Start by marking “Fair Game” as Want to Read:
Fair Game

Fair Game (Dan Shepherd #8)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  774 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The eighth book in the bestselling Dan 'Spider' Shepherd series.

Kidnapping is one of the cruellest crimes - lives are put at risk for cold, hard cash. But when Somali pirates seize the crew of a yacht off the coast of Africa, they bite off more than they can chew.

One of the hostages has friends in high places and Spider Shepherd is put on the case. He goes deep undercover
Published April 3rd 2012 by Hodder (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fair Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fair Game

Midnight
Jul 13, 2011 Midnight rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spider spins another thrilling web of action & intrigue!

Dan (Spider) Shepherd works for MI5 and ‘Fair Game’ is the latest in the present series of eight tales of his undercover escapades.

The story begins with Spider working undercover in Ireland. After a very brief sojourn at home, his next assignment involves Somali Pirates who have seized a yacht complete with five crewmembers. Intelligence garnered by MI5 suggests plans are also afoot to seize a container ship. The pirates have connection
Nick Brett
Jul 16, 2011 Nick Brett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One has to admire the author's bravery. He has taken his popular British Police undercover operative "Spider" Shepherd and moved him into the UK Intelligence Services. Partly, I think, it is because the controls and political correctness of the Police, did not give sufficient wriggle room to take his character where Mr Leather wanted to go. So now Shepherd and his boss are with MI5 and the story starts in explosive fashion as Spider breaks cover in Ireland to halt the execution of another underc ...more
Rachel Amphlett
Dec 04, 2011 Rachel Amphlett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes! Dan Shepherd is back with a vengeance in Fair Game. I was slightly disappointed with Rough Justice (previous book in the series) but this one is back to Stephen Leather's usual fast-paced, action packed story-telling. This was also the first of Stephen's books I've bought as a Kindle edition.

Rachel Amphlett
Author of White Gold
www.rachelamphlett.com
Monnie
Dec 04, 2012 Monnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I've made my way through eight of Stephen Leather's series featuring Dan "Spider" Shepherd; the only one remaining is the newest, False Friends, which was released this past August (and I have yet to get). It's been a great ride, and while some of the books are better than others - as is the case with most authors who write a series of books based on a single character - I can honestly say I've enjoyed each and every one.

In this one Shepherd, who's now with MI5 but continues to work for
Michael Parker
Aug 30, 2011 Michael Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller writer. Knows his craft. Spider Shepherd fits the bill as a hard man, the kind of alter ego many male readers might aspire to, although preferring to let Shepherd dish out and take the punishment. I rank Leather alongside the top writers of this genre.
Big Bertha
Oct 26, 2013 Big Bertha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like action and violence there's plenty of it in this book. It starts out with an undercover operation within the Real IRA not going according to plan and Dan 'Spider' Shepherd beating a hasty retreat back to the UK mainland. MI5 Intel have been keeping tabs on 'Crazy Boy', a powerful man in the London Somali community who they believe to be behind shipping that is being hijacked and the crew taken hostage off the coast of Somalia. When the crew from a private yacht being sailed from Duba ...more
James
Sep 16, 2012 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
Again, this is Stephen Leather at his best. He normally produces books that make most authors look sub-standard, but this and it's predecessor have blown even his standard away. Maybe it's because the books I have been reading around them have been, shall we say, dissapointing. So maybe that makes me see these in an even better light than previously. But even if that were the case I will stand by this; these books, this series, is amazing.

When I reviewed the first book in this series I claimed
Sue
Apr 19, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems to me that sequels seldom match up to the originals in either books or movies, and "heroes" quickly become dated, with a few exceptions - DeMille's John Corey and Leather's Dan Shepherd. Amazingly, 8 books in, I'm not yet bored with "Spider". I'd recently read a Wilbur Smith pirate adventure and wasn't keen to read another, but this was so much better, perhaps because of the clever inter-weaving of 3 story lines. The only thing which always seems a little stilted to me is Spider's relat ...more
Jeanette
Apr 29, 2012 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this, the latest outing for Dan 'Spider' Shepherd. The book takes us on a journey involving Somalian Pirates ( Forget Johnny Depp, these pirates mean business ) , Irish terrorists with a grudge , and Muslim fanatics. As usual , the story builds and builds and ends with a gripping finale, a feat that many writers can't seem to manage these days.
The next Spider Shepherd book is due in July, I can't wait
Pauline Dawson
Feb 14, 2012 Pauline Dawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Leather is one of my all time favourite authors and Fair Game did'nt dissapoint. Dan 'Spider' Shepherd is up and running from the first page and the action and story is full on and fast paced. In this novel he is up against Somali Pirates who are holding hostages.
Erin
Nov 29, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adore Stephen Leather books and this one doesn't disappoint. A great modern plot with Somali pirates, with Dan Shepherd living up to his usual hero status.
Meghalai Sadasivam
Extremely good and solid story
Jed
May 09, 2015 Jed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Stephen Leather books and I love Spider Shepherd. This in didn't disappoint - still full of excitement and tension. Worth a read.
David Dalton
Very well written. More than just action, which this book has. The plot is developed nicely and we get to see more than just action. We get to see all the details and planning that goes into the special op to rescue the hostages and track the bad guys. I was called Spider Shepherd a British "Chuck Norris" and I meant that in a good way. If your life was on the line, you would want this guy to put you out of the fire. This is the 2nd Spider novel I have read and I enjoyed them both. Stephen also ...more
Andrew Hamilton
Jul 06, 2016 Andrew Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Have been a fan of Stephen leather for a while now. Have read many of his books but the Dan spider shepherd series are my favourite. Took this book on holiday with me after reading the last two from the series and am so pleased I did. Stephen leather has once again written a truly fantastic read that grabs you from start to Finnish with some more suprises thrown in. My fave leather book so far. Would strongly recommend his books to anyone who haven't read them and are looking for something new. ...more
Chris Jones
Really Great read already want to read more from this Author.
Rick Brick
Jun 28, 2015 Rick Brick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent novel. Well written and plotted.
Jim Morton
May 15, 2015 Jim Morton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spider has new international work and I really liked new direction. Outstanding book.
David
Jul 06, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read
John Humber
I read this a year or so back. I used to be a great fan of this genre but maybe I've worked it out of my system or something. I don't know.

