check list of features. The models that look good are tested, engines are raced, and maybe a car is rented in the meanwhile. Any flaw is a "deal breaker". With so many models and alternative ways to spend money, t...more
Hoan
If you're still single, read this book and feel better!! There's nothing wrong with you - it's just society nowadays.
Jarrod Jenkins
Unhooked Generation is a strange, forgettable composition. It’s neither a rigorous sociological or psychological study nor an interesting compilation of vignettes. The bulk of the book attempts to describe the relationship woes of Gen-Xers (as Straus refers to people born between roughly the 1970’s and early 1980’s). Specifically, it explores through too many examples why so many young people are unwilling or unable to find lasting romantic relationships. This part drags through repetition. The...more
H R Koelling
Once again, another book that attempts to explain and elucidate some of the obstacles facing Gen Xers. I've been single for the bulk of my life and have always had a hard time communicating and connecting with the women of my generation. I feel handicapped by the fact that my parents are still married; and are happily married, too. I grew up in a traditional family and I have always sought to replicate this ideal with the few women I have dated. Yet almost all the women I meet have such drastica...more
Laura Beth
A bit depressing, but a good, honest look at trying to find love in America now.
kareem
An ok read on why people are staying single / unmarried longer than ever. It's basically 8 chapters of why 25-39 year olds (which Straus mistakenly calls Generation X) have more problems than ever ending up in a committed relationship, and one chapter on what to do if you want a fulfilling relationship. I could've done with 5 + 1, but then, the book wouldn't have been > 200 pages longer and I'm sure there's some rule about that in the publishing industry.

At the same time, it's a quick read an...more
Angela
This book is pretty depressing overall---it basically says that Generation X, due to a number of factors (outrageous expectations, contradictory needs and conflicting agendas, the media and entertainment industry, the collapse of courtship, feminism, and our perspective on sex and marriage), finding your "soul mate," is nearly impossible. The last chapter, "Finding True Love," is the best in that it breaks down what Generation X can do to try to recognize and circumvent some of these factors, an...more
Shelley
The first 90% of this book was interesting, and pretty accurate, I think. Then came the final chapter. The chapter on how to make relationships work sounds like it's coming from a hormone-soused individual who is smearing themselves with marshmallow Fluff while orating from the latest self-help books on how to make relationships work. Bah.

I guess that in defense of the author, she did say she was embarking on a new relationship. I'd like to hear her take on things ofter she takes off those rose...more
Hillary
This book does a really good job pointing out the reasons that our generation has so much trouble being in and keeping relationships. The problem I had with it was that she tells you whats wrong, but then doesn't do a very good job of giving advice as to how to fix the problems. I came away from this book feeling a little worse about myself. Now I could see all the things I was doing wrong, but I had no hope that any of it was going to change.
Maureen
Jan 12, 2011 Maureen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is frustrated in their relationship
I can't say this book was a huge eye opener to the fall of traditional relationships in this day and age. Much of what is written makes perfect sense. I don't know that these explanations are always true; we are talking about human nature and free will after all. However, as someone who is frustrated and saddened by relationships in this society, it does make me feel less alone in my concerns and maintains the old adage, love does conquer all.
Julia Dossett
Meh. Some good ideas about identifying the "scripts" we have in our heads about the people we should date, or the way our lives should go. Good personal stories and interviews to illustrate points. And still, after I read it I was like. Oh. I think I felt it didn't apply much to me since I have dated tons of different kinds of people. Its a quick read, though.
Erica - Bonner Springs Library
Oct 11, 2010 Erica - Bonner Springs Library rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: singles, married people, 20 and 30-somethings
Shelves: 2008
I borrowed this book from my sister. Though I'm no longer single, it gave me some insight as to why the men my sister meets aren't ready for marriage yet. It also made me think of myself when I was single, not so long ago, and the unattainable expectations I'd set for my mate. Definitely worth checking out.
Erica
Mar 27, 2008 Erica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: singles, married people, 20 and 30-somethings
Shelves: 2008
Mike
Amazing. If you feel an urge towards commitment and are wondering why it feels scary, awkward, or downright sick at the same time.. this book reveals why! I have had clients get hitched into amazing relationships after uncovering what was blocking their ability to let go & love. Amazing read.
Vicki Zelski
A great sociological view of why Generation X can't seem to find people to date/get married to. How our standards are sometimes too high and unrealistic, how "courtship" is dead and some of the ways in which society has changed since the baby boomers. Some of is was obvious but still eye opening.
Tessa
This book made me look at a lot of dating (or rather Non-dating) patterns that myself and most of the young women I know have. And yes, we are all screwed up because of this weird time we are trying to live in. It is definitely worth a look if you are part of my generation or younger.
Sara
Unhooked Generation is quite thought provoking. It deals with the reasons that so many people in their 20s and 30s today have trouble finding and maintaining lasting romantic relationships. It may be a bit over the top at times, but I think it's a fair (and hopeful) assessment.
Christina
So far I like the book. I like categorizing messy topics and this is definitely a messy topic. I like that there's a category for several factors behind the sociological reasons for singledom. I know it generalizes and makes things too simple, but I still enjoy it.
Carrie
Tremendous insight into the catastrophe that this generation is in the midst of in reference to love/ dating. There are so many things to learn from it- the main one being that you need to look within and adjust your own attitudes.
Bernadette
A few "evil influences" were definately culprets in the demise of my marriage, as well as what I find myself thinking and doing now in the "search" for a mate. I felt like I was reading about myself, as well as those singles around me.
Lydia
This book was really interesting and I found her explanations of a lot of things I do dead on.
It's a good read for single people that shy away from commitment or constantly choose the wrong person.
Madeleine
The author has an annoying style of describing the people she interviews and focuses on a very narrow population. Nonetheless, it was a good book for discussion in my 20something female book group.
Mscharlee
Jun 13, 2007 Mscharlee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every dating person today
This book is THE TRUTH on why so many people today are struggling with dating. Cause we are SO SCREWED UP!

We are! And I agree with all of it.
Natalie
May 22, 2008 Natalie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: puzzled singletons
You know, I used to think dating sucked. Now I am pretty positive that dating sucks. Does anyone know if you can mail order a husband?
Dorothy
Jan 23, 2009 Dorothy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if this is depressing or uplifting, but there is some comfort in having one's trouble explained, even if it cannot be fixed.
Aug 24, 2007 Sarah added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone single
Shelves: recentlyread
I learned a lot from this book...and actually a lot about myself. I think the author has some valid points.
kathryn
Although interesting, and in many ways, true... this book was also sadly disturbing... I wonder why?!
Unhooked Generation: The Truth about Why We're Still Single