Start by marking “The Dear Departed” as Want to Read:
The Dear Departed

Stanley Houghton

The Dear Departed

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  11 reviews
D.C. Recreation Department twenty-fourth annual one-act play tournament, The Arts Club Players present "The Dear Departed," by Stanley Houghton, directed by Herman P. Riess.
Published (first published June 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Dear Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dear Departed

Dana
Well, this is a drama that I was taught in school...Well, it shows how love, compassion and respect is being swallowed by greed in the society. It is a satire and gives you a lot to laugh about as well as a lot to think about.
Swati Menon
i think this book is one of my favourite<3.................because when ever i read i feel very good.
Harpreet kaur dhillon
It's really a satirical drama .It made me chuckle at some scenes and that two sisters were extremely unscrupulous . whatever Abel(their father) did was a big slap on their face .This makes me remember the proverb - Tit for tat
Kalpak Shukla
Snehal Naik
A rather humorous account of how children assume that their old parents have become a liability and feel that the elderly are obliged to live a meagre existence under their dominance.
Preethi
Jeba Maimuna
njj
Gatha  G Namboothiri
This was a drama I have to study this year,other than that I have a special attachment to this drama.Once for a competition our school decided to enact this drama and I was selected as the lead role.But I caught a fever and another girl was replaced in my part,I was really sad.But since then this drama has been like a part of my life.

The story is about two daughters,cunning and greedy,fighting for their father's properties.

Propertea Of Frostea ❄️
The Dear Departed was a play we had to read for school. I liked it, it was funny in a way and ironical! Elizabeth and Amelia were characters of their own, similar in ways and contrasting all the more. Still I don't regret reading this, it's got a message for us, the "younger" generation and I've learned it :)
Sneh Pradhan
Satire and Irony , reminiscent of the Victorian middle-class settings for Oscar Wilde's plays just without his trademark wit ..... Not as delightful as a satire can be .
Jintu Saji
the best book ever i had read.........................
Mehrol
Mehrol marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Srihita Sri
Srihita Sri marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Hari Prabu
Hari Prabu marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Justin Idichandy
Justin Idichandy marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Prashanth Bala
Prashanth Bala marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Nanooo
Nanooo added it
Dec 23, 2014
Jestine Joy
Jestine Joy marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Issa
Issa marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Venky
Venky marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Ashwag
Ashwag added it
Nov 24, 2014
Asas2
Asas2 added it
Nov 24, 2014
Gtm Yadav
Gtm Yadav marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Amira
Amira added it
Nov 17, 2014
Shenba
Shenba marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Durr-e
Durr-e marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Poovan Banana and Other Stories
  • Summer Moonshine
  • The Best of Saki
  • কাবুলিওয়ালা
  • Marriage and Mary Ann
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • Shakespeare Stories (Top Ten)
  • The Storyteller's Tale
  • After Twenty Years
  • Airmail
  • After All These Years
  • Lotsa Luck (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #10)
  • The Painter of Signs
  • Bookless in Baghdad: Reflections on Writing and Writers
  • Poltergeist
  • Einstein and His Inflatable Universe
  • The One Million Pound Bank Note (Tale Blazers)
  • All You Who Sleep Tonight: Poems
Stanley Houghton was born at 1 Amy Villas, Doveston Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale, which was then in Cheshire, the only son of John Hartley Houghton, a cotton merchant, and Lucy Mary née Darbyshire.In 1896, the family moved to 2 Athol Road, Alexandra Park, Manchester, some two miles from the city centre. Houghton was educated at Bowdon College and at Manchester Grammar School. On leaving school i ...more
More about Stanley Houghton...
Hindle Wakes: A Play in Three Acts Five One Act Plays Five One Act Plays: The Dear Departed; Fancy Free; The Master of the House; Phipthe Dear Departed; Fancy Free; The Master of the Ho The works of Stanley Houghton Hindle Wakes: A Play in Three Acts Seven Famous One-Act Plays