I keep trying, hoping to find something that really grabs me. Can't say this one did; I did finish it but I also found it not at all difficult to put down. I began to feel that the characters were more than a bit stereotyped; the hero a bit too superhuman as another reviewer here has observed.
Gary
Jul 25, 2015 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 8th book in the Dan Shepherd series by Stephen Leather. I have to admit I have found this series an exceptional good read and shows really consistency throughout and each book flows with strong plots, developing characters and an amazing amount of action. Again this book manages to keep the series flowing strongly and makes you want to continue with the next book immediately.
Ian Heap
Jan 10, 2016 Ian Heap rated it it was amazing
Great read... some really good tactical stuff on board the ship. Almost Undersiege in places without the aikido and the band saw!! lol

The rest of the plot moves along well, and there are some proper nail-biters and surprises too!!

Starting the next book in the series tonight!! I'm also stoked that there is another book in the series coming out soon!
Steve Binks
Feb 22, 2016 Steve Binks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back on form...Spider back on form...good book
Simon
Jan 31, 2016 Simon rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
4 1/2 Stars, never read any of Mr Leather's before, and was impressed, very easy to read, several plot lines which run thro the book, action all the way. Intelligent and topical - re terrorism and Somali pirates. Will be another series to get to grips with.
Eric Gates
Sep 02, 2012 Eric Gates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Forget the star rating system, I have a a new one: the number of cups of tea that go cold because of the novel! Three, yes, three in the five hours it took to read the whole book! Bets Spider Shepherd novel to date - well done, Stephen.
Richard Mulholland
Dec 30, 2012 Richard Mulholland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Loved this. The book had three story lines (or maybe two and a half), so it was a real page-turner.

One lose end but maybe that will covered in #9 :)
Jim
Mar 11, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Bit boring in the beginning, got better after page 150.

This writer should learn to use chapters, there's no single chapter in the book
stan
Aug 06, 2012 stan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done Spider
The new adventures of a Hard Man. High Adrenaline In a heart -racing read packed with suspense and drama
Michael Smith
Nov 17, 2012 Michael Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Go here for my review of Fair Game - http://mikesfilmtalk.com/2012/11/17/f...
Ramachandran
Jun 08, 2012 Ramachandran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, action, violent
fast read.. doesn't feel like stopping anywhere.. =)
violent and action filled thriller.. definitely a good read
  • The Operative (Stratton, #3)
  • PRIMAL Unleashed (PRIMAL, #2)
  • Reflexive Fire
  • The Reckoning
  • Bloodshot, Vol 3: Harbinger Wars
  • Spree (Codename: Chandler #2)
  • Ghosts (John Milton #4)
  • The Infidel
  • The Regiment: The Real Story of the SAS
  • MAC WALKER'S 40,000 FEET
  • The Tide (The Tide Series, #1)
  • Empire of the Dead (Arisen, #8)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • Slaughterhouse (The Retreat #2)
  • The Last Run: A Queen & Country Novel
Stephen Leather was a journalist for more than ten years on newspapers such as The Times, the Daily Mail and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong. His bestsellers have been translated into more than ten languages. He has also written for television shows such as London's Burning, The Knock and the BBC's Murder in Mind series. For much of 2011 his self-published eBooks - including The Bestsell ...more
More about Stephen Leather...

Dan Shepherd (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hard Landing (Dan Shepherd, #1)
  • Soft Target (Dan Shepherd, #2)
  • Cold Kill (Dan Shepherd, #3)
  • Hot Blood (Dan Shepherd, #4)
  • Dead Men (Dan Shepherd, #5)
  • Live Fire (Dan Shepherd, #6)
  • Rough Justice (Dan Shepherd, #7)
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
  • True Colours (Dan Shepherd, #10)
  • White Lies (Dan Shepherd, #11)

“her soul,’ said Taban. He looked over at the next” 0 likes