Start by marking “The Dear Departed” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Dear Departed

Stanley Houghton

The Dear Departed

D.C. Recreation Department twenty-fourth annual one-act play tournament, The Arts Club Players present "The Dear Departed," by Stanley Houghton, directed by Herman P. Riess.
Published (first published June 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dear Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dear Departed

Noha
Oct 20, 2016 Noha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dramas
It's really good that they teach this in our college.

it makes me sad; the fact that this play was written in 1908, but the topic that's being addressed is actually happening now in 2016! we still hear of brothers killing each other just for the sake of money. Greed blinds them!

"Greed is a fat demon with a small mouth and whatever you feed it is never enough." This quote isn't from the play..

anyways, I liked what mr,Abel did. Lol, it's like he slapped everyone of them on their faces.
Dana
Jun 14, 2011 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: love, humor, school
Well, this is a drama that I was taught in school...Well, it shows how love, compassion and respect is being swallowed by greed in the society. It is a satire and gives you a lot to laugh about as well as a lot to think about.
Swati Menon
Jul 22, 2011 Swati Menon rated it it was amazing
i think this book is one of my favourite<3.................because when ever i read i feel very good.
Harpreet kaur dhillon
Oct 16, 2013 Harpreet kaur dhillon rated it really liked it
It's really a satirical drama .It made me chuckle at some scenes and that two sisters were extremely unscrupulous . whatever Abel(their father) did was a big slap on their face .This makes me remember the proverb - Tit for tat
Kalpak Shukla
Aug 24, 2011 Kalpak Shukla rated it really liked it
Literary Escpades
Aug 30, 2016 Literary Escpades rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone and Kids in CBSE Schools
Recommended to Literary by: NCERT
Shelves: plays, drama
I read this play as a part of my 10th Standard English co-curriculum. Later on we were supposed to reenact it, and I became the grandfather, well he has a minor role but still the major role.
The play is witty and delightful if not very humorous, but I think there was space for more. Nevertheless the playwright does not fail in bringing out the hypocrisy and abominably still present in our society.
Well 3 things that i learnt from this play are

Respect your parents
You can get married at any stag
Gatha G
Jun 08, 2012 Gatha G rated it really liked it
This was a drama I have to study this year,other than that I have a special attachment to this drama.Once for a competition our school decided to enact this drama and I was selected as the lead role.But I caught a fever and another girl was replaced in my part,I was really sad.But since then this drama has been like a part of my life.

The story is about two daughters,cunning and greedy,fighting for their father's properties.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄
The Dear Departed was a play we had to read for school. I liked it, it was funny in a way and ironical! Elizabeth and Amelia were characters of their own, similar in ways and contrasting all the more. Still I don't regret reading this, it's got a message for us, the "younger" generation and I've learned it :)
Vinod
Jul 28, 2016 Vinod rated it it was amazing
I enacted this play, as Mr Abel Merry Weather.. Still gives me the tickles with the white frech beard i had put on .. :P Anyhoo.. This has been one of my all time favourite play.. :) happy to see this again in here.. :D Grin..
Jeba Maimuna
Aug 30, 2014 Jeba Maimuna rated it it was amazing
njj
Sneh Pradhan
Aug 12, 2013 Sneh Pradhan rated it it was ok
Satire and Irony , reminiscent of the Victorian middle-class settings for Oscar Wilde's plays just without his trademark wit ..... Not as delightful as a satire can be .
Jintu Saji
Aug 14, 2013 Jintu Saji rated it it was amazing
the best book ever i had read.........................
Snehal Naik
Jan 03, 2015 Snehal Naik rated it it was amazing
A rather humorous account of how children assume that their old parents have become a liability and feel that the elderly are obliged to live a meagre existence under their dominance.
Preethi
Danish Nazeer
Danish Nazeer rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Gowthami Yadav
Gowthami Yadav rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Neon Heart
Neon Heart rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Queen
Queen rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Neeraja Chirayil
Neeraja Chirayil rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Muhammad Arman
Muhammad Arman rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2017
Omparkash Kumar
Omparkash Kumar rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
Baishalee
Baishalee rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Santosh Kumar
Santosh Kumar rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Amin
Amin rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Saahithi Reddi
Saahithi Reddi rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2016
Tanisha Shetty
Tanisha Shetty rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Anjum Azam
Anjum Azam rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Deepak
Deepak rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Deepika
Deepika rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Joan of Arc
  • Spring Fever
  • Good Behavior (Dortmunder, #6)
  • Poovan Banana and Other Stories
  • We Weren't Lovers Like That
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • The Best of Saki
  • On Balance, an Autobiography
  • Rumi: A New Translation
  • Let Them Call It Jazz
  • Marriage and Mary Ann
  • Sabrina Fair
  • The Song of Lunch
  • Tara: A Play In Two Acts
  • Shakespeare Stories (Top Ten)
  • Zafarnama
  • After Twenty Years
  • Airmail
Stanley Houghton was born at 1 Amy Villas, Doveston Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale, which was then in Cheshire, the only son of John Hartley Houghton, a cotton merchant, and Lucy Mary née Darbyshire.In 1896, the family moved to 2 Athol Road, Alexandra Park, Manchester, some two miles from the city centre. Houghton was educated at Bowdon College and at Manchester Grammar School. On leaving school i ...more
More about Stanley Houghton...